Head Coach - Was AV "really" the problem?

CoachX

22 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

So you want a hard ass coach? I guess Tortorella's available.............

idk, I think this group of players just doesn't work and needs to be broken up. It needs a tear down, a clear rebuild direction that they stick to, and a solid identity (whatever that is). 

Ultimately FA over paying and poor drafting will kill any franchise. remember when everybody was saying the Flyers had a stuffed full prospect cupboard and the future was bright? Funny how fast that can all just go poof.

Not Tortorella fan at all, but he just might be what this team needs.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Management, yes. Coaching, yes.

One big problem is a complete lack of chemistry, we do not have one long term ,consistent line that has that sixth sense on the ice , when you know where your linemates are and you work with precision. We don’t score any creative goals, we can’t complete simple passes, every goal is off a broken play or scrum. We also do not have one solid defensive pair that we can count on. I have seen better chemistry in pick up street hockey. We just draft  or trade for players with no thought of chemistry and no thought of where they might fit with our current players.

The best move we made was trading Jake for Atkinson. We filled a glaring need. We needed a right handed shoot first guy and we finally traded for one but it was 10 years too late. Our next GM has to have a plan and draft/trade for players who will complement the players we have . We need a balance of speed, finesse and wingers who can win battles. If you have a guy who is weak defensively, then his offensive output has to offset his deficiencies.  

For example, Sanheim loses a lot of battles and makes too many defensive mistakes, but if he was consistently creating scoring chances and working the PP, he would be worth keeping. This guy has a lot of skill and was an offensive dynamo in juniors, he has only shown flashes of that in the NHL. He should be a PP QB  and scoring 40 points at this point in his career.Maybe if he was teamed with a defensive stalwart, then he might reach his potential. We need a GM who will build a proper team and a coach who can put together the right combination of players. Our PP has been horrible for 10 years and our pucks skills/shootout is the worst since the inception of the shootout.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Holmgren? Why?????

Maybe he knows secrets.....dark secrets even....think back to them dry island days even.

Think about their two stars they traded out of town real quickly? But why??? Hhhhhmmm.

Always thought something was fishy about all that. I think Paul knows a lot or is responsible for a lot and why he has been protected ie blackmailing them.

Keep stuff from being reopened....never know.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe he knows secrets.....dark secrets even....think back to them dry island days even.

Think about their two stars they traded out of town real quickly? But why??? Hhhhhmmm.

Always thought something was fishy about all that. I think Paul knows a lot or is responsible for a lot and why he has been protected ie blackmailing them.

You talking Richards and Carter?

Yeah I thought there was more to that story too.

1 minute ago, Fizz said:

Yep two of my favorite Flyers drafted and not happy about their exit...

...which has been well discussed here.

:rage:

1 hour ago, Fizz said:

There is a lot more to that story ..... years ago, before it became primarily a Fantasy Hockey website, DobberHockey had a forum dedicated to each team outside of fantasy hockey.  Anyway there was a poster there who supposedly was in the know and posted some juicy tidbits about both Carter and Richards in the days leading up to the trade and after.  The poster quickly deleted many of the comments.  I posted screen shots back on the old Philly.com Flyers Forum site (now defunct for several years now) regarding some of the posts.  From what I remember there was definitely a lot going on being the scenes .....   Damn I wished I saved those screen shots .....

Honestly,IMHO, this team really has never been the same since Richards and Carter were both ceremoniously traded on the same day ....  I believe, and it is just my pure speculation, that there is a lot of stink in the dark corners of this OR-GAN-IZATION which continues to filter through to this day.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess Homer knew about the partying that Carter and Richards were doing and their huge , long term contracts were kicking in and he saw the writing on the wall and unloaded them. Richards got addicted to pain killers after having shoulder surgery and then he busted at the border with a bunch of Oxys, he was washed up at 28. So I guess he figured Carter might become a problem too and decided to dump them both. No one was better than Richards in the Boston playoffs series but after 2010, he went downhill fast.

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I guess Homer knew about the partying that Carter and Richards were doing and their huge , long term contracts were kicking in and he saw the writing on the wall and unloaded them.

I'm guessing he wasn't aware of this apparently chronic, debilitating problem BEFORE he signed them to that contract?

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Richards got addicted to pain killers after having shoulder surgery

Would that be the surgery and rehab overseen by... The Flyers?

Richards played basically an entire season with two bum shoulders. Not sure how he got through it WITHOUT pain killers

To me, these again represent failures of the organization* more than the players...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm guessing he wasn't aware of this apparently chronic, debilitating problem BEFORE he signed them to that contract?

Richards played basically an entire season with two bum shoulders. Not sure how he got through it WITHOUT pain killers

To me, these again represent failures of the organization* more than the players...

Yes it’s that same crack medical staff that we have today..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

I’m sure they knew he was on pain killers after the surgery but I guess after he was unable to stop using them, Homer made the move. I like Richards a lot but  in hindsight Homer made the right move since getting traded and winning the cup didn’t stop Richards from abusing pills and he was out of the league at 28.

21 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

he saw the writing on the wall and unloaded them.

[Inside Homer's brain]

These two clowns could probably win a couple cups i can't be upstaged by some clowns...

....worked wonders too.

Literally set them back a decade...always heard that saying never knew what it meant.....till now.

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Richards got addicted to pain killers after having shoulder surgery and then he busted at the border with a bunch of Oxys

Trust me buddy take it from someone who has lost a good bit of people to pharmacy cocktails you don't just wake up one morning in Mike's state....that is from years of other who are suppose to love you letting you slowly slide into the gutter more likely for their sake....a travesty.

That move set them back the decade we are in. Such is life you have to live and die by your choices.

That goes for every man woman and child on this earth. Well the Flyers Captained by Giroux lead them right to where we are the abyss.

Only way out is up...

💯

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

For example, Sanheim loses a lot of battles and makes too many defensive mistakes, but if he was consistently creating scoring chances and working the PP, he would be worth keeping. This guy has a lot of skill and was an offensive dynamo in juniors, he has only shown flashes of that in the NHL. He should be a PP QB  and scoring 40 points at this point in his career.Maybe if he was teamed with a defensive stalwart, then he might reach his potential. We need a GM who will build a proper team and a coach who can put together the right combination of players. Our PP has been horrible for 10 years and our pucks skills/shootout is the worst since the inception of the shootout.

And once again, that's a development problem with Sanheim. Rather than embrace what he does well and enhance it, they decided to ignore that side of his game and focus on the defensive play. The easiest thing they could have done was let him loose and let him skate with the puck and do all sorts of things, but that was completely coached out of him. I just think of what a coach could do with him. I mean, worst case scenario, you turn him into a Jay Bouwmeester type who can skate like the wind, be smart defensively, but never turn into a scorer. 

My concern is Provorov and just how much his play has digressed. It's absolutely scary how lost he looks out there. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

49 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I guess Homer knew about the partying that Carter and Richards were doing and their huge , long term contracts were kicking in and he saw the writing on the wall and unloaded them. Richards got addicted to pain killers after having shoulder surgery and then he busted at the border with a bunch of Oxys, he was washed up at 28. So I guess he figured Carter might become a problem too and decided to dump them both. No one was better than Richards in the Boston playoffs series but after 2010, he went downhill fast.

Carter was nowhere near the partier that Richards or Upshall or Lupul were. Yes, he went out at night, but he wasn't a big partier. I only know this because I worked with Jeff's mom at a construction company and mom was in Philadelphia every other week. Plus, Jeff was in PHENOMENAL shape. Boozing it up all the time and pill popping and all that, he wouldn't be in the shape he was in if that were the case. I know one of the stories was that the old towne crew showed up to practice hung over, but I can say with absolute certainty that it wasn't Carter. I should also mention that his workout routine was borderline Jerry Rice crazy and you can't workout like that if you're partying all the time.

23 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I’m sure they knew he was on pain killers after the surgery but I guess after he was unable to stop using them, Homer made the move. I like Richards a lot but  in hindsight Homer made the right move since getting traded and winning the cup didn’t stop Richards from abusing pills and he was out of the league at 28.

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Trust me buddy take it from someone who has lost a good bit of people to pharmacy cocktails you don't just wake up one morning in Mike's state....that is from years of other who are suppose to love you letting you slowly slide into the gutter more likely for their sake....a travesty.

That move set them back the decade we are in. Such is life you have to live and die by your choices.

That goes for every man woman and child on this earth. Well the Flyers Captained by Giroux lead them right to where we are the abyss.

Only way out is up...

💯

As a healthcare worker and practicing pharmacist for over 30+, we, the healthcare community have only ourselves to blame for the Opoid Crisis that now inhabits our communities. 

During the 1990's, pain scores were considered the 5th vital sign.  Hospital scores were based on patient satisfaction scores which in turn dealt with the amount of pain one was on during a hospital stay.  At the time I was a community pharmacist for Rite Aid / Eckard / and Walgreen's and during those years the amount of indiscriminate use of narcotic medications prescribed was out of control.  It was not unusual to see 90 day supply of OxyContin (sustained release Oxycodone) written for non-cancerous patients.  After all you you had patients in pain and PBM's (Pharmacy Benefit Managers) willing to pay/cover 90 day supply of the these types of medications so as to make it cheaper and not inconvenience patients by making them return to their doctor month after month.

Sadly over the course of this time, tens of thousands of patients became addicted to opioid medications such as Oxycodone (OxyIR / OxyContin) and Hydrocodone (Hycet / Lortab / Vicodin).

Over the past decade great strides have been made to help fraudulent prescriptions from being obtained by the use of central tracking data bases to track patient prescription history even when using different pharmacies, encrypted electronic prescriptions, smaller day supply of opioid medications, the use of non-narcotic  medications such as NSAIDS, Tylenol, and ERAS (Enhanced Recovery After Surgery) protocols in hospitals and patient narcotic agreements with providers.

Is it perfect ....no, but the medical community as a whole has taken great strides in trying to keep patients from becoming addicted to narcotics.  Could some of these preventative measures have helped the likes of Mike Richards?  I dunno.  I would certainly hope so.

In the end it was Richards who led himself down this hole and eventually traded from the Flyers .....

As I mentioned above, the day that both Carter and Richards were traded, forever changed the face of this franchise.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

9 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

As a healthcare worker and practicing pharmacist for over 30+, we, the healthcare community have only ourselves to blame for the Opoid Crisis that now inhabits our communities. 

During the 1990's, pain scores were considered the 5th vital sign.  Hospital scores were based on patient satisfaction scores which in turn dealt with the amount of pain one was on during a hospital stay.  At the time I was a community pharmacist for Rite Aid / Eckard / and Walgreen's and during those years the amount of indiscriminate use of narcotic medications prescribed was out of control.  It was not unusual to see 90 day supply of OxyContin (sustained release Oxycodone) written for non-cancerous patients.  After all you you had patients in pain and PBM's (Pharmacy Benefit Managers) willing to pay/cover 90 day supply of the these types of medications so as to make it cheaper and not inconvenience patients by making them return to their doctor month after month.

Sadly over the course of this time, tens of thousands of patients became addicted to opioid medications such as Oxycodone (OxyIR / OxyContin) and Hydrocodone (Hycet / Lortab / Vicodin).

Over the past decade great strides have been made to help fraudulent prescriptions from being obtained by the use of central tracking data bases to track patient prescription history even when using different pharmacies, encrypted electronic prescriptions, smaller day supply of opioid medications, the use of non-narcotic  medications such as NSAIDS, Tylenol, and ERAS (Enhanced Recovery After Surgery) protocols in hospitals and patient narcotic agreements with providers.

Is it perfect ....no, but the medical community as a whole has taken great strides in trying to keep patients from becoming addicted to narcotics.  Could some of these preventative measures have helped the likes of Mike Richards?  I dunno.  I would certainly hope so.

In the end it was Richards who led himself down this hole and eventually traded from the Flyers .....

As I mentioned above, the day that both Carter and Richards were traded, forever changed the face of this franchise.

There is an incredible movie called dope sick and it fully details how the scumbags at Perdue Pharma  were in bed with the FDA and politicians and got half the country addicted to OxyContin. You cannot even imagine the immoral parasites that these big pharma companies are.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Yes it did and a lot of old folks who trusted their doctors and what they prescribed them lost a lot up to and including in many of them their lives.

Some survived some did not and also left behind many to put together the pieces. A sad ending.

This has damaged the Dr. client trust in many for ever and it may be for the best. Some are woke.

Negligence from the top down....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep two of my favorite Flyers drafted and not happy about their exit...

...which has been well discussed here.

:rage:

Yeah I was pi$$ed too, and to make it worse the both wan a cup with LA.

• Like 1