Get Bryz a compass...

Guest Adamflyers

Hey, I never bought into the hype over him. I thought he was a good goalie, but I was not happy about the enormous contract. This thread is about holding Homer accountable for this move. He is paid as a goalie who is supposed to win games for this team even if they are not playing well. I really hope he even partially lives up to that status.

Well, we'll see tomorrow night if he found his way out of the woods. Of even more concern to me is if Jagr is rushing back to soon.

Bryzgalov is a streaky goalie in terms of shut down ability. Always has been. Always will be. But with a stable, reliable and familiar defense in front of him, he can be the steady stay-at-home goalie that makes the stops you need goalies to make and doesn't give up soft goals.

The "familiarity" on D is both between the goalie and D and the pairings amongst themselves. Bad bounces, odd deflections, etc. are often a result of players out of position or matchups lost in the shuffle. It's no accident that both goalies have played well with most of the Flyers' regular set D on the ice and had problems as they've shuffled pairings and disrupted chemistry.

And he's a head case - all goalies are head cases.

Jagr is coming back too soon in my esteemed medical opinion. Why they feel the need to potentially aggravate a known ailment of Jagr's - the groin - is beyond me. He's aggravated it twice in the past month and came back too soon the first time. Why not let him take the time?

Yes, you're in sixth - but you're 3 points behind first with two games in hand. And three points out of eighth with one in hand.

Have Jagr meet you in Buffalo.

I don't believe in "listening to the player" above all else. I believe in looking at what it takes an injury to "heal" and getting the player back to a true 100%. Err on the side of caution and maybe lose a game or two in the regular season vs. reinjuring the player severely or establishing a chronic problem.

Playoffs are a different story, for me, because of their immediate proximity to the off-season and long term ability to heal. That policy also has it's dangers - especially if you let a player like Laperriere make his own decision.

Bryzgalov better put together a good long streak of wins beginning tonight. The rumblings are all over the place that we got screwed - or, I should say, we screwed ourselves with this dumb deal. What a crock of a contract. Homer really should've done better, even if there was serious pressure from Snider to "get a legit #1."

A player who tells the media "I want to be the highest paid goaltender in the NHL" probably doesn't have the interests of his team at heart...even if he can play. There were so many red flags about this deal there is no way it should've gone down the way it did. Nobody, not even Bryzgalov himself could say whether his regular season success in Phoenix would translate into solid play in Philly. We should've offered 3 years, take it or leave it. If he "left it," fine, we have Bob. Maybe you're not sold on Bob but even if you're not you have to admit he's full of potential. And he's hungry (as he should be) to start NHL games.

We really fkd ourselves with this stupid Bryzgalov deal.