Philadelphia Flyers: Why Sergei Bobrovsky Will Be the Starting Goalie

Guest Irishjim

134154313_crop_650x440.jpg?1327647539In hockey terms, the word “Philadelphia” is synonymous with the phrase “goalie controversy.”

Not since the days of Hextall have the Flyers felt comfortable in the crease, an issue that was supposed to be solved when general manager Paul Holmgren signedPhoenix netminder Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year, $51 million deal.

Bryzgalov came in despite the regular-season success of Sergei Bobrovsky, who won 28 games in 54 starts as a rookie playing in North America for the first time.

Needless to say, Bryzgalov has not lived up to expectations, currently sporting a 2.99 GAA, a .895 SV percentage and playing one shaky game after another.

Bobrovsky, on the other hand, has won 11 games in 16 starts with a 2.42 GAA and a .919 SV percentage, making a strong case for the starting job before the playoffs start for the Flyers.

In fact, it would benefit the Flyers to put Bob in net sooner rather than later. While Bryzgalov is the long-term investment for the team, the remainder of this season is all about Bob.

134154313_crop_650x440.jpg?1327647539In hockey terms, the word “Philadelphia” is synonymous with the phrase “goalie controversy.”

Not since the days of Hextall have the Flyers felt comfortable in the crease, an issue that was supposed to be solved when general manager Paul Holmgren signedPhoenix netminder Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year, $51 million deal.

Bryzgalov came in despite the regular-season success of Sergei Bobrovsky, who won 28 games in 54 starts as a rookie playing in North America for the first time.

Needless to say, Bryzgalov has not lived up to expectations, currently sporting a 2.99 GAA, a .895 SV percentage and playing one shaky game after another.

Bobrovsky, on the other hand, has won 11 games in 16 starts with a 2.42 GAA and a .919 SV percentage, making a strong case for the starting job before the playoffs start for the Flyers.

In fact, it would benefit the Flyers to put Bob in net sooner rather than later. While Bryzgalov is the long-term investment for the team, the remainder of this season is all about Bob.

not pickin on you jim, but when will all of you guys stop posting this bleacher report bullsh!t? it's totally fan made up crap. there is NOTHING of substance in that 'report'. it's just one idiot fans 'reasoning', which makes about as much reason as a gasoline powered turtle necks.

it's just one idiot fans 'reasoning', which makes about as much reason as a gasoline powered turtle necks

That's a great analogy and it made me laugh. But then I thought, uh oh, that pretty much describes me and all of us. It's what we all do when we share our opinions in each post we make.

That's a great analogy and it made me laugh. But then I thought, uh oh, that pretty much describes me and all of us. It's what we all do when we share our opinions in each post we make.

yeah... but here we know they are opinions... and at least they're interesting. bleacher report is just some idiot making baseless reasons that don't make any sense at all. at least people here make sense... most of the time.

not pickin on you jim, but when will all of you guys stop posting this bleacher report bullsh!t? it's totally fan made up crap. there is NOTHING of substance in that 'report'. it's just one idiot fans 'reasoning', which makes about as much reason as a gasoline powered turtle necks.

THANK YOU. Do people understand that BR is NOT a news source? It's no different than this forum, except that the people who write that stuff are less knowledgeable than the posters we have here. I have no idea why anyone would waste their time with that site.

Bak you are correct its just a fan like us giving his opinion, i post these cause they tend to get a discussion going. i never take them as a highly touted news source. but given my choice i would rather discuss something written on bleacher report then say discuss some nonsensical trade rumor from Ecklund. its all good though