Jimmy Howard Injured

Guest WingNut722

Detroit Free Press reports Jimmy Howard suffered a broken finger last night in Vancouver and will miss the rest of the road trip. Ty Conklin will be in net for the next two games against Edmonton and Phoenix. Howard will be reevaluated upon return to Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120203/SPORTS05/120203022/Red-Wings-Jimmy-Howard-out-2-games-with-broken-finger

I've broken fingers before and they take longer than a week to heal up. Expect Howard to be out a little longer than 2 games.

It will be alright, just a week or two.... Conklin will win a game or two in spite of himself and Joey Mac may get a start on the up coming home stand and will be fine. I dont want to sound like the Kevin Bacon character in Animal house yelling "all is well!!" but it is. Howard is playing at an elite level to be sure, but I would rather lose him now than later.

The Wings are a bit banged up. Holmstrom is slowed a bit right now (though to be fair, how can anyone tell?) Cleary needs the cyst removed when we get back home and will miss a week or so after the surgery but would rather have the injuries now than in March or April. Gives us a chance to showcase Mursak and posssibly Nyquist as tradebait for a big boy or two at the deadline. Go Wings tonite against the Oilers!!

The Wings are a bit banged up. Holmstrom is slowed a bit right now (though to be fair, how can anyone tell?)

Holmstrom is becoming a drag on the team, even before his knees started acting up. He can't skate or shoot very well, so his only place is in front of the goal. The trick now is that a lot of other defenders are getting wise to Homer's strategy, they get guys in there too to mess him up. It's so crowdxed in front of the net, that a lot of shots aren't getting through. And there's no reason to keep Homer in a lineup just to play i front of the net on power plays. I think it's time that Homer began to evaluate his future as his contract winds down. It would make a LOT of room for a young speedy, gritty winger on that fourth line

Holmstrom is becoming a drag on the team, even before his knees started acting up. He can't skate or shoot very well, so his only place is in front of the goal. The trick now is that a lot of other defenders are getting wise to Homer's strategy, they get guys in there too to mess him up. It's so crowdxed in front of the net, that a lot of shots aren't getting through. And there's no reason to keep Homer in a lineup just to play i front of the net on power plays. I think it's time that Homer began to evaluate his future as his contract winds down. It would make a LOT of room for a young speedy, gritty winger on that fourth line

The other night when Homer was out the speed on the fourth line with Mursak, Abdelkader and Emmerton was amazing, The kids really clicked. Youth must be served, it looks like Homer is staring down the end. He just doesnt have enough skill any more to play a significant role and while he has been a favorite of mine for a long time because of his unique abilities it is time to reevaluate at the end of the season.

Right there with ya Nut. There's no question Homer has excelled at his role throughout his career. His skills in front of the net were enough to let you overlook his lack of skating and shooting ability. As the years have gone by, his deficits have become un-ignorable, and so have the skills and speed of the younger players who have patiently waited for their shot at contributing on a more regular basis.

Like Draper before him, it will be time to see him go at the end of this season. Would be nice to send him off with one more Cup!