Connolly's hit on Kero....brutal

Brewin Flames

I am starting to think the game has passed me by.

Kero was skating and hunched, looking backwards not paying attention to his surroundings.

Connolly came forward, never left his feet, led with his shoulder and simply destroyed Kero.

I am not going to lie this is what I saw

Connolly could have pulled up, could have turned and avoided Kero. Could have, but didnt.  

Kero could have done a much better job of paying attention.

IMHO Connolly could have pulled up but didnt need to. Nothing in what he did was dirty just a few years ago.

Guys like Scotty Niedermayer and Kronwall could not play in the current no hit league. I miss the days when you could touch a player without having to attend mandatory classes on etiquette. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I am starting to think the game has passed me by.

Kero was skating and hunched, looking backwards not paying attention to his surroundings.

Connolly came forward, never left his feet, led with his shoulder and simply destroyed Kero.

I am not going to lie this is what I saw

Connolly could have pulled up, could have turned and avoided Kero. Could have, but didnt.  

Kero could have done a much better job of paying attention.

IMHO Connolly could have pulled up but didnt need to. Nothing in what he did was dirty just a few years ago.

Guys like Scotty Niedermayer and Kronwall could not play in the current no hit league. I miss the days when you could touch a player without having to attend mandatory classes on etiquette. 

That's sadly the direction it is going. But I think you meant Scott Stevens

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

That's sadly the direction it is going. But I think you meant Scott Stevens

Stevens, the niedermayers, Prongs, Kronner, Chris Neil, Rob Ray, Ross the boss Rhea,  Reggie Dunlop take your pick, none could last five minutes in this no touch league that exists now.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

A vicious and dirty hit. Connolly got off light, with only a 4 game suspension.

Yes a vicious hit maybe dirty if you never are going to hit someone who doesn’t see it coming. But is it even a penalty?

• Like 1

Two players making a bad decision in a fast game. Kero concentrating on receiving the pass, (and not being in a position to possibly get hit), and Connolly concentrating on getting a good hit in a situation where Kero will be totally vulnerable. I think 4 games is ok. Otherwise the Stars would probably go headhunting in the next game.

Blackhawks’ Connolly suspended 4 games for hit on Stars’ Kero

The NHL suspended Blackhawks forward Brett Connolly four games for his hit on Tanner Kero of the Stars.

Kero left the ice on a stretcher. The Stars announced that Tanner Kero was alert and responsive before being going to a hospital for further observation.

Watch the video above for the Department of Player Safety’s explanation for suspending Connolly four games for that hit on Kero.

The DoPs noted a few things:

• Kero was in a vulnerable position, and did not have possession of the puck, emphasizing that this was an instance of interference.
  • Connolly had opportunities to change his course or body position, but ultimately skated “through” Kero.
  • Kero’s injury factored into Connolly’s suspension.
  • That said, a lack of suspensions/fines in Connolly’s past may have helped his cause.