Bryzgalov Trade Talk

Guest flyercanuck

I'd take an old moldy jockstrap just to get rid of this overpaid bum.

I hear you! When Bryz was mentioned at first before he got here all I heard "he is underrated, he is awesome bla bla" but STILL he had not PROVED ANYTHING. All he did was playing for crappy teams and being a back-up for all I know. Sure he is a decent golie but for this money? no mofo way.

I don't see enough of Quick to have an opinion. If Montreal wins games, Price is usually the reason. We've all seen what Thomas can do, and unfortunately for the rest of the league, he's doing it again.

Bryzgalov is paid to win games, not lose them. That was a horrible Islander team that was scoring at will until we switched goaltenders. He looked like Leighton in there, only not as good.

So, it is him, or the Flyers?

As in, if you put Quick or Price or Thomas back there, would it be any different?

Why can't it be both? I have stated many times that the defense is pretty weak. But he lets in softies a lot and is terrible at handling the puck.

Why can't it be both? I have stated many times that the defense is pretty weak. But he lets in softies a lot and is terrible at handling the puck.

Because you said that he was shaping up to be what you expected, which implies a goaltender with a >3.00 GAA and <.900 sv%.

So, it is him, or the Flyers?

As in, if you put Quick or Price or Thomas back there, would it be any different?

I think so yes. Im not the type of guy who thinks golies are the most important player on the team... but when you pay a guy that mutch you expect that he does crazy impossible gamewinning saves. Make the difference. Not just being decent or solid. Tim Thomas does that for an example.

I wouldnt complain if we just had Bob and he would playing like Bryz is doing now becouse then we could afford 1 or 2 better defensmen or a winger

I'm back and forth. After waiting for a true #1 for so long, which I think it's fair to say Bryz is when he is on his game, will the fans and the media turn on him if he doesn't start playing like one by Jan 1? Feb1? Nobody wanted Tim Thomas just a year or two before he literally carried the Bruins to the cup. He's off his game but are the Flyers realistically winning the cup this year? Let him grow with the team this year. Work out some kinks, get younger on D some how and let the kids develop.

Now if he is still playing like this late this season and even next fall? Run him out of town with flaming pitchforks.

Because you said that he was shaping up to be what you expected, which implies a goaltender with a >3.00 GAA and <.900 sv%.

I expected him to not be what he was in phx. That is what we are seeing. I believe it is because of a combo of an overrated blueline and him not being as good as advertised.

I think our D is fine, both our D-men (even if a few of them are getting old) and our Team D. Factoring in all the new players and the number of rookies who are starting, I'm really impressed by the cohesion they've shown this early. Of course they've made mistakes but they're not easy to play against. Even with the blown coverage fk-ups here and there, the Flyers D is not the glaring problem on the ice.

What's hurting the Flyers the most are the undisciplined penalties, the anemic PP and the goaltending, specifically Bryzgalov.

Exactly what the fk did we get for ~$60 million? Can anyone deny Bryzgalov has sucked for the most part so far? a few good games and the rest of the time he's been out to lunch. Great.

Forget the salary forget the 9 years, does this guy inspire confidence? At all? I wonder what the skaters are thinking lately...

We have to wait and let everything settle in and see whats going on mid season

Lets be real this is a rebuilding year and unfortunately Bryz is not as steady as he has been other places.

If he carried the Yotes maybe he knew that and had a better mental approach, maybe he does not have the mental edge here with all the big names on D, Flyers history etc-that is he is too fracking relaxed- and I dont mean shale energy process, its a battlestar galactic reference to another word

I expected him to not be what he was in phx. That is what we are seeing. I believe it is because of a combo of an overrated blueline and him not being as good as advertised.

Flyers defense:

Pronger

Timonen

Coburn

Carle

Meszaros

Lilja/Gus/MAB/Walker

Coyotes defense:

Yandle

Ekman-Larsson

Schlemko

Klesla

Aucoin

Morris

Rozsival

Is that Coyotes defense really better than ours? Morris is overrated, Rozsival is bad, and Ekman-Larsson was a rookie last year, so probably prone to some mistakes. Aucoin, well, I don't know much about his defensive play... but he's pretty old. I would love to have Yandle, but he's their #1, so of course we would want him here.

I just don't see how that defense is so much better than ours (if at all!). So I wouldn't say that our defensemen are unable to do the job; I really believe that if you swap their 6 for our 6, you'd probably end up with the same result.. i.e., we would still be bad defensively.

And Bryz being overrated? Absolutely. I was happy they went after him because in my mind, *anything* was an upgrade over that clusterf*&k that we had last year. But 9 years AND an NMC for a 31 year old goalie???? Sheer stupidity. Guess he didn't learn from the Pronger contract debacle.

I'll say it again: there is no way in hell that Bryz lasts nine years in Philly. Book it!

I mentioned during game chat that the coyotes have a system that worked for bryz and that defense. I said that in response to you saying laviolette's system is partly to blame. We agreed in other words. Comparing players on paper is not going to work in this case. Many people have said how awful mesz has looked so far this year. And carle is ALWAYS lost when Pronger is out. Timonen has looked bad more often then not as well this year. The defense is a paper tiger.

What I'm seeing are all things that can be worked out. Our team defense has been terrible. The defensemen have been okay with the exception of clearing out the front of the net on occasion. The forwards need to do a better job of picking up the loose man in the slot or back door. Maybe Bryz is expecting them to be covered and not ready for the shot. I'm not defending him for letting those goals in but that could be the case. If March comes around and those softies are still going in, then I'll gladly admit I was wrong. I hope this all works out with time playing together.

Flyers defense:

Pronger

Timonen

Coburn

Carle

Meszaros

Lilja/Gus/MAB/Walker

Coyotes defense:

Yandle

Ekman-Larsson

Schlemko

Klesla

Aucoin

Morris

Rozsival

Is that Coyotes defense really better than ours? Morris is overrated, Rozsival is bad, and Ekman-Larsson was a rookie last year, so probably prone to some mistakes. Aucoin, well, I don't know much about his defensive play... but he's pretty old. I would love to have Yandle, but he's their #1, so of course we would want him here.

I just don't see how that defense is so much better than ours (if at all!). So I wouldn't say that our defensemen are unable to do the job; I really believe that if you swap their 6 for our 6, you'd probably end up with the same result.. i.e., we would still be bad defensively.

And Bryz being overrated? Absolutely. I was happy they went after him because in my mind, *anything* was an upgrade over that clusterf*&k that we had last year. But 9 years AND an NMC for a 31 year old goalie???? Sheer stupidity. Guess he didn't learn from the Pronger contract debacle.

I'll say it again: there is no way in hell that Bryz lasts nine years in Philly. Book it!

Sure, that's stupid enough. But the thing that really gets me is he traded Richards and Carter away who he'd signed to longterm deals before their NTCs kicked in and then goes and hands out yet another one to a guy who really hasn't proven a whole lot, other than he's about as good as any other goalie we've had over the last 20 odd years.

And Bryz being overrated? Absolutely.

I think he is still capable of playing at a very high level but that his sensibilities are so delicate that it will take a season or two for him to settle in anywhere he goes. I get the sense that if he walks into his bathroom and his toothbrush is in the wrong place, he can't sleep for a week. He's the quintessential flaky goaltender who is off his feed right now.

I mentioned during game chat that the coyotes have a system that worked for bryz and that defense. I said that in response to you saying laviolette's system is partly to blame. We agreed in other words. Comparing players on paper is not going to work in this case. Many people have said how awful mesz has looked so far this year. And carle is ALWAYS lost when Pronger is out. Timonen has looked bad more often then not as well this year. The defense is a paper tiger.

Gotcha. I agree that you can't compare these things on paper only.

Does anyone know what system PHoenix actually uses? I haven't watched them enough (or at all, actually) to know how they play.