Flyers vs Jets - 1-31-2012

Guest Digityman

A little late posting.

From Meltzer.

Jaromir Jagr will play tonight, rejoining Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell on the first line. Harry Zolnierczyk will be a healthy scratch, meaning that Tom Sestito will be in the lineup.

PREVIEW 6:15 AM EST

In their first game after the NHL All-Star break, the Flyers (29-14-5) will take on the Winnipeg Jets (22-22-6) tonight at the Wells Fargo Center. The game starts at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast locally on CSN Philadelphia.

This is the third of four meetings between the teams this season, and the final one in Philadelphia. The Flyers have come out on the wrong end of two extremely high-scoring games, dropping a seesaw 9-8 game at home on Oct. 27 and then falling short in a third-period run to go down 6-4 in Winnipeg on Nov. 19. Overall, the Jets (formerly the Atlanta Thrashers) have beaten the Flyers five straight times in Philadelphia.

Tonight's game does not figure to be an artistic masterpiece. When there is a long break in the schedule, it often takes teams a period or two in their return game to recover their game legs and timing. Special teams can also be an adventure. But that matters little to the team that skates off with two points.

The Flyers went 6-3-1 in their last 10 games leading into the break. They won by shooout in Florida in their most recent game. Winnipeg stumbled to a 3-6-1 mark over its last 10 games and were shut out by the Rangers, 3-0, in the final game before the break.

The official (not statistical) start of the second half of the season is a good time for players to regroup and get ready for the grueling stretch drive that lies ahead. For someone such as Flyers' goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, a fresh start can be a godsend. Sergei Bobrovsky started both previous games against the Jets this season, and fared poorly in both. Bryz struggled even worse in relief duty for Bob in the first meeting of the season. Tonight's game is an opportunity to replace that bitter memory with a more positive one.

Both teams are racked by key injuries that carried over from before the All-Star break. For the Flyers, James van Riemsdyk (concussion) Danny Briere (concussion) and Jaromir Jagr (groin pull) all participated in practice yesterday. However, the club has also recalled Tom Sestito, Ben Holmstrom plus expected returnee Harry Zolnierczyk from the Phantoms.

There is a chance Jagr could play tonight. That will be determined after the morning skate today. Briere and van Riemsdyk officially remain out indefinitely. Zac Rinaldo (strained neck) practiced fully yesterday and is available to play tonight.

The Jets, meanwhile, are missing two key members of the lineup. Neither defenseman Dustin Byfuglien (knee) nor forward Evander Kane (concussion) will play tonight. So far in the season series, Blake Wheeler leads the team with five points (all assists), while Andrew Ladd, Nik Antropov and Bryan Little have two goals apiece.

Projected lineups (subject to change)

FLYERS

Hartnell - Giroux - Schenn

Read - Couturier - Simmonds

Zolnierczyk - Talbot - Voracek

Rinaldo - Holmstrom - Sestito

Timonen - Coburn

Carle - Bourdon

Gustafsson - Meszaros

Bryzgalov

[bobrovsky]

JETS

Ladd - Little - Wheeler

Wellwood - Antropov - Fehr

Glass - Slater - Thorburn

Miettinen - Gagnon - Machacek

Enstrom - Hainsey

Oduya - Bogosian

Stuart - Jones

Pavelec/Mason

Looks like after owning the Tnrashers throughout the Nitty era the tables have turned. I think the franchise has won 9 of the last 10 or something like that. That's hard to do against a team that bad that long.

Looks like ol' Five Hole can't buy a win even when the rare occasion comes up that he doesn't blow the game. Wonder if his teammates are as sick of him as the fanbase is.

Looks like after owning the Tnrashers throughout the Nitty era the tables have turned. I think the franchise has won 9 of the last 10 or something like that. That's hard to do against a team that bad that long.

Looks like ol' Five Hole can't buy a win even when the rare occasion comes up that he doesn't blow the game. Wonder if his teammates are as sick of him as the fanbase is.

who are you referring to Breezy? He actually played well last night..

He wasn't that bad last night, which is the highest compliment I've ever paid him. He got wildly out of position at times, but his teammates did a good job of getting in the way on these occasions. On the other hand, he got out played in the game and especially in the shoot out by a back up goaltender who makes $1MM per season. It keeps happening...

who are you referring to Breezy? He actually played well last night..

Which is why I said he can't win even we he doesn't blow the game. It wasn't his fault the team didn't score more than once...but has the team stopped playing in front of him cause they;re sick of his horrid play?

He wasn't that bad last night, which is the highest compliment I've ever paid him. He got wildly out of position at times, but his teammates did a good job of getting in the way on these occasions. On the other hand, he got out played in the game and especially in the shoot out by a back up goaltender who makes $1MM per season. It keeps happening...

I don't need to add anything to your comment. Bingo!

Which is why I said he can't win even we he doesn't blow the game. It wasn't his fault the team didn't score more than once...but has the team stopped playing in front of him cause they;re sick of his horrid play?

I thought overall the Flyers played well, even the 4th line..shootouts suck, I don't consider that game a loss..