Head Coach - Was AV "really" the problem?

CoachX

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

First i want a guy with a clear plan....then he needs to make sure the players understand it and then they need to be accountable to be able to executor their assignments within the plan. 

Then if they can't well hold them accountable...scratch them then if need be like BA did to AB if you ain't helping then you got to get the fcuk out of here....but we know it goes further than just the coach it comes from the complete top all the way to the roots in the grounds.

And we know it will a quick fix up if anything is done at all. But i guess we can hold out hope.

One thing for sure is i won't watch it. I can't again this year with this team i have seen enough it.

Holding out for change....

:BrownBag:

I want a guy who isn't afraid to hold players accountable, regardless of contract value and status. I also want a guy who knows HOW to develop players once they get to the NHL. There seems to be a fallacy that once a young player is in the NHL that their development is done and they're a finished product. That's not even close to true. Development has to be a must. More important, I want a coach that KNOWS what role is best for said player. For instance, Frost shouldn't be on a line with MacEwen and Willman. He should be playing with other skilled players and that he's still a work in progress. Usage must matter with the next head coach 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As long as Clarke and Holmgren are there to throw them under a bus and stab them in the back, I'd probably stay away too. Clarke's attack on Hextall to protect his lackey Schmuck should show everyone just how dysfunctional this franchise is. It was Schmuck who brought in Vigneault, who then proceeded to railroad Gostisbehere, Hart, Konecny, Lindblom and just about any other young player. It was Vigneault who convinced Schmuck to make the offseason moves that he made. They both need to be held accountable. Actually, all of upper management, the senior advisors, medical staff, etc.... should have been sent packing. Don't kid yourself, the country club and their lackey are in full on self preservation now. And as long as it's like that, any smart coach is going to stay away. I warned you that this was going to happen. I warned everyone and I also warned everyone that Ristolainen was going to be failure. 

ok. So its not the coach or players, its management?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I can't even name every assistant going back to '13, much less label them all "worthless."

Am I mistaken, were you the one in the other thread saying the position coaches are to blame for the regression of players?

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!! Mansgement being Holmgren and Scott.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I want a guy who isn't afraid to hold players accountable, regardless of contract value and status. I also want a guy who knows HOW to develop players once they get to the NHL. There seems to be a fallacy that once a young player is in the NHL that their development is done and they're a finished product. That's not even close to true. Development has to be a must. More important, I want a coach that KNOWS what role is best for said player. For instance, Frost shouldn't be on a line with MacEwen and Willman. He should be playing with other skilled players and that he's still a work in progress. Usage must matter with the next head coach 

do you have someone in mind?

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Honestly.....looking back at everyone's posts and POV and even analyzing my own thoughts and opinions, I think it a combination of all three in varying amounts.

You have a FO who still believes it is the 1980's and loves the good ol' boys club.

You have coaches who may or may not be right for this team and are just to thick headed to adjust to the new NHL

Finally you have players who some are underachieving and just plain old are not held accountable to their actions on the ice.

In reality a perfect storm for suckage.  Everyone makes valid points regardless if you believe it is all on the players / coaches / FO (management).

Fact of the matter is the Flyers are wretched to watch right now and it will take a bloody miracle to right this ship.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Honestly.....looking back at everyone's posts and POV and even analyzing my own thoughts and opinions, I think it a combination of all three in varying amounts.

You have a FO who still believes it is the 1980's and loves the good ol' boys club.

You have coaches who may or may not be right for this team and are just to thick headed to adjust to the new NHL

Finally you have players who some are underachieving and just plain old are not held accountable to their actions on the ice.

In reality a perfect storm for suckage.  Everyone makes valid points regardless if you believe it is all on the players / coaches / FO (management).

Fact of the matter is the Flyers are wretched to watch right now and it will take a bloody miracle to right this ship.

:PostAward4:

...that said, I still think I'm right

Edited by CoachX

Just now, CoachX said:

do you have someone in mind?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd hope that one of Benoit Groulx, Kris Knoblauch or Karl Taylor would be the guys I'd look at. Every one of them have a strong development background, complete with accountability. Knoblauch should have been the best coach of the phantoms when Hextall initially hired him, but he made him one of Dave Hakstol's assistants, who Dave never bothered listening to.

Look at those guys and look at the jobs they've done. Groulx has sent a number of non first round picks up to Tampa Bay that have gone on to be superb contributors to Tampa Bay's multiple cup runs. 

Knoblauch has turned around the Rangers farm team in Hartford and has also developed a number of Yong players currently in New York. 

Taylor has also done the same with Nashville and with an added bonus that he's also helped develop goaltenders.

That's what the Flyers need. They also need someone like that in Lehigh Valley. 

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I mean, Vigneault has been to two Cup Finals in the new CBA era.

What sort of "adjustments" was he to make to get this current roster "over the hump"?

• Like 1

Just now, radoran said:

What sort of "adjustments" was he to make to get this current roster "over the hump"?

Puck support would be a great place to start. Using players in appropriate roles is another. 

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd hope that one of Benoit Groulx, Kris Knoblauch or Karl Taylor would be the guys I'd look at. Every one of them have a strong development background, complete with accountability. Knoblauch should have been the best coach of the phantoms when Hextall initially hired him, but he made him one of Dave Hakstol's assistants, who Dave never bothered listening to.

Look at those guys and look at the jobs they've done. Groulx has sent a number of non first round picks up to Tampa Bay that have gone on to be superb contributors to Tampa Bay's multiple cup runs. 

Knoblauch has turned around the Rangers farm team in Hartford and has also developed a number of Yong players currently in New York. 

Taylor has also done the same with Nashville and with an added bonus that he's also helped develop goaltenders.

That's what the Flyers need. They also need someone like that in Lehigh Valley. 

Do any of those guys have HC experience at the NHL level? Have they ever won anything?

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Astute points ... maybe he just wasn't right for this team ....it happens.

I don't  have the answers and as far as "Adjustments"?  .... I really don't know....

• Like 1

Puck support would be a great place to start. Using players in appropriate roles is another. 

so you are 100% positive he didnt work on this in practice? The players didn't execute because he didn't teach them?

Just now, CoachX said:

so you are 100% positive he didnt work on this in practice? The players didn't execute because he didn't teach them?

Yeo pretty much admitted that and that was the first thing he wanted to work on in practices. Watch a game under Vigneault and then watch a game under Yeo. You'll see that when a player fires a puck into the opposition's defensive zone,  they aren't just turning around and leaving one guy high to do all the chasing. They're actually backing players up and when they do fire, they're now sitting bested between the blue line and the face-off circles. They're providing much needed support from before. Player usage is still an issue. Provorov shouldn't see any power play time at all, but still is. With that being said, Cam York has been getting power play time. Too bad he's playing along side Yandle though....

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Astute points ... maybe he just wasn't right for this team ....it happens.

I don't  have the answers and as far as "Adjustments"?  .... I really don't know....

There is no coach “right” for this team. The players and executives, for the most part, got AV fired. The one self-inflicted wound for AV, was bringing Therrien with him to Philly.

• Like 2

Just now, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Yeah, I don't see an NHL head coach saying "don't support the puck" and putting players into roles they aren't suited to getting to two Cup Finals.

The thing about the Flyers is that they've never been good enough to be better than they are.

So what they apparently "need" to do is trade Giroux for a 20-something pick and a 2nd tier prospect, re-sign him, and a new coach will Change Everything.

With respect, I think you need to go back to your "rotten to the core" post to get to the heart of the matter.

Two of the coaches that "couldn't coach" in Philadelphia went on to a Cup Final in Nashville and a Cup Title in St. Louis.

So, from where I sit, it ain't "the coach" that's "the problem."

• Like 2

Yeo pretty much admitted that and that was the first thing he wanted to work on in practices. Watch a game under Vigneault and then watch a game under Yeo. You'll see that when a player fires a puck into the opposition's defensive zone,  they aren't just turning around and leaving one guy high to do all the chasing. They're actually backing players up and when they do fire, they're now sitting bested between the blue line and the face-off circles. They're providing much needed support from before. Player usage is still an issue. Provorov shouldn't see any power play time at all, but still is. With that being said, Cam York has been getting power play time. Too bad he's playing along side Yandle though....

so hows all that working out for them? what is it, 8 straight now? Yeah, Yeo is doing a good job cleaning up AV's mistakes

Just now, FD19372 said:

The one self-inflicted wound for AV, was bringing Therrien with him to Philly.

The Flyers actually had one of their more effective power plays in the past ten years under Therrien in the first year.

Bizarre, I know.

What stands out to me is that the PP looks remarkably like what it looked like in the six years prior to AV/Therrien coming on board.

Can anyone explain to me why Holmgren is where he is?

I've honestly never understood it. He had one good run as a coach but was a crap GM and seems to have failed upward. Never struck me as being a bright light on or off the ice so I just don't get it. I mean Clarke I understand. Like it or not he brought the cup to Philly so he walks on water for life, fair enough, just give him a comfy chair in the corner and nod politely when he speaks and then make the real decisions when he goes golfing, but Holmgren? Why?????