World Juniors

flyercanuck

Owen Power just did a hat trick for the Canada team. Score is 5:3 so far against Czech team. I looked for Owen Power data at eliteprospects.com. He is 6'6"; 214 lbs prospect defenseman who was drafted this year (1 round pick; #1 overall) by Buffalo Sabres team. Nice start for this prospect.

Our Wild prospect Pavel Novak has a goal in that game so far too.

• Like 1

Stats and highlights from IIHF's pages: https://www.iihf.com/en/news?maintag=6

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm20/skaters/scoringleaders

The first games not much of a show for Wild prospects 😐 O'Rourke didn't even get to play.

Peart with an assist, Novak with a PP goal and Wallstedt a win with a .900 save percentage. Lambos no points and plus/minus 0, just like Khusnutdinov, who also had a 2 min penalty.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Stats and highlights from IIHF's pages: https://www.iihf.com/en/news?maintag=6

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm20/skaters/scoringleaders

The first games not much of a show for Wild prospects 😐 O'Rourke didn't even get to play.

Peart with an assist, Novak with a PP goal and Wallstedt a win with a .900 save percentage. Lambos no points and plus/minus 0, just like Khusnutdinov, who also had a 2 min penalty.

Maybe stats did some changes later, but according to your 2nd link Khusnutdinov had an assist and +1 in his 1st game.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Owen Power just did a hat trick for the Canada team. Score is 5:3 so far against Czech team. I looked for Owen Power data at eliteprospects.com. He is 6'6"; 214 lbs prospect defenseman who was drafted this year (1 round pick; #1 overall) by Buffalo Sabres team. Nice start for this prospect.

Our Wild prospect Pavel Novak has a goal in that game so far too.

If the Sabres don't make the same mistake with Power as they did with previous top flight scorers (not supporting him with consistent players), then Buffalo could have a real good one here with that player.

I was impressed by Power's speed, tenacity, and hockey smarts. Just always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

If Buffalo wants him to do the same for them, they best not skimp out on the supporting players, and put Owen Power in the best possible situation to succeed at the NHL level.

• Good Post 1

28 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Maybe stats did some changes later, but according to your 2nd link Khusnutdinov had an assist and +1 in his 1st game.

You are right. He got an assist for the Mishkov behind the goal line goal. Quite a player that Mishkov.

And Power... If he wouldn't be named Power already, he should change his name.

• Haha 1

This will probably get lost in the whole "USA Win Shows Them Start Strong" headline, but I feel credit has to be given to Slovakia's goalie, slightly built, 5'11 165 pound netminder, Simon Latkoczy.

Looking over his very young career numbers, seems he does well in tournaments like this and in Europe, but has struggled when playing for the USHL in North America.
Still though, he face a ton, and I mean a TON of pressure from the US skaters in this WJ game. His defense for the first 40 minutes especially seemed either non-existent or just plain slow, and he was left on his own more often than I am sure he or the coaching staff wanted.

Yes, Latkoczy lost the game 3-2, but I tell ya, some of the stops he made, a few point blank, and some off of deadly one timers, the US could have easily had 5 maybe 6 goals in this game.

39 out of 42 shots stopped, and I would dare to say the lion's share of those 39 stops were high danger, high duress saves.

Latkoczy, if I remember his pre-game bio correctly, seems committed at age 19 to play for the University of Omaha-Nebraska.
Due to his size, he may not even be a real consideration to enter and be drafted by an NHL team, but I thought his outstanding play should be mentioned because all the while I watched the US-Slovakia game, the announcers kept gushing about how much pressure the US generated and how good they were.

Well, they were, but they barely mentioned Simon Latkoczy's efforts to keep the game where it was (at one time a 3-0 lead for the US) while his Slovak teammates FINALLY made a push in the 3rd period.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This will probably get lost in the whole "USA Win Shows Them Start Strong" headline, but I feel credit has to be given to Slovakia's goalie, slightly built, 5'11 165 pound netminder, Simon Latkoczy.

Looking over his very young career numbers, seems he does well in tournaments like this and in Europe, but has struggled when playing for the USHL in North America.
Still though, he face a ton, and I mean a TON of pressure from the US skaters in this WJ game. His defense for the first 40 minutes especially seemed either non-existent or just plain slow, and he was left on his own more often than I am sure he or the coaching staff wanted.

Yes, Latkoczy lost the game 3-2, but I tell ya, some of the stops he made, a few point blank, and some off of deadly one timers, the US could have easily had 5 maybe 6 goals in this game.

39 out of 42 shots stopped, and I would dare to say the lion's share of those 39 stops were high danger, high duress saves.

Latkoczy, if I remember his pre-game bio correctly, seems committed at age 19 to play for the University of Omaha-Nebraska.
Due to his size, he may not even be a real consideration to enter and be drafted by an NHL team, but I thought his outstanding play should be mentioned because all the while I watched the US-Slovakia game, the announcers kept gushing about how much pressure the US generated and how good they were.

Well, they were, but they barely mentioned Simon Latkoczy's efforts to keep the game where it was (at one time a 3-0 lead for the US) while his Slovak teammates FINALLY made a push in the 3rd period.

One of my fondest hockey memories was during the 2015 WJs when Canada beat Slovakia 5-1 in the semis...their goalie Denis Godla kept it from going into double digits. After the game they awarded player of the game for each team, not sure why but they gave it to another Slovak. We all started chanting "Goalie!, Goalie!, Goalie!". One of his teammates skates over and tells him what we're saying, so he raises his stick and we give him a standing ovation. Bet he never forgets that moment, even though they lost.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Apparently Sweden - Slovakia game was quite a goal tending duel (I couldn't see that game). Wild prospect Wallstedt being "phenomenal" according to the Swedish media, while his team was "not playing that good" and getting a shutout.

I think Wild prospect Wallstedt was phenomenal in this game because he was able to stop 48 shots into his net and have got a shutout (3:0). Slovakia's goalie was able to stop only 24 out of 26 shots into his net. 3rd goal into Latkoczy net was an empty netter. 

And our other Wild prospect Khusnutdinov have got a second assist in his second game against Switzerland .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

There goes the games down the drain. Why do the teams have expanded rosters if they are not used? It's hard to imagine any of the teams could go through this with no infections.

I had just assumed they had a plan in place.... your mentioned expanded rosters, emergency replacements on standby, that kind of thing.
So the plan was apparently simply forfeit?

Of course we don't know the severity of this particular case.
But if it is really bad, that can only mean doom for the rest of the tournament as no team is an island...

United States forfeits world junior hockey championship preliminary game due to quarantine

2:12 PM ET
  • wyshynski_greg.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Greg WyshynskiESPN
  • A was forced to forfeit its men's U20 world junior championships preliminary game against Switzerland on Tuesday because of a "mandated team quarantine" following two positive COVID-19 tests among the players in Alberta, Canada.

The International Ice Hockey Federation announced that rather than a postponement, the game will be recorded as a forfeit and a 1-0 win for the Swiss, per IIHF rules.

The U.S. team's quarantine status will be reevaluated to check for false positives and to determine whether it can compete in its next preliminary round game, which is scheduled for Wednesday against Sweden.

The U.S. won its first game of Group B play, 3-2 over Slovakia, on Sunday. The top four teams from each five-team group advance to the playoff round.

"We're extremely disappointed, especially for our players. We're operating in an ever-changing landscape and that's very challenging.

We've followed the tournament protocol from the outset and will continue to do everything we can to ensure our players have the opportunity to compete at the World Junior Championship," said U.S. national junior team general manager John Vanbiesbrouck, who was recently named GM of the men's Olympic hockey team as well.The world juniors are being played in Edmonton and Red Deer, Alberta. Team USA is the defending gold medalist.

Connor Bedard beats Gretzkys record of most goals in a game by a 16 year old for Canada by scoring 4 in a 11-2 romp over Austria. It also ties most goals in a game by any age, though he is the youngest. He outshot Team Austria in the 1st period 7-6. 

For Flyer fans, Desnoyers had 3 assists.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Oh, boy, love my Canadian Cousins but Team USA getting hosed here..  we got 25 hockey players there.. 🇨🇦🇺🇲🏒🤔

It's the only way to prevent the entire tourney from being shut down. They have to make sure only two players are positive. One game isn't going to stop them from making the playoffs.

Canada's Connor Bedard, 16, youngest to score four goals in world junior hockey championship game

12:57 AM ET
  • Associated Press

EDMONTON, Alberta -- Connor Bedard became the youngest player to score four goals in a world junior hockey championship game, leading Canada to an 11-2 win over Austria on Tuesday night.

The 16-year-old joined Mario Lemieux (1983), Simon Gagne (1999), Brayden Schenn (2010), Taylor Raddysh (2016) and Maxime Comtois (2018) in the Canadian junior men's record books for the most goals scored in a game.

Bedard was the seventh 16-year-old named to the national men's junior team in its 45-year history, joining players such as Wayne Gretzky and Sidney Crosby. Gretzky's best single-game scoring performance at the world juniors was a three-goal game against Czechoslovakia in 1977.

Mason McTavish scored twice and Cole Perfetti had a goal and two assists for Canada (2-0). Kent Johnson, Lukas Cormier, Logan Stankoven and Mavrik Bourque also scored for the Canadians.

Eliot Desnoyers and Will Cuylle each assisted on three Bedard goals. Brett Brochu stopped 20 of 22 shots for the win in his first start of the tournament.

Lukas Necesany and Mathias Bohm scored for Austria (0-2) with beleaguered starter Leon Sommer making 53 saves.

Canada plays its second Pool A game in as many days Wednesday against Germany and concludes the preliminary round on Dec. 31 against Finland.

The Canada-Austria game was the only one played Tuesday because of COVID-19 issues. Two American players testing positive forced the U.S. to forfeit a Pool B game to Switzerland with the entire team in mandatory quarantine.

The Swiss were awarded a 1-0 win under International Ice Hockey Federation rules. The IIHF has yet to determine if the U.S. can play Wednesday's Pool B game against Sweden.

The quarterfinals are Sunday, followed by the Jan. 4 semifinals and Jan. 5 medal games.