Trade Talk?

Guest The Quigster

After watching he Preds last night,specifically Webber&Suter (their loss) I think I'd still rather have Pronger back than one of them as his replacement. JVR is frequently mentioned in discussions here,typically negative,lets get rid of him in nature. My question is are all these GMs stupid,uninformed,blind in one eye,can't see out of the other? They don't want Giroux,Hartnell,Read,Briere,Simmonds,Voracek,Cooter,etc.. They always want JVR,why is that? I have mentioned Andy Sutton,as a decent,BIG,cheap "D" man who could get the Flyers threw the rest of the season. Pronger may suprise us and make it back,I hope so.In good playing shape he is still the best choice!

Weber or Sutter for Pronger and JVR any day!

And tell you why, remember Flyers scored 3 goals against their back up, I was suprised to see Preds played him instead Paka Riena.(name?)

So it's nothing to do with thier d-man, thier goalie was sucked bad.

I'd say the others are un-available but JVR is. But this is all pointless anyway since JVR looks to be out injured past the trade deadline. Besides, it looks like Suter is now un-available and any team taking on Webers HUGE contract would be nuts...

You mean like getting rid of 75% of the forwards in one offseason nuts?

Can we convince Nashville to take Briere, Bourdon, and JVR plus a 1st for Weber?

Getting rid of Briere's cap hit would go a real long way to clear space for Weber, but alas it seems Briere is unlikely to waive his NMC. He seems pretty enconsed in living in the area, his kids with their schools & teams. He just went through a divorce - I highly doubt he'd uproot the boys & subject them to any further instability.

That said, strictly team chemistry-wise, I think the Flyers would be fine without Briere considering his salary if it could mean adding a franchise dman like Weber (although Danny *is* a proven clutch playoff performer...)

Pronger may suprise us and make it back,I hope so.In good playing shape he is still the best choice!

I doubt it very much. Pronger didn't even feel well enough to attend a charity event. The guy just hopes he has a good day once in awhile.

Or will it take Schenn, JVR, Bourdon, and a 1st?

wow, you are really desperate! we finally got younger and have one of the deepest 9-12 in the league and your ready to blow that up for weber. no way not me! if prongers is done compelely then i sign him or sutter in the offseason. you want tough presecene? why not hal gill or something to that nature for a few 3rd rounnd picks. i am not ready to give up the next 8 years!

NOW if thier was one other player beside jvr that i would even think about moving for a #1 d would be briere but thats because i hav the theoretical gun to my head

I hate to sound like a broken record, but can this team make any "big" trades without getting a handle on Pronger's future? I also think getting rid of our youngins, with the possible exception of JVR, seems like a bad move given their play so far and their potential. Briere...for reasons stated earlier is an unlikely move.

Best,

Howie

After watching he Preds last night,specifically Webber&Suter (their loss) I think I'd still rather have Pronger back than one of them as his replacement. JVR is frequently mentioned in discussions here,typically negative,lets get rid of him in nature. My question is are all these GMs stupid,uninformed,blind in one eye,can't see out of the other? They don't want Giroux,Hartnell,Read,Briere,Simmonds,Voracek,Cooter,etc.. They always want JVR,why is that? I have mentioned Andy Sutton,as a decent,BIG,cheap "D" man who could get the Flyers threw the rest of the season. Pronger may suprise us and make it back,I hope so.In good playing shape he is still the best choice!

Suter is going to end up UFA and Nashville will never let Weber go.

Meanwhile, IMO the Flyers need a d man at some point. They have a need in the short run If they want to get out of round one because both Bourdon and Lilja make terrible decisions with the puck. Bourdon seems to have regressed a bit and the team is often spending a lot of time in its own zone ironing out his mistakes. I don't expect them to do anything in the short term because of the CBA expiration, the uncertainty with Pronger and the fact that there isn't anyone out there that will make a difference for them anyway.

Long term, they have to replace Pronger's minutes and decide what they are going to do about resigning Carle. I suspect they will eventually resign Carle because it makes no sense for them to part ways with him when doing that would leave them so thin. Replacing Pronger's minutes is impossible to do with one player but I don't see Suter as being the answer or even part of the answer. He isn't very physical and his price tag doesn't leave enough cap space to add that dimension to their top 4.

All that said, the whole situation is so up in the air with so many moving parts (the CBA, Pronger's health, Carle's contract, pending FA's, how the team finishes, etc, not to mention the organization's unpredicability) that it is tough to predict what will happen.

Is this team really a cup contender? I guess that's the big question. I would love for them to get a franchise Dman but not necessarily at the expense of the young team they have. I think wait til FA or even be seller's at the deadline and bring in a young prospect like the Zhitnik for Coburn trade years back...if they don't think they'll resign Carle for what he's asking for, get something for him.

Is this team really a cup contender? I guess that's the big question. I would love for them to get a franchise Dman but not necessarily at the expense of the young team they have. I think wait til FA or even be seller's at the deadline and bring in a young prospect like the Zhitnik for Coburn trade years back...if they don't think they'll resign Carle for what he's asking for, get something for him.

I would look at it bigger picture and include Kimmo in the uncertainty of the D along with Carle's contract, Pronger's future, moving Lilja out for a better rental, and Bourdon's puck decision making. I see this being addressed in the off season prior to July.

If Bryz keeps up the strong play, you bet this team is champ caliber. Look how far they got without solid net play.

This has to be the funniest thing I've read on here lately.

Because you don't believe the Flyers are decent goalie play away from top tier, or the idea of Bryz playing well for any stretch is just plain laughable?

I believe you've got your answer.

Unfortunately, with the quality of play we get from Bryz, we could trade for Boston's starting 5 skaters and it wouldn't make a difference.