Flyers trying to tame Rinaldo..here we go again

Guest orange_crush

they should be working on making sure they are all clean and within the rules. How in the world is a player of his calibur going to be useful if he isn't hitting? He certainly isn't lighting up the goals column on the score sheet. He's an energy guy who's best aspect is his physical play. He has hockey skills which help but the main attraction here is his hits and occasional fight. Besides. What's the point of dressing the guy if he's only going to get 5-8 min a game and is being instructed to only throw one body check per period? just plain stupid if you ask me.

Keep the style, just work out the timing issues that may be what is sending him to the box. His hits are clean, they al aren't timed right so he's getting calls against. And I'd really like to see refs call all players equal. He definitely wasn't getting a fair shake in the early part of the season. I saw a lot of ticky tack calls go against simply because he was the "AHL call up that is known for physical play" so they call him early and often to send a message, even if most of the calls wouldn't be made if he was an NHL regular.

they should be working on making sure they are all clean and within the rules. How in the world is a player of his calibur going to be useful if he isn't hitting? He certainly isn't lighting up the goals column on the score sheet. He's an energy guy who's best aspect is his physical play. He has hockey skills which help but the main attraction here is his hits and occasional fight. Besides. What's the point of dressing the guy if he's only going to get 5-8 min a game and is being instructed to only throw one body check per period? just plain stupid if you ask me.

Keep the style, just work out the timing issues that may be what is sending him to the box. His hits are clean, they al aren't timed right so he's getting calls against. And I'd really like to see refs call all players equal. He definitely wasn't getting a fair shake in the early part of the season. I saw a lot of ticky tack calls go against simply because he was the "AHL call up that is known for physical play" so they call him early and often to send a message, even if most of the calls wouldn't be made if he was an NHL regular.

I totally agree

Bob Kelly should give these guys a seminar of how to hit and not get caught

Three great hits a game beats 20 so-so hits. If he picks his spots and really lays 3 hard hits a game, he's done his job. I watched Rinaldo play junior here and never thought he'd get it through his head to stop with the cheapshots. I think he's bought into playing on the edge but not over. I'm OK with him not running all over the place aimlessly. You can hit a guy several times and not have him take notice. Lay him out with a clean hard check and he'll want to know where you are on the ice every shift.

Didn't they learn anything from the Carcillo experiment? Just let the guy play his game..

The writer seems to think the Flyers want him to be less aggressive but I don't think that's the case. I think they want him to play more under control because they think he'll be more effective that way. He can't be effective running around trying to lay out everything in sight, every shift. He'll be exhausted and injured if he continues trying to do that. Less is more in this instance.

The writer seems to think the Flyers want him to be less aggressive but I don't think that's the case. I think they want him to play more under control because they think he'll be more effective that way. He can't be effective running around trying to lay out everything in sight, every shift. He'll be exhausted and injured if he continues trying to do that. Less is more in this instance.

I doubt he'll be exhausted playing 5 minutes a game..

http://www.broadstre...ac-rinaldo-hits

Didn't they learn anything from the Carcillo experiment? Just let the guy play his game..

I don't think telling a young player to just choose wiser hits and to "think" out there to keep from being suspened is a bad thing, hell you know they watch this team a whole lot harder than any other...god job Rinaldo use you grey matter!!!!!!!!!

yeah, like Occam said I don't really see the drama in this story. So the Flyers' staff want Zac to use his head, not be a Tazmanian Devil out there but to play under control and make 3 impact hits as opposed to 20 meaningless ones. Sounds like good advice to me.

And it's paying off - something is. Zac played well last night for the most part - Harry Z too for that matter. Both guys made mistakes with the puck at times but both of them (because of Lavy) got the chance to show they can contribute.

I hope we don't move any of these guys - the Flyers' future looks pretty bright imo if we can keep them - Schenn, Couturier, Read (of course) but also Zac, Harry Z, MAB, Gus.

I thought Rinaldo played a strong game last night. He seemed to be everywhere and played under control. Got to love the hit on Tootoo:

http://video.flyers....om/videocenter/

It's tough to tell on the normal speed replay, but it looked like Rinaldo got Tootoo's head with his arm/shoulder. And Tootoo certainly didn't see the hit coming (the ol "vulnerable position" debate). Anyway, I bet the NHL is going to look closer at that shot.

I thought Rinaldo played a strong game last night. He seemed to be everywhere and played under control. Got to love the hit on Tootoo:

http://video.flyers....om/videocenter/

that hit on tootoo was fabulous. wondered if he may have been too shaken up to go with Rinaldo afterwards. A tootoo fight is almost always entertaining and yet...

Edited by Spinorama