guts

Guest blocker

One of the kids in our old program came from a big family. He was one of five brothers. One of his brothers was an excellent hockey player, and the other three were a lot better than this individual. He was average, at best. He was a polite boy, but with an edge.

I used to periodically assign clean-up tasks to the different teams. I did it to foster an appreciation of the rink and to build a sense of responsibility for the upkeep of the building.

One such day, this kid came early and worked steadily. When we were done, I made a point of praising him for his effort. He gave me a kind of surprised look with an expression of something else that I couldn't understand. It could have been resentment.

He's a grown man now, in his forties. Last season, I saw him reffing. Some officials didn't show up and he worked three games in a row while we were there. Don't know how many he'd done earlier, but he was still on the ice when we left.

I found out that night that in a later game, he took a puck in the eye. He didn't lose the eye, but it was an iffey thing for a few weeks. I think fatigue might have been a factor in the injury.

Last night, we attended a couple high school games. He was one of the officials.

I would have liked to tell him that it took balls to get back on the ice. But, I didn't know how to say it. You never know how some people are going to react.

Edited by blocker

Everyone gets raised different ways. My daughter had a friend, no matter how many times she told her dad she loved him, he'd never say it back. Saw it several times with my own eyes. Never understood it, but figured it was taboo to say where he grew up.

Everyone gets raised different ways. My daughter had a friend, no matter how many times she told her dad she loved him, he'd never say it back. Saw it several times with my own eyes. Never understood it, but figured it was taboo to say where he grew up.

I once got angry with a kid who'd done something dishonest and then lied to me about it. My partner pushed me out of the locker room, before I lost it. He told me that I had no idea of what went on in some of those kids' homes.