Flyers: State of the organization...

Digityman

23 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd kill to have Gostisbehere back. Defensive deficiencies aside, he was the only one with the balls big enough to call out the team for the incompetence that was on display last year and Vigneault didn't lie the idea of a player standing up to him. Fletcher took the coach's side and now said coach is gone and Ghost,'s replacement is a useless piece of garbage that cost a 1st and a 2nd, plus the cost of moving Ghost. 

Ghost is the leading scorer in AZ and is only a  -10 for the season on the worst team in the league . Sanheim and Meyers were a -10 in two games against the Rangers last year. 

The idea that Clarke would listen to his scouts (if it's even true they said to take Makar) and draft an undersized college defenseman instead of the big Western Canadian center from a classic WHL team, is completely laughable.

Clarke would have traded the #2 overall for one year of Jerome Iginla.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

The idea that Clarke would listen to his scouts (if it's even true they said to take Makar) and draft an undersized college defenseman instead of the big Western Canadian center from a classic WHL team, is completely laughable.

Clarke would have traded the #2 overall for one year of Jerome Iginla.

This. 1000 times this.

• Like 1

I bet NAK is glad he is away from this circus.

21 games 5 gls 7 ats 12 pts +9 1 GWG.

Must be nice to get to play on the 3rd line and a team with skill who cab actually hit the damn net.

Good for him.

Because the crap they have now on the 4th is just a waste of space now.

Sad.

:BrownBag:

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I bet NAK is glad he is away from this circus.

21 games 5 goals 7 assists 12 points +9 one GWG assists.

Must be nice to get to play on the 3rd line and a team with skill who cab actually hit the damn net.

He's a Hextall pick. The scouts never wanted him. They wanted Brayden Point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

All I know on it for sure....

...someone is lying....

...that is all carry on...

:BrownBag:

Well, Clarke is absolutely lying on the "I wanted Makar" part.     I'm willing to believe there's some truth in the "the scouts wanted Makar, Hextall went on his own" part.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the truth is somewhere around this concept:

Hextall came in and answered to Ed Snider and was given a mandate by Ed Snider to build the farm and do things differently than previous regimes.   He likely had direct access to the Chairman and followed the marching orders.    I don't believe this made Clarkgren happy as there was a channel to Eddie that wasn't through them and their lemmings.

Ed died.

The boys were now in charge and Hextall had never become one of them.  He wasn't buying the used **** they wanted bought, etc., and the moment there was trouble, they threw him out and brought in their stoolie.  And I don't care what organization it is, if a stapler is missing or you can't find a file, the "former guy" is blamed.   The guy that was liked by some and disliked by others quickly becomes "that a-hole," especially in a toxic culture and especially among the people (in this case Clarkgren) who cause that toxic culture.

None of this is to acquit Hextall.  He had his fair share of problems and misfires.  

It's more an indictment of Clarkgren followed by the simple statement:   "He should STFU, swallow a crapton of sugar and then take a nap."

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well, Clarke is absolutely lying on the "I wanted Makar" part.     I'm willing to believe there's some truth in the "the scouts wanted Makar, Hextall went on his own" part.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the truth is somewhere around this concept:

Hextall came in and answered to Ed Snider and was given a mandate by Ed Snider to build the farm and do things differently than previous regimes.   He likely had direct access to the Chairman and followed the marching orders.    I don't believe this made Clarkgren happy as there was a channel to Eddie that wasn't through them and their lemmings.

Ed died.

The boys were now in charge and Hextall had never become one of them.  He wasn't buying the used **** they wanted bought, etc., and the moment there was trouble, they threw him out and brought in their stoolie.  And I don't care what organization it is, if a stapler is missing or you can't find a file, the "former guy" is blamed.   The guy that was liked by some and disliked by others quickly becomes "that a-hole," especially in a toxic culture and especially among the people (in this case Clarkgren) who cause that toxic culture.

None of this is to acquit Hextall.  He had his fair share of problems and misfires.  

It's more an indictment of Clarkgren followed by the simple statement:   "He should STFU, swallow a crapton of sugar and then take a nap.

Well I hope this gets back to Ron and I hope pray there he responds I want some more drama to distract me from the putrid crap they trot out on game night masquerading as a hockey team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well I hope this gets back to Ron and I hope pray there he responds I want some more drama to distract me from the putrid crap they trot out on game night masquerading as a hockey team.

It would be a bad move on Hextall's part, but for sheer entertainment value I'm with you in hoping he does.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It would be a bad move on Hextall's part, but for sheer entertainment value I'm with you in hoping he does.

And I hope he decides to challenge him to a fight in the parking lot in front of the stadium for charity!!!!

Wouldn't that be something!!!!

Well, maybe I should have posted my rant on this feud between Hextall and Clarke but let's look at Clarke's draft record as Flyers GM, shall we? 

1st round picks 

1986 - Kerry Huffman

1988 - Claude Boivin

1990 - Mike Ricci

1996- Dianius Zubrus

1998- Simon Gagne (he got that one right).

2000-Justin Williams (he also got this one right, then traded him and he won 3 Cups)

2001 - Jeff Wowitka

2002 - traded their first rounder for Adam Oates

2003 - Mr. High and Wide, Jeff Carter (OK, but not great)

2006- Claude Giroux

A few hits, but 75% misses.

Again, Bob Clarke the exec...has a lot of nerve.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Well, maybe I should have posted my rant on this feud between Hextall and Clarke but let's look at Clarke's draft record as Flyers GM, shall we? 

1st round picks 

1986 - Kerry Huffman

1988 - Claude Boivin

1990 - Mike Ricci

1996- Dianius Zubrus

2000-Justin Williams (he also got this one right, then traded him and he won 3 Cups)

2001 - Jeff Wowitka

2006- Claude Giroux

A few hits, but 75% misses.

Again, Bob Clarke the exec...has a lot of nerve.

Lol ok ..about 60 percent misses not counting FLAs misses, with a longer GM resume than Hextall. I was never good at math.

Edited by FD19372
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

1986 - Kerry Huffman

1988 - Claude Boivin

1990 - Mike Ricci

1996- Dianius Zubrus

2001 - Jeff Wowitka

2006- Claude Giroux

But but but it wasn't his picks he was listening to his scouts like Ron should have done....

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I will never understand the hate this guy got. He was a solid 2 way player who averaged 30 goals a season for the Flyers. He scored more goals in one season than any other Flyer over the last 15 years. He was taken 11th overall, not 1st. You'd probably have to go all the way to 2nd overall (Eric Staal) to get a better player taken before him. 

Same

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I will never understand the hate this guy got. He was a solid 2 way player who averaged 30 goals a season for the Flyers. He scored more goals in one season than any other Flyer over the last 15 years. He was taken 11th overall, not 1st. You'd probably have to go all the way to 2nd overall (Eric Staal) to get a better player taken before him. 

Now if you want to knock him for his frosted tips, have at 'er!

I always like Crater always have.

I hated the traded.

The only thing that ever really pissed me off about Frosted tips is when he would come in screaming down the side boards lugging the puck and with his nasty wrister instead of getting a nice shot off he would always wrap around behind the net and get to the other side and then let one rip from the worst low percentage angle he could find. It drove me motherfcuking crazy!!!!

I would always be standing in the front of the TV screaming SHOOOOOOT!

And he would....he knew it drove me mad it is why he did it!

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For all the talk about not drafting Makar, I doubt it would even matter.  Long-term - maybe. But with the Flyers being so far off this season, one or even two players would hardly make a difference.  You need to change the mindset and culture of this organization.  That's a priority. That's where you start and everything else will follow. 

• Like 3

What I find interesting is I haven't seen one person come to Hextall's defense yet. Usually when you get a story like this there will always be one person that comes forward and says wait a second it didn't go down like that. But nothing from no one. Unless I'm missing something. But I haven't seen anything on twitter or anything. The only thing I have seen is from former players and employee's saying ya that was common knowledge at the time. What I don't get is why people are so surprised that Clarke would say something. He was asked a question and he answered it. Not like he has ever held back in the past. At least it's some entertainment for the day. Other than this putrid team right now. All we can hope for is a sell off at the deadline and a terrible season next year for a run at Bedard. This team still has some good young pieces to build around.  

16 hours ago, albertaflyer said:

What I find interesting is I haven't seen one person come to Hextall's defense yet. Usually when you get a story like this there will always be one person that comes forward and says wait a second it didn't go down like that. But nothing from no one. Unless I'm missing something. But I haven't seen anything on twitter or anything. The only thing I have seen is from former players and employee's saying ya that was common knowledge at the time. What I don't get is why people are so surprised that Clarke would say something. He was asked a question and he answered it. Not like he has ever held back in the past. At least it's some entertainment for the day. Other than this putrid team right now. All we can hope for is a sell off at the deadline and a terrible season next year for a run at Bedard. This team still has some good young pieces to build around.  

What I find interesting is we never heard a thing about this until Makar scores two beautiful goals in one week. Not a peep. 

I recall one of their scouts saying they had interest in Heiskanen. But Hischier/Patrick were pretty much consensus 1/2 pick in either order.

My guess is one of the key architects in the mismanagement of this franchise is trying to deflect blame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

What I find interesting is we never heard a thing about this until Makar scores two beautiful goals in one week. Not a peep. 

I recall one of their scouts saying they had interest in Heiskanen. But Hischier/Patrick were pretty much consensus 1/2 pick in either order.

My guess is one of the key architects in the mismanagement of this franchise is trying to deflect blame.

Really? I've heard the Makar story several times over that last three years. Every time someone would tweet it out people would freak out on them. Definitely wasn't shocked when I listened to that pod cast Clarke was on.  Was a good listen. Clarke had some interesting stories.

16 hours ago, albertaflyer said:

Bang on AF. Perhaps he was trying to get people to stop talking about his putrid hockey team. Whatever his motives, it was the most exciting thing to happen to the Flyers so far this season. BITFU.