Giroux has been cursed

Guest JackStraw

Had to happen eventually, you know it's all downhill from here...

Flyers chairman Ed Snider gave 24-year-old Claude Giroux the highest compliment by comparing him to the person considered the greatest Flyer of all.

"I tell everybody he reminds me of Bobby Clarke at a similar age," Snider said before Monday's Philadelphia Sports Writers Association Dinner, where Giroux received the Outstanding Philadelphia Pro Athlete Award. "He looks like he did, acts like he did, played like he did. It's kind of exciting."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20120131_Flyers_return_to_the_ice_with_a_few_bumps_and_bruises.html

I kind of agree with Snider on this one though..he does remind you of a young Clarkie..

Richards screwed himself, he could of had the world but rather get drunk and cry like a baby..

I kind of agree too, but you're not supposed to say things like that. Wait... I take it back! I don't kind of agree!

Had to happen eventually, you know it's all downhill from here...

Flyers chairman Ed Snider gave 24-year-old Claude Giroux the highest compliment by comparing him to the person considered the greatest Flyer of all.

"I tell everybody he reminds me of Bobby Clarke at a similar age," Snider said before Monday's Philadelphia Sports Writers Association Dinner, where Giroux received the Outstanding Philadelphia Pro Athlete Award. "He looks like he did, acts like he did, played like he did. It's kind of exciting."

http://www.philly.co...nd_bruises.html

It is a nice compliment but I think Claude has a lighter demeanor than Clarkie. Clarkie is so intense and competitive and it would have been hard for Clarkie to chatter like Claude when he was carving people and doing some of the other stuff he did his whole career. Claude is very driven though and I guess that's what Ed is talking about. Hope he hasn't jinxed him.

It is a nice compliment but I think Claude has a lighter demeanor than Clarkie. Clarkie is so intense and competitive and it would have been hard for Clarkie to chatter like Claude when he was carving people and doing some of the other stuff he did his whole career. Claude is very driven though and I guess that's what Ed is talking about. Hope he hasn't jinxed him.

Yeah, you're right. Giroux doesn't seem quite as mean as Clarke was. But I get the feeling that he'd still push an old lady in a wheelchair down the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art (the Rocky steps) if meant winning a game. But he'd do it with a smile and probably apologize afterwards.

Edited by JackStraw

too bad the chairman can't seem to get past 1976...

I know Robert Earl is specail in these parts, but man it's almost 40 years ago, Claude is his own guy; kind of bothers me that everytime someone shows a competitive nature and has some skill they're compared to 16,,, how bout let the new "hope' find their own place ?

REC's shoes are mighty tough to fill so quit trying...

my hope is 28's number hangs in the rafters in philly and his name engraved on the cup 3 times then everyone after gets compared to him...

I know Robert Earl is specail in these parts, but man it's almost 40 years ago, Claude is his own guy; kind of bothers me that everytime someone shows a competitive nature and has some skill they're compared to 16,,, how bout let the new "hope' find their own place ?

This. It should be strictly verboten to compare any Flyers player to Clarke. Nothing good can come of it.

too bad the chairman can't seem to get past 1976...

REC's shoes are mighty tough to fill so quit trying...

my hope is 28's number hangs in the rafters in philly and his name engraved on the cup 3 times then everyone after gets compared to him...

Can't we get his name once on the cup first

@JackStraw

The only difference is that Clarke was surrounded by tough as nails gritty players and Giroux is surrounded by creampuffs.

I disagree the Flyers have more toughness this year with Simmonds, Schenn, Talbot, Bourdon, Hartnell, Rinaldo/Sestito I actually like the makeup of the team this year, I think the dmen need to toughen up overall as a group..excluding Kimmo because he's invaluable

Article on CSNPhilly.com about Jagr wanting to help G win the scoring title. Nothing special, but there is a quote from Giroux that is pretty interesting regarding the locker room culture and the difference from last year.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers-talk/post/Jagrs-goal-to-help-Giroux-win-NHL-scorin?blockID=641844&feedID=704

“He’s been playing well for us this year. He’s one of the reasons why we’re on top. He shows up every game. He wants to play. He wants to win. He’s changed the attitude in this locker room. When you see a guy like that work like that, it’s great to see.”

This. It should be strictly verboten to compare any Flyers player to Clarke. Nothing good can come of it.

I remember reading how a scout once joked that all pro sports people are Hindu: they believe all players are the reincarnation of someone who played before.

I remember reading how a scout once joked that all pro sports people are Hindu: they believe all players are the reincarnation of someone who played before.

It does seem that way. Everybody has to be the next somebody. But nobody is ever the next Mike York.

I think some people are actually hoping that Bryz will become the next Chechmanek. Scary in hindsight. And every other kind of sight.

I would trade our quirky, consistently putrid goaltender for a quirky, inconsistent but occasionally brilliant goaltender any day.