Klingberg requests a trade

Brewin Flames

© Sergei Belski-USA TODAY Sports

image.png.a3dcc001c7d4f73dd66595ca481491f6.png

It appears as though a giant wrench has been thrown into John Klingberg’s short-term future. The pending unrestricted free-agent defenseman hasn’t had much progress in contract talks with the Dallas Stars, or at least it hadn’t been reported. Now, The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta says sources have told him that Klingberg has requested a trade from the team.

If that’s the case, it puts the Stars in a really unique position. While they currently sit fourth-last in the Western Conference, they have many games in hand on the rest of the playing field. In fact, when sorting by points percentage, the Stars are currently eighth in the conference, well within the playoff mix.

However, a Klingberg deal at the trade deadline could bring in a lot of good future assets for the team.

He’d surely be one of the most desirable assets available — a first-pairing right-shot defenseman in his prime with a reasonable cap hit demands astronomical value. He has one year left with a cap hit of $4.25M, something that nearly any contender could take on if a third party is involved to retain salary.

Klingberg is sixth on the Stars with 16 points in 25 games. While he’s not having his best season, he’s demonstrated a long track record of being able to lead a power-play and swallow up tough minutes. A change of scenery at the deadline could bring out his best for a playoff run, where he’s done well historically.

And while a return for Klingberg may bring in a great package, it could force the Stars to make some weird moves at the trade deadline. If they’re still in playoff position and feel as though they’re in a position to contend, it would make a lot of sense to deal Klingberg in advance of the deadline. It’s appealing to his new team, as it gives him more time to adjust to his new systems and surroundings.

It also gives the Stars time to regroup, allowing them to flip some of the Klingberg return to put themselves in a buyers’ position at the trade deadline.

Regardless, it’s a giant wrinkle in the Klingberg story. All eyes will be on him for the next few months, as he’s also going to be one of the best defensemen available on the free-agent market this offseason.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

Interesting.

On the one hand, Klingberg has seen his overall production drop tremendously since he first came onto the scene and he can't seem to stay healthy for long stretches of time.

On the other hand, part of his regression may be due to the heavy emphasis on defense first play in Dallas.
Let's face it...John Klingberg is primarily an offensive minded defenseman and is at his best when allowed to roam freely and act more like a forward than a D-man.
Yes, that means more chances against if he is caught up ice, but those are the kinds of things you live with allowing a d-man to do those things.

His current cap hit is around 4.25M. Question will then be....What will he want to stay on with a team that does trade for him?

I say, if he is on a team where all they really want from him is his offensive ability (something along the lines of Kevin Shattenkirk, or Tyson Barrie), and will live with whatever defensive liabilities that creates, he can fit in...and he might even stay healthier if he isn't doing too much of the tough, defensive stuff Dallas likes their players to do.

It's a big ask, because most teams want defensemen to, you know, DEFEND, but if some team has most of those bases covered, and has some assets they could part with, Klingberg may fit in just right.
New York Rangers perhaps? Or the Florida Panthers?

• Like 1

No surprises here. If I was Klingberg I'd be pissed to see how much the Stars pay Benn, Seguin and especially Lindell in a Bowness system that completely handcuff him. The Heiskanen contract and the Suter one mean that a new deal was impossible to reach.

My guess is Pittsburgh. He could be a replacement to Letang if he doesn't stay with the Pens.

• Like 1

I think Friedman said Klingberg wants an 8 year deal, which I think is way too much, if true. No-one knows how Klingberg is doing. He's been sidetracked for a year or two, probably because of the Stars' system, and the appearance of Heiskanen, but is it for sure that those are the only reasons. Maybe he's just stagnating, aging before his time, or injuries slowing him down. I think he needs a change of scenery, and he should accept more of a prove-it kind of deal. To my eyes it's a bit like Taylor Hall in Edmonton. 8 years is a long time, a risky deal for the team. As a player he's of course very tempting for any team.

Numbers have been falling. He's not old, but his best years are likely behind him. Wants a long term contract, likely wants to be paid for what he's already done. Plays for the Dallas Stars (formerly Minnesota North Stars). 

Ya, this has Chuckie written all over it. Farabees looking like a good part of the future, send him and a 1st. Oh and throw in next years 2nd...we don't have one this year, he already threw it away. We need a defenceman who plays D and Klingberg doesn't, so I can see the worst GM in the league sending a boatload to take the place of

(A) Shayne Gostisbehere who he send away with picks for nothing

(B) Keith Yandle who he brought in to quarterback the pp (what Ghost could do) and turned out to be one of the worst players in the league

(C)Phillipe Myers who had a terrible season last year, along with every other player on the franchise not named Farabee and was thrown in on a trade for...

(D)Ryan Ellis who he brought in to solidify the D and has a resounding FOUR, that's 4, games under his belt. 

(E) Rasmus Ristolainen who Chuckie waaaaaay overpaid for and has played exactly how he always has, mindlessly, but with big hits and please God don't sign him longterm to a ridiculous contract.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Numbers have been falling. He's not old, but his best years are likely behind him. Wants a long term contract, likely wants to be paid for what he's already done. Plays for the Dallas Stars (formerly Minnesota North Stars). 

Ya, this has Chuckie written all over it. Farabees looking like a good part of the future, send him and a 1st. Oh and throw in next years 2nd...we don't have one this year, he already threw it away. We need a defenceman who plays D and Klingberg doesn't, so I can see the worst GM in the league sending a boatload to take the place of

(A) Shayne Gostisbehere who he send away with picks for nothing

(B) Keith Yandle who he brought in to quarterback the pp (what Ghost could do) and turned out to be one of the worst players in the league

(C)Phillipe Myers who had a terrible season last year, along with every other player on the franchise not named Farabee and was thrown in on a trade for...

(D)Ryan Ellis who he brought in to solidify the D and has a resounding FOUR, that's 4, games under his belt. 

(E) Rasmus Ristolainen who Chuckie waaaaaay overpaid for and has played exactly how he always has, mindlessly, but with big hits and please God don't sign him longterm to a ridiculous contract.

Lol, I'm trying to buy low on him in my Keeper...which is the opposite of ol' Chucky I guess

11 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, I'm trying to buy low on him in my Keeper...which is the opposite of ol' Chucky I guess

Everytime a house in my neighborhood sells for 30% over asking I always fully expect the Fletcher family to move in.

• Haha 1

It's frustrating on both sides because the Stars just can't sign him on a longterm deal at around $7M-$8M AAV, their hands are tight but it's their fault: the Albatross contract of Benn and Seguin along with the Heiskanen extension and the terrible Suter contract make that impossible. I'm sure it would've been a done deal if they were more loose with the cap.

About Klingberg, yeah his best years are probably behind him but he's still a great puck-moving D-man very useful in PP. On the other hand, his defensive game is quite poor and consistency is an issue: he was awfully bad two years ago but was one of the best the next season. I think there's no other options (and the best for both sides) than trading him at that point for the best possible return.

• 4 months later...

I don't see Klingberg back next season with the Dallas Stars and even though I see him as a good defenseman, I don't see him worth the money he is asking. So let him go and replace him with others who want to be here and have the skills to help the club for the future. 

4 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

How much is he asking for?

I seriously doubt there are many teams, if any(although Fletcher might be interested in him - so paying him 8 mil until he's 35 could be possible there), to pay him a longterm deal at 7 or 8 mil, when he'll be 30 in August.  Can't imagine there are many interested in paying him 5 mil per for what he provides.  He's a good NHL dman.  He's not a great, top tier NHL dman.  His own zone play alone has to be a huge reason why he's not going to get many offers for much of a raise at all.

He is looking for a long term deal anywhere between 62-65 million.  The yearly price would be around 8 million. 

2 hours ago, Otter said:

I don't see Klingberg back next season with the Dallas Stars and even though I see him as a good defenseman, I don't see him worth the money he is asking. So let him go and replace him with others who want to be here and have the skills to help the club for the future. 

We can trade you Risto to replace him.

No worries...

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

We can trade you Risto to replace him.

No worries...

🤣 I had to pull myself off the floor on that one.

What is the salary that Risto is making? It is obviously way too much. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Hahahahhahahahha!  🤣  He's having one hell of a dream then, if that's anywhere close to the truth, when he's about to be 30.

That is why I really doubt he will be back in a Stars uniform next season. 

• Like 1