Flyers acquire Matt Ford for Kevin Marshall

Guest jkearse123

@flyercanuck

Ok, yeah I agree he has bounced around in the AHL, Thus he isn't as talented as Read. And maybe I should have qualified that statement to mean he has the all around 2-way play like a Matt Read at the AHL level. I don't think Ford has played much on the first line, but he will be given that chance with the Phantoms. He has done reasonably well with Hershey this season.

Ford scores the game winner in his first game with the Phantoms snapping a five game losing skid. :P

Playing on the right wing of the top line with Denis Hamel and Ben Holmstrom, Ford gave the Phantoms a 2-0 lead 20 seconds into the second. He had a chance for another on a penalty shot later in the period. His backhand try flipped just over the crossbar.
Ford had a game-high six shots and hit a post. He gave the Phantoms the offensive boost they hoped for when the Flyers traded defenseman Kevin Marshall for him late Thursday.
"I was given an opportunity right away here and we had fun tonight," Ford said. "One of the things I know this team does is they work hard and I think that's one of the reasons I fit in here. I just wanted to come in and help out right away."
Ford's goal and the opportunity that created his penalty shot both came on blue-collar rushes to the net. That simplicity is a staple of his game.

http://poststar.com/...19bb2963f4.html

I suspect it has nothing to do with a JVR trade or NHL level trade. I think hockey works like most other business and that this was a wink & a nudge for another minor league deal or even information such as discussions the other gm had with other teams on player availability. But probably just a simple minor league deal...