Kyle Turris Signs

Guest doom88

source: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381038

Turris signs two-year, $2.8M deal with Coyotes

Kyle Turis's contract stand-off with the Phoenix Coyotes is over after he signed a two-year deal worth $2.8 million on Tuesday.

Turris will earn $1.2 million in the first season of the contract and $1.6 million in the second.

"Kyle is a top young player who will make us a better team," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said. "We look forward to having him in our lineup."

Turris, who was a restricted free agent, held out and refused to play this season when he and the team could not come to terms on a new deal over the summer. The 22-year-old asked the Coyotes for a trade in late October.

At the time, general manager Don Maloney said that Turris would not be moved, and if he didn't sign with the club, he would be sitting out for the year.

"If he wants to play in the NHL this season, he will re-sign with us," Maloney told ESPN in October. "We will not trade his rights under any circumstances and are prepared to live with the consequences if he decides to sit out this, and future, seasons."

Turris, who was the third overall pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, would have been ineligible to play in the league this season if he did not sign by Dec. 1 under the rules in the collective bargaining agreement.

"I am happy to sign with Phoenix and start playing," said Turris in a statement. "It's been a long process, but now I am focused on playing and helping the team win."

Turris scored 11 goals and 14 assists in a career-high 65 games for the Coyotes in 2010-11. In 131 career NHL games, he has scored 19 goals and added 27 assists with 39 penalty minutes.

Many Flyers Fans wanted Turris instead of JVR. I watched Turris in BC and a great talent in lower leagues, but to me a bust in the NHL. What an asshole to hold Phoenix hostage. He reeks of Lindros parents situation doing what he did. What has he accomplished to hold out AND demand a trade??? 25 points last season. WTF. He is now 22.

I can't imagine how the Phoenix fans (those that remain) will not want to spit on him!! I would if he was a Flyer!!!

Turris is total garbage so far, but I suppose its possible he will develop still. Can't imagine it will be worth the 3rd overall though.

By the way, WHO actually wanted Turris anyway? It was like 80% Kane, 20% JVR (I was actually in the JVR camp myself). I seriously cannot remember anyone wanting Turris.