Nick Lidstrom hired as VP of hockey operations

J0e Th0rnton

• 4 weeks later...

@J0e Th0rnton

Nick Lidstrom’s greatest strength on the ice was his decision making. In fact, one of the more interesting articles I’ve read about him after his retirement was about a Scandinavian company who studied his career and made algorithms in software to mimic his decision making. And when they asked him to come and see what they had put together, he was astonished to find that they had VERY ACCURATELY elicited both WHAT he was thinking and WHEN he made whatever decision he would make on the ice. Whether or not you give the nod for Best Defenseman ever to play the game to Nick or to Bobby Orr (I personally give it to Orr), I think it is safe to say that he was without question the best decision maker as a defenseman to ever play the game.

Time will tell if his excellence at decision making translates well to the front office, but I suspect it will.

3 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

@J0e Th0rnton

Nick Lidstrom’s greatest strength on the ice was his decision making. In fact, one of the more interesting articles I’ve read about him after his retirement was about a Scandinavian company who studied his career and made algorithms in software to mimic his decision making. And when they asked him to come and see what they had put together, he was astonished to find that they had VERY ACCURATELY elicited both WHAT he was thinking and WHEN he made whatever decision he would make on the ice. Whether or not you give the nod for Best Defenseman ever to play the game to Nick or to Bobby Orr (I personally give it to Orr), I think it is safe to say that he was without question the best decision maker as a defenseman to ever play the game.

Time will tell if his excellence at decision making translates well to the front office, but I suspect it will.

He was a great decision maker relative to eras and team style. When goalie pads were smaller and more guys played standup, it required Defenseman to attack the puck carrier more during their zone entries rather than just take his angles away so his style wasn't as effective until the mid 90's. He also adjusted to the new rules faster than anyone in 2006.

He's definitely in the top 5 all time.

• Like 1