Jump to content

Game 27: Devils at Flyers; 12/14/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, radoran said:

Another poster said that to have a 50% chance at the playoffs they kind of need to win 2 of every 3 games from here on. There were statistical analysis it was based on regarding the teams they need to get past to make it happen.

This could just be another "hopeful sign" in what has been a decade of "hopeful signs."

 

Here are the updated numbers.  If they can somehow get to Seattle without a loss (MTL, OTT, WSH, PITT... 7 wins in a row) they would have made up just about 50% of their of their 10 game skid.   The problem then becomes, they are out west for the holidays and we know how that's gone for the past few years.  

 

Even if they turn in a semi-magical performance, they are still just back where they started at the end of November - fighting for a 6-8 spot.   Maybe the squeak into the playoffs but they are back to just being good enough to make the first round and just bad enough to not get a good draft pick.  

 

Regardless of the last 3 (and the next 2), just beating average or worse teams, doesn't make things all better.

 

image.png.7a5484c8003b15b23447a9cf10c29710.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like a good time to remind folks that it's the hope that kills you.

Isn't this the run the team always goes on right after they play themselves out of the playoffs? You know, the one that gives us the lousy draft pick.

Hoping for the return of Wade Allison tells me ALL I need to know about this team and the "bang" we're getting for our buck.....   We're icing G, Coots, Hayes, Atkinson, TK, Farabee, and (gulp) JVR for a mere "Quadrillion dollars" and we're hoping for some added spunk from Wade.... A guy I had never heard of 10 months ago....Yikes!   He was fun as hell to watch last year though!

Posted Images

Apparently, Yeo made it clear that Washington and Pittsburgh aren't the only signature battles in our division--all divisional games are statement games, particularly at home.  That's a wise man speaking.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Apparently, Yeo made it clear that Washington and Pittsburgh aren't the only signature battles in our division--all divisional games are statement games, particularly at home.  That's a wise man speaking.  

 

Well, thank God someone finally pointed that out to them.

 

If this was some stunning new revelation to them, it's even clearer what the problem has been for the past decade.

 

This team has consistently given up points early in the season and put themselves in position to need to make a Herculean run to even be competitive.

 

Two points in October and November are as important - if not more important - than "down the stretch" because it puts a team in position where "the stretch" is about playoff position, not just making the playoffs...

  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, radoran said:

 

Well, thank God someone finally pointed that out to them.

 

If this was some stunning new revelation to them, it's even clearer what the problem has been for the past decade.

 

This team has consistently given up points early in the season and put themselves in position to need to make a Herculean run to even be competitive.

 

Two points in October and November are as important - if not more important - than "down the stretch" because it puts a team in position where "the stretch" is about playoff position, not just making the playoffs...

 

Every year like clock work. So when for the love of God will it change??

 

When will we see a team play hard each night from the start of the year till the end??

 

Sure no team is going to win every game every night and yes we know there will be games on some nights that are hard to get up for every team goes through that - but what i'm talking about is more of the same we have been watching for the last decade and will we every NOT have to see this??

 

Well as the ol saying goes i will believe it when i see it...

 

:beer:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, radoran said:

 

Well, thank God someone finally pointed that out to them.

 

If this was some stunning new revelation to them, it's even clearer what the problem has been for the past decade.

 

This team has consistently given up points early in the season and put themselves in position to need to make a Herculean run to even be competitive.

 

Two points in October and November are as important - if not more important - than "down the stretch" because it puts a team in position where "the stretch" is about playoff position, not just making the playoffs...

 

 

It just goes to show, for the "we're definitely a playoff team" crowd, that this team is the same as it ever was. Mediocre. Contending teams don't lose 10 in a row. We do that pretty much every year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, radoran said:

 

Well, thank God someone finally pointed that out to them.

 

If this was some stunning new revelation to them, it's even clearer what the problem has been for the past decade.

 

This team has consistently given up points early in the season and put themselves in position to need to make a Herculean run to even be competitive.

 

Two points in October and November are as important - if not more important - than "down the stretch" because it puts a team in position where "the stretch" is about playoff position, not just making the playoffs...

hate to say it but every since pronger left this roster, this team went downhill of trying to figure how to play consistent. they are lacking that pronger type of leadership on this roster, like every move this organization is making is small moves and not big time impact type of players that will make this players feel excited to play for that guy, like for instance a patrick kane and drew doughty types. we need a major impact type of move.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see remember how to score again. It kind of helps you know win games and all.

 

 

Since the 2016-17 season, Cam Atkinson leads the NHL in shorthanded goals with 14.

 

A lot more teams to climbing over. Montreal is on deck. 5 points from last wild card with two games in hand.

 

Happy for Oskar too. If they can get this kid going on a consistent basis it will help a lot.

 

 

If they can start getting healthy it should help too.

 

Tanner Laczynski (hip) on the ice today with Joel Farabee (shoulder) and skills coach Angelo Ricci.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Focusing on the last night game only, this was a really sound game by the Flyers. Hart made some tough, quality saves, and I thought the whole D looked good.  But I think it was also a reflection of how crappy the Devils played in this game, so it's hard to make anything out of it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

hate to say it but every since pronger left this roster, this team went downhill of trying to figure how to play consistent. they are lacking that pronger type of leadership on this roster

 

For all that people (and players) may not "like" Sidney Crosby, he comes across as a leader that - like Pronger - demands consistency.

 

That sort of culture persists even when that player is missing. For all the struggles the Pens had to start the season - and missing Crosby and Malkin for much of it, still missing Malkin - they're sitting nine points up on the Flyers and in a playoff position.

 

And, to be perfectly clear, I hate Crosby :hocky:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

5 points from last wild card with two games in hand.

 

Also four points behind Boston, who has two games in hand on them... Trailing Columbus(!?) by three with no games in hand.

 

Kinda shows the importance of these October and November points...

 

And they're trailing Detroit in that last wild card spot. Anyone have Detroit on their "playoff threat" board to start the season?

 

Last night was great. Now go beat Montreal and Ottawa like you should.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

Yes show me you won't play down the the level of competition you face...holds breathe.

 

:PopcornSmiley2:

 

 

I wouldn't mind it so much if they could only play UP to the level as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Digityman said:

 

Here are the updated numbers.  If they can somehow get to Seattle without a loss (MTL, OTT, WSH, PITT... 7 wins in a row) they would have made up just about 50% of their of their 10 game skid.   The problem then becomes, they are out west for the holidays and we know how that's gone for the past few years.  

 

Even if they turn in a semi-magical performance, they are still just back where they started at the end of November - fighting for a 6-8 spot.   Maybe the squeak into the playoffs but they are back to just being good enough to make the first round and just bad enough to not get a good draft pick.  

 

Regardless of the last 3 (and the next 2), just beating average or worse teams, doesn't make things all better.

 

image.png.7a5484c8003b15b23447a9cf10c29710.png

I can see it now...we win a few more games and the Flyers announce Yeo is the permanent coach, G is signed to a four year 7 million dollar deal and we will be buyers at the deadline.  What does it all mean.......10 more years of mediocrity. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

G is signed to a four year 7 million dollar deal

 

I have never, ever, believed that they were not going to re-sign Giroux. Still feel that it is inevitable.

 

We will forever talk of the legend of that one time they won a playoff series...

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1471141046696488961?s=20

 

 

Edited by radoran
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

The team loses 10 games in a row and then beats 3 bottom feeders and people start talking playoffs.  Unbelievable.

i guess they want to hold on to some hope with flyers since every philla team is playing like trash.

Edited by tucson83
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

i guess they want to hold on to some hope with flyers since every philla team is playing like trash.

 

No one not on a hockey related board is really talking about the Flyers at all. They are never on SportsTalk, not even the station that broadcasts them. They're not really on any but the hardcore fan's radar. The guy in my neighborhood with the HEXY 1 license plate used to drive a tricked out Flyers-themed truck. Now he's got a plain ol' truck...

 

Sixers are in a playoff position (I don't really care about the NBA).

And everyone is talking about what the Eagles need to do to get into the playoffs... :hithead:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

The team loses 10 games in a row and then beats 3 bottom feeders and people start talking playoffs.  Unbelievable.

 

Well it is true. Playoffs are a possibility.

 

I get it you don't like it.

 

But even missing the playoffs doesn't promise they will still blow it up.

 

In fact either way they will blame it on coaching this club is in the ptoverbial mediocrity plain of the universe and I don’t know if they will ever find a way out....

 

:bonkingheadonwall:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya know....I continue to contest that Risto is a good addition to this squad. I REALLY like his game.....Ya can't hate a player because some idiot paid WAY more for him than he was worth!

 

Carter Hart is the best Goalie we've had since Hextal.

 

Take THAT Blackwood!....your reign of terror is over!

 

Also, hope everyone got a good look at JVR last night....Cuz he'll be invisible again in no time!

 

Prove me wrong PIGEON!!!

 

(Fun win but obviously I'm still skeptical)

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Ya know....I continue to contest that Risto is a good addition to this squad. I REALLY like his game.....Ya can't hate a player because some idiot paid WAY more for him than he was worth!

 

 

What about if some idiot pays way more than he's worth....twice? 

 

Cause his contract runs out this year. And Fletcher isn't going to let him walk after giving up all those assets. And you just know he's going to pay him for the player he wants him to be, not the player he actually is.

  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, radoran said:

Last night was great. Now go beat Montreal and Ottawa like you should.

 Montreal is a really bad team.  Just plain bad. They might as well start tanking to compete with Arizona for the right to select Shane Wright during the next year draft.  An AHL team should be able to beat them. 

 

Ottawa is a bit tougher.  They just destroyed the Panthers *in* Florida. Prior to that, they beat Tampa 4:0. And earlier in December, beat Colorado and Carolina. This team is better than what their record suggests.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

They just destroyed the Panthers *in* Florida.

I saw this score and actually went to NHL.com to confirm.....That's a crazy win on the road for a bottom feeder like OTT.

 

Good for them.

 

(Maybe a couple Flyers were watching the game?!...)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...