Jump to content

NHL decides NOT to participate in Winter Olympics ....


Recommended Posts

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32918026/sources-nhl-not-going-olympics-due-covid

 

The NHL and NHL Players' Association have come to an agreement to not participate in the 2022 Winter Olympic men's hockey tournament in Beijing, multiple sources told ESPN.

 

The NHL and NHLPA had negotiated Olympic participation in 2022 and 2026 into the newest collective bargaining agreement after NHL players did not participate in the 2018 Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The only caveat for the Beijing Olympics, scheduled for February 2022, was if the current NHL regular season was "materially impacted" by COVID-19 postponements. As of Dec. 21, the NHL has postponed 50 games because of outbreaks on teams and has paused its season through Christmas, apparently meeting that threshold.

 

A formal announcement on opting out of the Games is expected within the next 24 hours.

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good ! Next step, let's dream of a whole Olympics cancellation.

 

So there's still the possibility for the NHL to take part in the winter games in four years. I don't remember where the 2026 winter Olympics take place. Probably in Qatar or Saudi Arabia.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Where-ever the next games will be held, and the way things are going around the world, it's more than likely that the next games will also be held under a dictatorship, or at least a country only nominally democratic.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Where-ever the next games will be held, and the way things are going around the world, it's more than likely that the next games will also be held under a dictatorship, or at least a country only nominally democratic.

 

It's Italy.

 

So, you know, the originator of facsism.

 

Good times.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SaucyJack said:


Perhaps the IOC will do another Tokyo as Omicron worsens and reschedule the Games of Xi Zinping for Feb 2023?

 

I hope not.  This virus is all China's fault to begin with. Nothing about how they operate is legit. They don't deserve a second chance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Given the photoshopped line-up, we should assume Tootoo, Marleau, Versteeg, Phaneuf and Colaiacovo are the real selected players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Math said:

Given the photoshopped line-up, we should assume Tootoo, Marleau, Versteeg, Phaneuf and Colaiacovo are the real selected players.


Meh, I dunno...

I understand Patrick Stewart is quite the shut down defenseman.

I mean, the way he disrupted the Romulan power play... or Ferengi odd man rushes.
And the way he told Wesley to "shut up" as he scored on a penalty shot.

I'd say he is the real deal. :ph34r:

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:


Meh, I dunno...

I understand Patrick Stewart is quite the shut down defenseman.

I mean, the way he disrupted the Romulan power play... or Ferengi odd man rushes.
And the way he told Wesley to "shut up" as he scored on a penalty shot.

I'd say he is the real deal. :ph34r:

 

Bernie Sanders  to check cap space????

Moses  parting the the defence ......

Winsotn Churchill ...motivational speeches....

  • Never, never, never give up
  • Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
  • "We shall not fail or falter. We shall not weaken or tire. Neither the sudden shock of battle nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion will wear us down. Give us the tools and we will finish the job."

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the IOC's defense, the only other option after Oslo withdrew was Kazakhstan whose own human rights issues are only slightly better than China's.  "Slightly better" as in firing squad over the electric chair better. 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Puck_Pun said:

Perhaps the Olympics being a giant waste of money is having an effect on bids

 

It IS a problem. Countries have figured out what a money loser it is for them to host the Games.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2022 at 5:49 PM, Puck_Pun said:

Perhaps the Olympics being a giant waste of money is having an effect on bids

 

The best part about the NHL not going to the Olympics is that now I can watch hockey during what would have been the Olympic break, instead of being forced to watch the Olympics on TV.  It's perfect.  I'm boycotting the Olympics (by not watching them) because of where they're located, so having the NHL running a crap ton of games during that time slot is perfect.   :)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

The best part about the NHL not going to the Olympics is that now I can watch hockey during what would have been the Olympic break, instead of being forced to watch the Olympics on TV.  It's perfect.  I'm boycotting the Olympics (by not watching them) because of where they're located, so having the NHL running a crap ton of games during that time slot is perfect.   :)

 

 

 

I couldn't care less where it's located, I wouldn't watch the snoozefest that is the Olympics. So I'm with you on the rest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...