I see why people don't want Luke Schenn

Guest jkearse123

@jkearse123

OK, you could put a Youtube vid up that'd make Mike York look good. Well, maybe not York...how about Bryzgalov? Something that shows him before his reflexes totally seized up and his brain leaked out of his ear. Schenn is a good player. I just wouldn't trade JVR straight up for him.

@jkearse123

OK, you could put a Youtube vid up that'd make Mike York look good. Well, maybe not York...how about Bryzgalov? Something that shows him before his reflexes totally seized up and his brain leaked out of his ear. Schenn is a good player. I just wouldn't trade JVR straight up for him.

I was being sarcastic about him leveling Jon Sim... Did Mr. Sim not make the trek over here?

@jkearse123 Ask any regular watcher of the Leafs and they will tell you, they are hoping and praying he is included in some type of trade deadline deal. The deer in headlights thing is real, happens far to often in his own end. He panics and gives up the puck. While he is still young, he has been around long enough to know, patience and grace under fire is the real mark of a top notch NHL d-man. If I had a dime for every time he threw the puck into the middle, I'd be retired. I watch the Leafs enough to know, he would be eaten alive in Philly. Like fc said, you can find a U-Tube clip of anybody throwing a nice hit or making a nice play.

To be honest, when I saw this kid play for Team Canada, I was really, really impressed. I was upset the Leafs got him. Years later, the offense has not come through at the NHL level (played the pp point for Team Canada)....while he is a physical d-man, the hitting is far from consistant, but admittedly, that part may come as he learns when to hit and when not to. I realize it's a learning process for young d-men, but the lack of poise is startling for somebody with 3+ years in the NHL. Sorry, but no go for me.

@jammer2

I think Burke reached a bit on Schenn. Not a lot, but it was during his 'truculence" posturing (hows that working out for him). I still think Schenn becomes a good stay at home guy. I'd take him, but I'd rather catch a bigger fish if i'm trading something valuable.

@jammer2 - not that I really want to be in the position of defending a Leafs player but... you know how fickle fans are. Last year they were loving Schenn weren't they? Last year Flyers fans wanted Hartnell on the next boat to Singapore, now he's a fan favorite. JVR went from bust, to playoff hero, and back to bust in about one year. Schenn is young and still learning. I don't expect him ever to bring much offense, but if he turns out to be a Derian Hatcher type, wouldn't you want a guy like that for the next 10 years? I would not trade JVR for him straight up (and I don't know what else the Leafs could include that would be really useful for the Flyers), but just looking at Schenn alone and what he would bring, I wouldn't mind having him. He can play big minutes and he might make a good partner for Carle.

Having said all that, I don't see a trade happening because I don't think the Flyers and Leafs are good trade partners at this point (because the Leafs don't have much else that the Flyers should want).

@JackStraw Valid point Straw-man. No matter how obvious things can seem at the NHL level, this year (along with others) has taught me one thing, what you see, is *not* always what you get. For instance, I figured the Flyers got outright ripped off when they acquired Versteeg, this year he is among league leaders in goals. I could have sworn he was a bum. He proved me wrong. This could indeed happen with Luke, stranger things have happened. Yet, he projects (at this point) as a stay at home d-man with limited offense.....but yet, the weakest part of his game is in his own end and involves simple solutions that he over-complicates by brain farts. After 281 NHL games, that worries me. I see a pattern, one that I would prefer to not see re-played on the Flyers.

Schenn doesn't have a bad line for a "stay at home defenseman" Leads the league for hits from a blueliner. I'm still not convinced the Flyers need to hit a home run for a d-man. Schenn could be a good complimentary guy (3-4) for a long time. An ideal partner for a player like Carle, for instance. His hitting has to be reasonably consistent to get those numbers.

RK PLAYER TEAM GP G A PTS +/- PIM HITS BS

1 Luke Schenn, TOR 50 1 13 14 6 37 167 75

2 Brooks Orpik PIT 43 2 8 10 3 28 153 67

3 Matt Greene LA 51 3 4 7 -1 22 153 76

4 Dan Girardi NYR 49 4 13 17 9 12 140 124

5 Mark Fistric DAL 36 0 0 0 -1 29 140 55

6 Jared Cowen OTT 53 4 10 14 0 27 137 59

7 Alexei Emelin MTL 38 1 1 2 -3 16 137 59

8 Ryan O'Byrne COL 52 1 5 6 -1 39 129 94

9 Travis Hamonic NYI 49 1 11 12 3 57 128 110

10 Mark Stuart WPG 49 3 4 7 -6 76 123 126

Edited by Clarke2Leach

@JackStraw Valid point Straw-man. No matter how obvious things can seem at the NHL level, this year (along with others) has taught me one thing, what you see, is *not* always what you get. For instance, I figured the Flyers got outright ripped off when they acquired Versteeg, this year he is among league leaders in goals. I could have sworn he was a bum. He proved me wrong. This could indeed happen with Luke, stranger things have happened. Yet, he projects (at this point) as a stay at home d-man with limited offense.....but yet, the weakest part of his game is in his own end and involves simple solutions that he over-complicates by brain farts. After 281 NHL games, that worries me. I see a pattern, one that I would prefer to not see re-played on the Flyers.

Yeah, but with Versteeg it was more of a hit-or-miss type of thing. It was clearer than a day that he and the Flyers were a terrible match for each other. Not blaming either party, but it wasn't working out. Once he was put in a better situation, he started producing at a ridiculous rate. Some players need just that - the right place.

Not sure Luke Schenn is that type of a player. From what I am hearing, Ron Wilson is giving him all the freedom in the world. He lets Schenn throw himself out of position to make a bit hit, pinch offensively, he even increased his ice time... I just don't know hwat prevents him from playing better.

All in all, assuming the Flyers would have to give up quite a bit to get him, I think they can do much better than Luke Schenn. If the price is affordable, I say go for it. If not, I really don't see how he can bring to teh table what the Flyers don't have right now. But you and FC see him play more often, clearly, so I deter to you guys for a judgement.

Yeah, but with Versteeg it was more of a hit-or-miss type of thing. It was clearer than a day that he and the Flyers were a terrible match for each other. Not blaming either party, but it wasn't working out. Once he was put in a better situation, he started producing at a ridiculous rate. Some players need just that - the right place.

Not sure Luke Schenn is that type of a player. From what I am hearing, Ron Wilson is giving him all the freedom in the world. He lets Schenn throw himself out of position to make a bit hit, pinch offensively, he even increased his ice time... I just don't know hwat prevents him from playing better.

All in all, assuming the Flyers would have to give up quite a bit to get him, I think they can do much better than Luke Schenn. If the price is affordable, I say go for it. If not, I really don't see how he can bring to teh table what the Flyers don't have right now. But you and FC see him play more often, clearly, so I deter to you guys for a judgement.

The bold type sounds more like Phaneuf to me. Schenn (or whoever) would play with him to cover for his f**k ups.

From what I am hearing, Ron Wilson is giving him all the freedom in the world. He lets Schenn throw himself out of position to make a bit hit, pinch offensively, he even increased his ice time... I just don't know hwat prevents him from playing better.

If that's what Wilson has been doing maybe that is the problem. Schenn doesn't seem like the kind of guy I would give a lot of free reign to. I'd want him playing a solid positional stay at home type of defense. That's what he's supposed to be good at.