Flyers acquire Matt Ford for Kevin Marshall

Guest jkearse123

Lets trade a 22 year old defenceman, which is a position of weakness, for a 27 year old forward, a position we are overloaded at. At least Holmgren didn't throw in a 2nd round pick...DID HE?

Not that I've know of, but I am hearing that a NTC may be involved.

Seems like a very strange move. Marshall looked like he could provide some depth on D, seems like a bigger need for the Flyers than a 27 year old RW career AHL'er.

Not if one of your Flyers wingers is going to be moved.....JVR...cough,cough.....just sayin'......somebody has to take Harry Z's spot on the Phantoms

Not if one of your Flyers wingers is going to be moved.....JVR...cough,cough.....just sayin'......somebody has to take Harry Z's spot on the Phantoms

Gosh. That does seem like the most likely reason for this sort of move. And of all our NHL forwards, JVR would be the one to get moved, which unless it's for Suter straight up, I wouldn't do--and JVR has to be cleared first from the concussion, which isn't imminent. What else could the reason for this be?

I can't for the life of me see how this deal helps out the Flyers. It's sickening really. I kinda figured Marshall was a bust, but held out hope I was wrong......but to deal a 3rd rounder to move up in the 2nd to select Marshall in the first place....and then move him for a soon to be 28 year old....WTF....BRUTAL. I'm disgusted with lateral moves like this.

Low impact trade. Marshall was not great when he was here. He played in limited minutes and was exposed quite a bit defensively. To be expected for a 22 year old rookie, but I think the Flyers might have realized that he's nothing better than bottom pairing material, which are a dime a dozen.

I think it means the Flyers are positioning themselves to bolster the defense at the NHL level, which will probably mean Gus and/or Bourdon get sent down to make room for Suter and Weber... uh, I mean, one over the hill defensive liability (Gill) and a middle of the road defenseman (Allen), for which they will overpay.

Carry on ;)

Low impact trade. Marshall was not great when he was here. He played in limited minutes and was exposed quite a bit defensively. To be expected for a 22 year old rookie, but I think the Flyers might have realized that he's nothing better than bottom pairing material, which are a dime a dozen.

I think it means the Flyers are positioning themselves to bolster the defense at the NHL level, which will probably mean Gus and/or Bourdon get sent down to make room for Suter and Weber... uh, I mean, one over the hill defensive liability (Gill) and a middle of the road defenseman (Allen), for which they will overpay.

Carry on ;)

LOL! OK, that's NOT funny!

@Jammer

I think the trade was good for both organizations. Marshall who was in his last year of of his contract and

they needed to clear some space here on defense and create ice time for the three rookies (Brandon Manning, Blake Kessel, Oliver Lauridsen) and an emerging Cullen Eddy. They basically traded a guy who had fallen out of their NHL plans for a player who can help the Phantoms right away. The Washington organization, meanwhile, lacks depth defensively, but has plenty of scoring forwards in Hershey.

Thus it makes the Phantoms a better team right away. They have little scoring depth. Ford becomes the second-leading scorer on the team and gives them a needed scoring threat on the right wing of the first line. Imo, this is another Read-type acquisition.

Marshall must have done something stupid that he shouldn't have. There can be no other reason for this trade other some kind of morals violation. A young 2nd round D-man for an aging 8th rounder that never sniffed the NHL?!?

Or McPhee has some pictures of Holmgren that Paul would rather keep private.

Edited by Digityman
PG13

@jammer2

I think the trade was good for both organizations. Marshall who was in his last year of of his contract and

they needed to clear some space here on defense and create ice time for the three rookies (Brandon Manning, Blake Kessel, Oliver Lauridsen) and an emerging Cullen Eddy. They basically traded a guy who had fallen out of their NHL plans for a player who can help the Phantoms right away. The Washington organization, meanwhile, lacks depth defensively, but has plenty of scoring forwards in Hershey.

Thus it makes the Phantoms a better team right away. They have little scoring depth. Ford becomes the second-leading scorer on the team and gives them a needed scoring threat on the right wing of the first line. Imo, this is another Read-type acquisition.

OK, I was with you until the last sentence. Huh? Ford has been playing pro hockey for quite a few years, is 27 and (red flag) is on his 7th team in the last 3 1/2 seasons. Read was coveted by several teams coming out of college.