Game 36 (2nd Try): Bruins at Flyers; 1/13/22 @ 7, ESPN

Howie58

35 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The Bruins are sure as hell trying hard to help the Flyers tie it, as they give them a 5 on 3. Accwpt the gift.

That 5 on 3 was a complete disgrace. No set up no set plays just running around hoping for a lucky bounce. 

• Like 2

The computer simulation was one goal off.  3-2 instead of 3-1.  If you take out the stink bomb first, there were positives.  But Rask made timely stops.  And we have no Pasta Man.  Our PP isn't good.  

On another note, I thought the ESPN coverage was good.  I liked Messier, Boosh, and the others.  The occasional overhead/aerial shot is different and gives a feel for the half-ice.  

Farabee and Cam have some juice.  I am unsure about the rest of our forwards.  Yeo has some gumption going for the open net early.  But the losses pile up.  Maybe Yeo changes the bad habits.  But that won't matter much without the talent. 

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The computer simulation was one goal off.  3-2 instead of 3-1.  If you take out the stink bomb first, there were positives.  But Rask made timely stops.  And we have no Pasta Man.  Our PP isn't good.  

On another note, I thought the ESPN coverage was good.  I liked Messier, Boosh, and the others.  The occasional overhead/aerial shot is different and gives a feel for the half-ice.  

Farabee and Cam have some juice.  I am unsure about the rest of our forwards.  Yeo has some gumption going for the open net early.  But the losses pile up.  Maybe Yeo changes the bad habits.  But that won't matter much without the talent. 

No disrespect, I just don't see what you see in Farabee. York on the other hand will be a stud in this league.

5 minutes ago, Fizz said:

No disrespect, I just don't see what you see in Farabee. York on the other hand will be a stud in this league.

I agree on York. Maybe Farabee isn't that great but compared to his teammates, his quick shot and speed stand out.

3 hours ago, Fizz said:

That 5 on 3 was a complete disgrace. No set up no set plays just running around hoping for a lucky bounce. 

Yup, when you're gifted this opportunity to tie a game and you do not much of anything, well, you're not going to win. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fizz said:

York hasn't been there long enough to get the Flyer treatment.

Farabee looked great least year. Before him it was Konecny, Provorov, Sanheim. York looks like he's going to be a stud. So did those other guys. Then...Flyers.

• Good Post 1

23 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I just noticed this game is an ESPN÷ affair. I won't be watching. 

I just realized this game in in somewhere...I still wont be watching

oh.....and I hate the fcking Bruins 🤬

I wonder how many goals we have given up in the first and last two minutes of periods this year?  I suspect it is far higher than peers.  We also fail to open scoring. That's a recipe for losing in this league--I think first goal scorers win 60% of games.  Last night was a prime example of how our slow starts are crushing.  

I'm old enough to remember when they were "just" five points out of a playoff spot.

Now that's 11 points and the Bruins still have two games in hand...

The Flyers are now five points ahead of.... *checks notes*... Buffalo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Flyers utter incompetence and/or disregard for developing talent is - put it kindly - not good. I picked Rad's brain a bit yesterday about the "phillyosophy," and the lack of player development seems right in line with it.

I hope Farabee can withstand the stupidity around him. Provorov has had a tough time keeping ahead of it. Even Hart has shown some cracks. Konecny too. I'd add practically every under-25 player on the Flyers. They look great their rookie season, tons of potential ... then it evaporates, they plateau or worse flat out regress.

This franchise is in a deep funk.  Comcast leadership and Scott need to see a systems problem. We have had the same inconsistency for a decade plus.  

I think this trade deadline and off-season (which will not include a playoff absent a new "Miracle on Ice"),  will be an important pivot.  Candidly, I don't think Yeo will be a big part of the problem or solution.  I think the bigger issues are what we've been discussing the last few weeks.  Who are we drafting? Why do they seem to stagnate?  Is our medical staff competent?  Do we know how to make timely, relevant "add on" trades to bolster a core?  

I could go on.  Tomorrow we play a Rangers team that turned it around in 2-3 seasons.  I live eight miles from Sunrise and see a Panthers squad that's become top-flight through good drafts and really shrewd pickups.   

Clarke's remarks earlier this week have some merit.  Yeah, he made some miscues as GM, but the Snider Way meant hard competition.  It's one thing to watch a loss.  It's another to watch, as we did last night, two periods of compete after a snoozer first.   This shouldn't happen constantly.  

I hope Fletcher--if he is GM--admits defeat on Risto and doesn't re-up him.  Meanwhile, he needs to start selling and follow in the Rangers footsteps with a quick rebuild.  If Scott thinks Fletcher is part of the problem, I go after one of the Nashville or Columbus Assistant GM's to get us back on track.  

Edited by Howie58

What's funny about this game is that judging by the score, one might think this was a close game.  This was Boston's second back-to-back game, while the Flyers were resting for days.  Boston didn't even seem too motivated to play, and they still were better in many aspects of the game.  The lack of talent on this Flyers' team is just staggering.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

is this possible for any player currently on this roster?

You know after watching 15 minutes of last night game only reason I tuned in was to see how ESPN handled the broadcast and yeah you have a point.

It's HOPELESS.

:BrownBag:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

What's funny about this game is that judging by the score, one might think this was a close game.  This was Boston's second back-to-back game, while the Flyers were resting for days.  Boston didn't even seem too motivated to play, and they still were better in many aspects of the game.  The lack of talent on this Flyers' team is just staggering.  

I have to say...yes and no on this. I saw what you describe too but I also saw a helluva competitive 2nd and 3rd (forget the 1st the Flyers were statues). But I was surprised to see the Flyers go toe-to-toe with the Bruins and not give an inch. They didn't fall apart the way they normally do. Forgive the old-school idea but I believe 100% it all changed after MacEwen whipped Lewington.

Still...there's your final sentence and it's hard to ignore. There's *some* talent for sure but the drop-off is steep after a small handful of players. The 3rd and 4th-year players stagnating  - snakebitten whatever - makes matters that much worse. But I would not give up on TK or even Sanheim. Just get some damn coaches in there who know how to develop younger players. Fk it isn't rocket science.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I agree on York. Maybe Farabee isn't that great but compared to his teammates, his quick shot and speed stand out.

sadly, so does his compete level.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

This franchise is in a deep funk.  Comcast leadership and Scott need to see a systems problem. We have had the same inconsistency for a decade plus.  

I think this trade deadline and off-season (which will not include a playoff absent a new "Miracle on Ice"),  will be an important pivot.  Candidly, I don't think Yeo will be a big part of the problem or solution.  I think the bigger issues are what we've been discussing the last few weeks.  Who are we drafting? Why do they seem to stagnate?  Is our medical staff competent?  Do we know how to make timely, relevant "add on" trades to bolster a core?  

I could go on.  Tomorrow we play a Rangers team that turned it around in 2-3 seasons.  I live eight miles from Sunrise and see a Panthers squad that's become top-flight through good drafts and really shrewd pickups.   

Clarke's remarks earlier this week have some merit.  Yeah, he made some miscues as GM, but the Snider Way meant hard competition.  It's one thing to watch a loss.  It's another to watch, as we did last night, two periods of compete after a snoozer first.   This shouldn't happen constantly.  

I hope Fletcher--if he is GM--admits defeat on Risto and doesn't re-up him.  Meanwhile, he needs to start selling and follow in the Rangers footsteps with a quick rebuild.  If Scott thinks Fletcher is part of the problem, I go after one of the Nashville or Columbus Assistant GM's to get us back on track.  

this has been a consistent pattern since at least the last 11-12 years. Hell, we did this in 2010 SCFs. Weather the storm in the first 10 minutes and then settle in to our game (except now the Flyers don't have "a game" to settle into). That's 3GMs and 6 coaches ago, unless I'm forgetting somebody. How is it that this is still happening night in and night out? At this point its become so commonplace and accepted that we only notice if they actually play a competitive first period.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

sadly, so does his compete level.

this has been a consistent pattern since at least the last 11-12 years. Hell, we did this in 2010 SCFs. Weather the storm in the first 10 minutes and then settle in to our game (except now the Flyers don't have "a game" to settle into). That's 3GMs and 6 coaches ago, unless I'm forgetting somebody. How is it that this is still happening night in and night out? At this point its become so commonplace and accepted that we only notice if they actually play a competitive first period.

Pastranuk 3-Flyers 2. That’s how teams win certain games and gain important points in the standings. A veteran player steps up and shows everyone how it’s done.The Flyers still don’t have a true gamer who can rise to the occasion and  single-handedly win a game. Our guys usually disappear and go on 15 game scoreless streaks. Farabee might potentially become that kinda guy for the Flyers. I don’t think he is as skilled as Pastanuk but he is probably our most naturally skilled young guy at this point. Guys like Konecny, Sanheim and Provy have yet to step up and play consistent hockey, let alone become the go to guys on this team.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

See this is how you go all out and play to the whistle maybe the kid can teach them when is the last time you saw Giroux skate like this in a losing effort??? Hell give Cam the C right now.

Best part of the game i missed...

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

See this is how you go all out and play to the whistle maybe the kid can teach them when is the last time you saw Giroux skate like this in a losing effort??? Hell give Cam the C right now.

Best part of the game i missed...

Trade him now. His value will never be higher

• Uggh... 1

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I have to say...yes and no on this. I saw what you describe too but I also saw a helluva competitive 2nd and 3rd (forget the 1st the Flyers were statues). But I was surprised to see the Flyers go toe-to-toe with the Bruins and not give an inch. They didn't fall apart the way they normally do. Forgive the old-school idea but I believe 100% it all changed after MacEwen whipped Lewington.

Still...there's your final sentence and it's hard to ignore. There's *some* talent for sure but the drop-off is steep after a small handful of players. The 3rd and 4th-year players stagnating  - snakebitten whatever - makes matters that much worse. But I would not give up on TK or even Sanheim. Just get some damn coaches in there who know how to develop younger players. Fk it isn't rocket science.

Yes, I can agree with that, in general.  The 2nd and 3rd were better.  At least the Flyers tried. But I don't know if that was the Flyers, or Boston being tired and just hanging on to their lead.

Edited by Mad Dog

10 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Yes, I can agree with that, in general.  The 2nd and 3rd were better.  At least the Flyers tried. But I don't know if that was the Flyers, or Boston being tired and just hanging on to their lead.

Boston missing half their starting D as well as playing back to back. I think that had a lot to do with it.