Flyers: State of the organization...

Digityman

This will be brief but feel free to add to it. 

Flyers:  11-12-5 - 27 Points - 6th in the division, 11th in the conference, 24th in the league.  

• 10 game losing streak
  • Fires coach (and assistant)
  • Medical staff still sucks at assessing injuries (and rehabbing them)
  • Hart the brightest start, single-handedly getting them points with a .918, 2.74gaa  (26th SV%)
  • The power play (16.3%) is 26th in the league (-18 goal differential overall)
  • Penalty kill is 12th in the league (81.3%)
  • The only thing this team does well is FOW% - 54% - 5th in the league.
  • It's mid-December and they have a 7.1% chance of making the playoffs.
  • Since Fletch was hired (12/2008) the Flyers are a few games above .500. 

Phantoms:  5-11-4 15pts  8th in the division (last), 15th in the conference (last), 31st in the league (last by 5pts)

• New coach
  • Are 2-8 last 10 games, currently on a 8 game losing streak (like their big brothers)
  • Sandstrom is 36th with a 3.08gaa, 33rd with a .896 sv%.   
  • Players with the most points (in order):  (Frost) Gerry Mayhew, Garrett Wilson, Max Willman, Adam Clendening, Egor Zamula....I could go on.   
  • Hockey Writers still has the Flyers farm ranked as 5th in the league.  Thankfully a lot of the Metro is on the other end of the rankings.

I've never cheered for Ottawa before but tomorrow I'll be wearing my red, gold and black.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

• radoran changed the title to Flyers: State of the organization...

After watching an episode of Top Shelf Hockey on Youtube, I  say 2022 will be a crossroads.  Will our recent trades pan out (emphasis on Ellis)?  Will Giroux stay or go (I think he goes)?  Does Yeo stay?  Does Fletcher stay (Those two may be linked)?  Do we get rid of some of the roster to get picks (Shoot, the Eagles have three first rounders)?  

It is not an exaggeration to say this year will be consequential.

BTW.  Nolan Patrick has only played four games for the Knights and may only start to play again:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/golden-knights-nolan-patrick-practices-in-regular-jersey/

Unloading him may not have been such a bad idea.  

Edited by Howie58

On 12/27/2021 at 10:55 AM, Howie58 said:

Yes he needed a change of scenery at the very least. The Flyers will have to chalk it up as another 2nd who fell short of expectations. Not their fault he was the consensus #2 but..chalk it up as a Fail.

And I still hate that trade. Not losing Patrick but giving up on Myers. Just another example of Flyers' GMs shortsighted stupidity. Of course it's a risk but by now it should be obvious: the Flyers' way hasn't worked. Year after year trying to Win Now. But hey one more try boys I'm sure it'll be different this time.

And to make matters even more stupid, Fletcher brings in a guy who can't stay healthy. Ellis has played a full season just twice in 10 years. And now he's on the Covid list. Ha you can't make this stuff up.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2021 at 10:55 AM, Howie58 said:

BTW.  Nolan Patrick has only played four games for the Knights and may only start to play again:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/golden-knights-nolan-patrick-practices-in-regular-jersey/

You know who else has only played 4 games? The guy we traded him and Myers for. The guy who has 6 years at $6 + million per left on his contract. 

27 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You know who else has only played 4 games? The guy we traded him and Myers for. The guy who has 6 years at $6 + million per left on his contract. 

Dear FC:

Yeah, I think this may be an ongoing dilemma solved by LTIC or retirement. 

The deeper problem: Why we had to make the trade in the first place. Five years ago, we were supposed to have one of the best D and G prospect pools. So far, I'd say we have limited payoff via Hart and Sanheim. We had to being in Jones for backup. 

With 20/20 hindsight, offing Hextall made sense. Our payoff with patience wasn't too great. 

I am hoping Risto goes, but CF may not want to absorb the sunk trade costs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most hopeless and helpless I've felt about the team in my lifetime.

Even when they really sucked for short periods of time in the past, at least they looked like they were competing.

(The Farwell years and post 1st lock out).

There were also glimmers of hope, Lindros on the come , the Calder cup winning AHL team.

But lately there's nothing.

Injuries have played a part for sure. It seems every decent prospect and moves to acquire players designed to improve the team have lost entire seasons over the last two years. 

But Malkin hasn't skated for PGH and both Crosby and Letang have missed significant time- yet that team is on a 10-game win streak and they fight you for every inch of ice. That team is supposedly on the way down...I don't see it.

Things feel bleak.

The product on the ice has been dreadful.

The prospects for improvement aren't apparent.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2
  • Sad 1

I don't get why people are acting surprised. Schmuck Felcher and Nature Boy Brent Flahr were going to make this club worse. The Assmus Stinktolainen deal was a bad move. Vigneault was clearly a one trick pony and was exposed for the overrated hack that he was. Several of our young players have taken big steps backwards because of the piss poor coaching they've received. The entire team is a mess and if Giroux is moved at the deadline, are any of you comfortable with Felcher pulling the trigger on a Giroux trade? The Flyers are where they are because of continual bad move, after bad move, after bad move. Whether it's hiring GMs, coaches, signing or trading or drafting players, their style of play, player and personnel development, everything is bad about this club. News flash - it won't get better either unless Dave Scott cleans house, and that means saying goodbye to some of the alumni like that drunkard Holmgren and my hero, Bobby Clarke. It's time to get fresh blood in there and completely overhaul the organization.

If they move Giroux, then that should trigger a full on rebuild. No more half measures. Keep Couturier, Konecny, Frost, Lindblom, Provorov, Sanheim and Hart. Build your team around those guys. Say goodbye to everyone else. Build properly through the draft. Sign free agents that can compliment your core players, not sign free agents to make up your core. And FFS, hire coaches that know a thing or two about player development. The fact that players arrive in Philadelphia and look completely out of sorts is inexcusable. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, Poconono said:

An alumni club masquerading as a scouting department means horrible talent assessment and development.

Now, in fairness to the scouting staff, this was the same group that advocated drafting David Pastrnak over Travis Sanheim, which Hextall ignored. This is also the same staff that wanted Hextall to draft either Cale Makar or Miro Heiskanen over Nolan Patrick, which Hextall also ignored. As for Schmuck Felcher and Nature Boy, I fully expect once they're going, we're going to hear about how the scouts wanted other players besides Tyson Foerster, Cam York and didn't want to do the Ristolainen deal, so I'm not going to place all the blame on the scouts. They've been good at eyeing talent for years. It's been poor GMs who won't listen or trust them that's also contributed to the downfall of this club.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't get why people are acting surprised. Schmuck Felcher and Nature Boy Brent Flahr were going to make this club worse. The Assmus Stinktolainen deal was a bad move. Vigneault was clearly a one trick pony and was exposed for the overrated hack that he was. Several of our young players have taken big steps backwards because of the piss poor coaching they've received. The entire team is a mess and if Giroux is moved at the deadline, are any of you comfortable with Felcher pulling the trigger on a Giroux trade? The Flyers are where they are because of continual bad move, after bad move, after bad move. Whether it's hiring GMs, coaches, signing or trading or drafting players, their style of play, player and personnel development, everything is bad about this club. News flash - it won't get better either unless Dave Scott cleans house, and that means saying goodbye to some of the alumni like that drunkard Holmgren and my hero, Bobby Clarke. It's time to get fresh blood in there and completely overhaul the organization.

If they move Giroux, then that should trigger a full on rebuild. No more half measures. Keep Couturier, Konecny, Frost, Lindblom, Provorov, Sanheim and Hart. Build your team around those guys. Say goodbye to everyone else. Build properly through the draft. Sign free agents that can compliment your core players, not sign free agents to make up your core. And FFS, hire coaches that know a thing or two about player development. The fact that players arrive in Philadelphia and look completely out of sorts is inexcusable. 

You had me cheering you on there for almost 2 paragraphs until you suggested keeping half the current team despite a teardown.  In my book they can all go, Couts and Hart included as long as the return is worthwhile.  The problem is that even if they got the number one pick in the draft these morons would forego Wright or Bedard next year and pick some Ukranian plugger instead.

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Now, in fairness to the scouting staff, this was the same group that advocated drafting David Pastrnak over Travis Sanheim, which Hextall ignored. This is also the same staff that wanted Hextall to draft either Cale Makar or Miro Heiskanen over Nolan Patrick, which Hextall also ignored. As for Schmuck Felcher and Nature Boy, I fully expect once they're going, we're going to hear about how the scouts wanted other players besides Tyson Foerster, Cam York and didn't want to do the Ristolainen deal, so I'm not going to place all the blame on the scouts. They've been good at eyeing talent for years. It's been poor GMs who won't listen or trust them that's also contributed to the downfall of this club.

Ahhh...you're too nice.  Even if those after-the-fact stories are true, these same scouts haven't exactly wowed me with any of their later picks.  A few NHL third and fourth liners here and there but I'm not seeing any Jake Guentzels, Henrik Zetterbergs, Fleurys or Datsyuks among the Ratcliffs, Sushkos, Hogbergs or Wylies.  Hell, we even picked the shittiest Strome brother.  I'm not impressed with Dave Brown, Al Hill, Ross Fitzpatrick, Mark Grieg, Kjell Samuelsson, Nick Schultz or Wade Clarke evaluating NHL talent.

17 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't get why people are acting surprised. Schmuck Felcher and Nature Boy Brent Flahr were going to make this club worse. The Assmus Stinktolainen deal was a bad move. Vigneault was clearly a one trick pony and was exposed for the overrated hack that he was.

I don't think surprised is the right word to use.

I had hope after the off-season. 

Ellis is 30 he had a concussion and a broken knuckle on his hand that had limited his availability over the past couple of seasons.  Injuries that weren't deemed chronic by any stretch, and it was not a hail-mary gamble that he would be available for more than 4 games. That move in particular really didn't work out. On its face it wasn't some cockamamie gamble like Trading a 1st round pick for Steve Eminger.

I wonder if he had not had the lower body injury what the defense would be playing like now. Would they be better and lifting the whole team? Would having some stability and quality from the top pair lifted the 70 and 6 pairing to be better because they're playing with confidence instead of waiting for something else to go wrong. Which seems to be the default disposition of all these players. 

Vigneault's one trick one him a lot of games. He benefited from great goaltending at these stops but his winning % is very good and He's been to a few finals.

He's not Dave Hakstol.

I think when you're talking about bad move after bad move you are definitely on to something.

It is almost comical how nothing has seemed to work out for this organization since 2010.

Chuck's draft picks and players are doing alright in Minnesota. I know Bill Guerin has been instrumental in taking that team to it's current level, but he had some players at all levels to add to. 

Things are bad here and the outlook is bleak.

The moves that can help the team in the short and medium term are going to be made by Chuck Fletcher. Let's hope he pulls a Kiril Kaspirov move and not a Brent Burns

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I think Farabee and I agree on how the Flyers are right now...

I feel his pain. I sure hope this second wave of kids can help. 

The Allisons, Laczynskis the Cates and the O'Briens the Attards and Brinks and Foeresters and if not well this club is big time screwed.

So there is still some reinforcements coming....i'm just concerned how they get coached once they get here.

But one thing is for sure time to clear out space for these kids to find a spot.

I would rather see this team suck for a year or two if you can get the kids in the lineup over them sucking ass with all these damn vets who are not very good.

Clean house...

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Hell, we even picked the shittiest Strome brother. 

Sorry but that made me spit my coffee out and almost got on my key board well done.

So true.

We need more Pascal Laberges.....in the lineup!!!!!!

:BrownBag:

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

51 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Ahhh...you're too nice.  Even if those after-the-fact stories are true, these same scouts haven't exactly wowed me with any of their later picks.  A few NHL third and fourth liners here and there but I'm not seeing any Jake Guentzels, Henrik Zetterbergs, Fleurys or Datsyuks among the Ratcliffs, Sushkos, Hogbergs or Wylies.  Hell, we even picked the shittiest Strome brother.  I'm not impressed with Dave Brown, Al Hill, Ross Fitzpatrick, Mark Grieg, Kjell Samuelsson, Nick Schultz or Wade Clarke evaluating NHL talent.

See, I don't have a problem with Hogberg or Wylie. I think these two are perfect bottom pairing defenders and in the case of Hogberg, he might just end up being a new age shut down defender in that he can skate, he can handle the puck and he always makes the safe play. In the last minute of a game, I'm good with that. Same with Wylie. I think right now, coaching is a major issue across all the Flyers teams.

As for the pro scouts, they suck ass. No denying that. It's the amateur scouting staff that I'm more on par with. They can rid themselves of all the pro scouts. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

See, I don't have a problem with Hogberg or Wylie. I think these two are perfect bottom pairing defenders and in the case of Hogberg, he might just end up being a new age shut down defender in that he can skate, he can handle the puck and he always makes the safe play. In the last minute of a game, I'm good with that. Same with Wylie. I think right now, coaching is a major issue across all the Flyers teams.

As for the pro scouts, they suck ass. No denying that. It's the amateur scouting staff that I'm more on par with. They can rid themselves of all the pro scouts. 

Coaching is a major issue, as is scouting. See..we as Flyer fans made the mistake of truly believing that those running this franchise were/are trying to win, versus just keepimg ex-Flyers undeservedly and gainfully employed. They have no vision, nor any sense of urgency to improve the state of the franchise.

1 hour ago, Poconono said:

Hell, we even picked the shittiest Strome brother. 

Well in fairness, one went 3rd overall, one went 5th overall, and we took the "shittiest' one in the 5th round. He's got skill, he just can't skate worth a crap. It was worth the 5th rounder in case they can ever correct that. 

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry but that made me spit my coffee out and almost got on my key board well done.

So true.

We need more Pascal Laberges.....in the lineup!!!!!!

:BrownBag:

Actually I hear Laberge is doing very well for the new team he signed with.