Head Coach - Was AV "really" the problem?

CoachX

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

After an entire post about the liability of the medical community you end with this

yes ... addiction is hard.  Even if the medical community could be the root cause, it takes the individual to admit they have a problem and seek help .....  We don't know how if his friends and family intervened or tried to intervene.   Ultimately it is up to the individual to seek help if they want to ....   If he denied any help, then yes it is on him .....we will never know  if that is true or not.  

I'm ok sticking with my original statement .......

But I do appreciate you questioning it .......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

After an entire post about the liability of the medical community you end with this 🙄

Yes, "Richards" had the problem.

Called "the next Bobby Clarke" even before being drafted by the Flyers. Thrust into the captain's role too early. Given essentially a lifetime contract. Team expected him to play injured an entire season. To foster his recovery he was given pain medication he was likely already dependent on to play through - this still being of the "pills like candy" era that Lehner recently referenced.

And all of this under the "watchful eye" of Clarke and Homer. Having made him the face of the franchise, they unceremoniously ship him out of town, declare they "won the trades" and have one playoff round win in ten years...

Does Richards bear some culpability? Sure. He's also a guy in his early 20s living a dream being lauded by childhood heroes who are in charge of a medical staff giving them opiates...

All valid statements ...you are not wrong ......   lots of blame to go around here .......

At this point I think I'd rather talk about drugs than the Flyers. At least drugs make you feel good for awhile.

edit: btw does anyone know what Mike Richards is doing these days - or how he's doing? I googled him but very little comes up that isn't from his last year in LA. I can't even find out if he was ever convicted, what sentence he got etc.

I hope the guy is okay. He was, he still is one my favorite Flyers of all time.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

16 hours ago, pilldoc said:

If he denied any help, then yes it is on him .....we will never know  if that is true or not.  

it's "on him" but that's what addicts do, deny they even need help, fight it every step of the way until hopefully they decide for themselves that enough is enough.

18 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

it's "on him" but that's what addicts do, deny they even need help, fight it every step of the way until hopefully they decide for themselves that enough is enough.

At the end of the 2009 season, he had surgery on both shoulders, having played the whole season with both injured. I'll speculate he was on some painkillers at this time and was given painkillers following surgery.

He starts the 09-10 season with five goals in three games, ultimately finishing with 31 goals, 62 points, and a ride to the Cup Final in which he was a point per game player.

Comes back in 10-11 with another 60+ point season, 7 points in 11 games, lost in the second round.

Where exactly is the "red flag" for him that there's "a problem"? There are addicts that take years when they are destitute to come to the realization that they have an addiction. He's a productive hockey player, making millions of dollars, captain of one of the top franchises in the league, and had been to a Cup Final the year before. And by many accounts, the culture of the league (and, as it happens, society in general) was heavily reliant on painkillers.

Again, he has some culpability, but I just reject the notion that it's all "his fault."

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

Putting aside that Mike Richards when on a downward spiral, if I recall, here in forum land, there were numerous criticisms of him and Carter, and the rest of the center city party crowd. A lot a resemblance to what is occurring now with giroux and this current group of underachievers. Had he and Carte not won in LA, I suspect there wouldn't be alt of remorse here.

Any chance we can get back on topic? Or has that discussion ran its course?

31 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Right. I agree and appreciate your post. What I don't get is why you quoted what I wrote about addicts in general.

I think it is related to this:

There are addicts that take years when they are destitute to come to the realization that they have an addiction.

Your post was about addicts "deciding for themselves" that "enough is enough."

My point would be that Richards wasn't really at a point where "enough was enough" and that he didn't really reach that point until he was caught crossing the border.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Any chance we can get back on topic?

This could be my fault for the Richards side track....i had a reason for bringing it up i'll have to look back to what satrted it....but as far as your other question???

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Or has that discussion ran its course?

I'll say it has for me AV is gone nothing i need to say about that water under the bridge maybe they just need to find new water for under the bridge.

So Yeo needs to go to because they are just wasting time further damaging the yoofs.

Best thing they can do is get this team a group rate with a therapist this offseason all to talk about.

I'm sure AV is glad he can wash his hands of this too.

Won't be long till Tocchet is here to save the day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Won't be long till Tocchet is here to save the day.

I hope not. That is a wash, rinse, repeat, good ol boy, move if I ever saw one.

If the Flyers need a rebuild, they need an outside coach with a successful record to get it done. I dunno, maybe Tortorella would work here for now

They also need to gut the roster, and not that crapola manner from last offseason

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

That is a wash, rinse, repeat, good ol boy, move if I ever saw one.

Yep this is the closest they can get to brining Berube back as they can get. I feel it in my bones.

Who else is going to want to tackle this group when you look at all the heads impaled before you??

download.jpg.ad9523b6925ab61da01341a8f7da906f.jpg

So Tocchet is your man....gruesome i know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe he knows secrets.....dark secrets even....think back to them dry island days even.

Think about their two stars they traded out of town real quickly? But why??? Hhhhhmmm.

Always thought something was fishy about all that. I think Paul knows a lot or is responsible for a lot and why he has been protected ie blackmailing them.

Keep stuff from being reopened....never know.

@CoachX

So this was were it went off the rails in my respnse. I'm so proud. Because it led to dry Island.

Right where i was leading intentionally i guess when it gets back to Homer.....and AV - some how.

:beer:

My work here is done.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If the Flyers need a rebuild, they need an outside coach with a successful record to get it done. I dunno, maybe Tortorella would work here for now

They also need to gut the roster, and not that crapola manner from last offseason

Tortorella isn't a guy I'd bring in for a rebuild. He's a finisher on that when you have the talent and they're done the development aspect and they're ready to compete for a Stanley Cup, then you bring him in. He's the 'hammer' in that he gets everyone to pay attention to the finer details. With that being said, he's also got a short shelf life in that players eventually tune him out. I think Babcock would be a better guy to get a team over the hump. 

39 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If they do get Tocchet , I’m sure he won’t allow any quitters on his team and I also don’t think he will build a team of tinkerbelles that get pushed around. I think he will demand accountability. As far as development , that’s more on the Phantoms coaching staff , they have to build chemistry among the players and work on fundamentals, that way the guys are properly ready for the NHL. We supposedly have a skills coach for the Flyers, he needs to go, they can’t complete a pass and their puck skills are pathetic.

Why would tocchet be any tougher or hold players more accountable than AV did?

Being a tough bastard is not a reason to hire a coach. Neither is the fa t you were a significant player for past Flyer teams. We don't need nostalgia. We've had, STILL HAVE, enough of that

• Like 2