Flyers: State of the organization...

Digityman

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

State of the union address is Wednesday morning at 11. Let's see if there's going to be any tough questions or do they lob Schmuck and company fluff questions. 

My vote for the new Flyers coach....

...with him they can win the Stanley Cup and everything like that!!!!!!!!

:VeryCool:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

State of the union address is Wednesday morning at 11. Let's see if there's going to be any tough questions or do they lob Schmuck and company fluff questions. 

This is the 2006/07 season all over again. Figure out the core players and get rid of the rest, starting with Giroux.

6 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

This is the 2006/07 season all over again. Figure out the core players and get rid of the rest, starting with Giroux.

Sure start with Giroux...but Hayes needs to go way before Giroux does. And you'd have to add to whatever you get for Giroux just to get rid of Hayes...that's how valuable he is.

At least if another of Fletchies great acquisitions, Nate Thompson, was playing, Hayes wouldn't be the slowest skater in North American hockey.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Sure start with Giroux...but Hayes needs to go way before Giroux does. And you'd have to add to whatever you get for Giroux just to get rid of Hayes...that's how valuable he is.

At least if another of Fletchies great acquisitions, Nate Thompson, was playing, Hayes wouldn't be the slowest skater in North American hockey.

No, Hayes shouldn't go first. If Giroux gets injured and you can't get the same haul for him later on, then what? Hayes won't get you as high a level of return, and those pieces will be important moving forward. It is so important that they deal Giroux, as quickly as possible. If they wait, it will just set the franchise further back into the hell they're already deep into.

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Settle down everything is going to be ok now....

We have added John Torchetti to the club's coaching staff as an assistant for the remainder of the 2021-22 season. He'll join Mike Yeo, who will remain interim head coach for the remainder of season, along with assistants Nick Schultz & Darryl Williams.

...nothing like signing a guy who was a part of the 2010 Black Hawks and that black cloud from the scandal.

I hope he had nothing to do with the player who was assaulted and the cover up.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Settle down everything is going to be ok now....

We have added John Torchetti to the club's coaching staff as an assistant for the remainder of the 2021-22 season. He'll join Mike Yeo, who will remain interim head coach for the remainder of season, along with assistants Nick Schultz & Darryl Williams.

...nothing like signing a guy who was a part of the 2010 Black Hawks and that black cloud from the scandal.

I hope he had nothing to do with the player who was assaulted and the cover up.

Surprisingly enough, he's also been in the Wild system for fairly long stints...

6 hours ago, elmatus said:

Surprisingly enough, he's also been in the Wild system for fairly long stints...

Ya don't say....:thumbsu:

Y'know, it's almost like Fletcher looked back on the mediocre teams he built in Minnesota, along with the terrible contracts to washed up players, and thought "This is what I want to build in Philly".

And gosh darn it if he hasn't done just that!

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

For those keeping score at home ....the Flyers now sit 1 point out of picking 5th overall in the draft. Depending how things shake out, this team now has a legit shot a picking #3 overall.  

image.png.6220c003c2753f2af92de94cb3a55efb.png

So who's the highest rated player from Minnesota ?

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya don't say....:thumbsu:

Y'know, it's almost like Fletcher looked back on the mediocre teams he built in Minnesota, along with the terrible contracts to washed up players, and thought "This is what I want to build in Philly".

And gosh darn it if he hasn't done just that!

The new motto:

Familiarity Breeds Contempt

:ph34r:

Scott emphasized that he doesn’t think it will be a “three-five-year rebuild.” All he said it will take is “two or three” players to complement the strong core group he believes the Flyers have when they’re healthy. He and Fletcher both pointed to the bad luck the team has had with injuries.

[Translation: I (Dave Scott) am still deeply, deeply in denial, going so far as to say that, just like last year, and despite a 13 game losing streak, a last place record as well as a worse performance than last season, we’re still three players away from being a contender.].

Queue the “rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic” analogies/laugh track.

Likewise, Scott said he likes what he’s seen from Fletcher and showed no indication he has plans to rework the front office in the near future.

“Right now, Chuck’s my guy and we’re trying to build around that,” Scott said.

Let that sink in for a moment: 

Chuck’s….my…..guy…. 

He doesn’t even know to be embarrassed.

[Translation: Look, maybe I scared you with some of my earlier, laughable assertions.  But please allow me to reassure you by saying that I’m completely delusional, have no intention of admitting any mistakes, and need to allow Fletcher another season or three to completely gut this team before I wake up and acknowledge the stench.]

Follow on question for Dave Scott: Which of Fletcher’s moves do you actually like?  Other than a couple of draft picks, I can’t think of even one that has worked out well for the team, so let’s start with something, anything to back up your affirmation that he’s your “guy” and to validate your soundness of mind.

Skinny: It is difficult to imagine a more frightening and depressing outcome to this press conference. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, terp said:

Scott emphasized that he doesn’t think it will be a “three-five-year rebuild.” All he said it will take is “two or three” players to complement the strong core group he believes the Flyers have when they’re healthy.

Scott's been leading the "definitely a playoff team" bandwagon since he got here. You'd think the experience of having been wrong so often might have taken a toll...

That said, so they're 2-3 players away from competiveness with a core that they considered an already competitive roster at the start of the season that was revamped from "one of the best rosters in the NHL" last season.

Good to know?

In other news, this is a clear sign to anyone trading for Giroux that they should expect he will re-sign with the Flyers next season...

24 minutes ago, terp said:

“Right now, Chuck’s my guy and we’re trying to build around that,” Scott said.

Let that sink in for a moment: 

I got another thing to sink in...

Right now

That's not the vote of confidence he might have thought it was...

I think you have a different definition of competitive from scott and Fletcher.

Their definition is battling to be near a wild card spot, that would be competitive. 

I would call it not good enough, or not competitive. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

FJ_3-_uWUAoCZHs.jpg.c0ce6994885b5b44a47fe275088978d8.jpg

Great …. Who are the Avs giving up?

Byram or Newhook?

I would prefer Newhook….

After being selected 16th overall in the 2019 draft, Newhook has continued to develop towards a superstar NHL career. His freshman season of NCAA was outstanding with 42 points in 34 games. He followed that up last year by debuting in the WJC with Canada and scoring three goals and six points in six games. In a short freshman season back at Boston College as a sophomore he again produced above a point per game with 16 points through 12 games.

At the conclusion of the school season, he signed his pro contract and went to the AHL where he continued to dominate offensively with nine points in eight games. The Avalanche recalled him to the NHL for the final six regular-season games and he produced three points. Perhaps most impressive was his NHL playoffs where he played in eight games, scoring his first NHL goal.

The best is yet to come with this dynamic offensive forward. He may be forced to play more on the wing early in his career, but look for Newhook to not only make the roster but be a serious contender for the Calder Trophy as the league’s top rookie along with teammate Bowen Byram.