Gordie Howe suffering from dementia at 82

Guest jammer2

What a sad story we have here. One of the greatest players and ambassadors to the game ever, falling ill to the same fate that took his beloved wife Colleen in 2009. A perfect example of how life can have cruel twists and turns. I guess his dementia is not really bad at this point, more like short term memory loss, but sadly, it will probably get worse. I met him once at the Windsor Arena....what a nice man.....every bit of the gentlemen he comes off as during interviews. Prayers and thoughts to the family during this trying time.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=386711

@jammer2 Thanks for the post. I actually found this story on the Detroit Free Press yesterday evening in which Gordie's son Marty downplays the report, saying it's not dementia...yet.

http://www.freep.com...e-howe-dementia

I've had to deal with dementia twice. My Dad slid downward through it. Now, it's reoccuring to someone else who's close.

The awful thing about it is that there's no real cure. It just gets worse and there's not a damn thing you can do to keep your people from slipping away.

@WingNut722 Across the river, in Windsor, Ontario. Huge, huge Tiger fan and kinda sorta cheer for the Pistons (not that I really care about basketball....but did care when the Bad Boys were in their hay day). I'm actually a 5th generation Tiger fan....my Great Great Grandfather rooted for them back in the late 1800's before he passed.

@jammer2 That's a hell of a history! I grew up in the western suburb of Dearborn into a passionate Tiger family, third generation though. My parents were the type to skip school to go to opening day. Every TV in the house has the Tiger game on so they could move around and not miss anything. My mother is still is upset that I moved out here to "Yankee Country."

We started getting into the Red Wings (like everyone else) in the 90s when they began to be successful again. Like you, we also rooted for the Bad Boys, but then history became legend, legend, became myth, until finally they won it all again in 2004. And the cycle begins anew....