Game 38: Flyers at Islanders; 1/17/22 @ 7:30 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The Islanders are heavy favorites (-194).  We start Jones.  Lineup is further down in the thread.  

The Isle are 6-3-1 over their last 10 and playing excellent defense with high save percentage:  

https://www.espn.com/nhl/preview/_/gameId/401349818

I wonder if Barzal and Lee do their usual damage?  I also wonder if the Flyers can ever score first?  Teams that score first in the NHL win 2/3rds of the games.  We have near zero ability to get a lead when trailing.  We can't sleep the first 10 minutes and expect to win.  

Edited by Howie58

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I wonder if Barzal and Lee do their usual damage? 

Ha yeah that's probably a given. Flyers' team D is as weak and sloppy as it's ever been. Anders Lee is back playing well, Pageau always seems to bother the Flyers, Brock Nelson too. Odds are Eight In A Row is a-coming tomorrow night.

I'll be tuning in just to their new arena.

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 38: Flyers at Islanders; 1/17/22 @ 7:30 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

Here is the lineup:

Projected Flyers lines:

Joel Farabee—Claude Giroux—Cam Atkinson
Oskar Lindblom—Scott Laughton—Travis Konecny
James van Riemsdyk—Kevin Hayes—Gerald Mayhew
Morgan Frost—Connor Bunnaman—Zack MacEwen

Ivan Provorov—Travis Sanheim
Cam York—Justin Braun
Keith Yandle—Rasmus Ristolainen

Martin Jones
(Carter Hart)

We are starting Martin Jones.  FYI, the Flyers have the highest percentage of high danger shots in the league.  The Isles are in the middle.  Also, our statistical probability of making the playoffs is under 1 percent.  

We had trouble with this team in the bubble with Niskanen in the lineup.  Trotz's system is boring. But it works against us.  Our D cannot contain the likes of Beauvillier, Martin, et. al.  Things are bad on the offensive side as well.  Our PP is inept.  

I work tomorrow night and don't have ESPN+.  That is a double blessing.  I may need to stay away.  It is alienating.  Seriously.  I never thought watching a Flyers game would be alienating.  2006-07 was bad but that bunch was a bumbling mix and losing was understandable.  This is different and worse.  

Standing around in front of Jones, literallly standing there watching the Isles do whatever they want. Unreal. Forget about fighting for position they don't even try to lift sticks. On Beauvilier's goal nobody touched him or his stick. Farabee fanned on the clear and that was the sum total of the Flyers' effort on that goal. And the offense is even worse.

It's no wonder they keep losing they don't put any work into doing their job.

• Like 2

we're about to hit our second of what could be several 10-game losing streaks this season. this team really has no fight left as a group. their attitude sucks and the mistakes compound nightly with interest. After their lost mentality and directionless skating, their PP is the worst thing I've ever seen on ice.

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

we're about to hit our second of what could be several 10-game losing streaks this season. this team really has no fight left as a group. their attitude sucks and the mistakes compound nightly with interest. After their lost mentality and directionless skating, their PP is the worst thing I've ever seen on ice.

On a good note, the Isles have 7 games in hand and are right on our tails.  Hopefully in a few days we drop below NYI and NJ, to a #6 draft pick and a shot at the lottery.  

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

You're right. that is a good note. here's the bad note that inevitably comes with it: we draft another center Daigle 3.0/ Patrick 2.0

Yes that is true , they have to really hit a home run with this pick. Hopefully we will have a new GM and scouting dept  for the draft. We also need some luck , some of the better highly skilled players like Pastranuk and Barzal were later picks that ended up much better than most guys who were rated higher. So far we have not had much luck in picking great players as well as lots of injuries to our top picks as well as incompetent player development . If you recall the year we got Giroux , Clarke was set to pick the dman  Bob Sanguenetti, who was a total flop,but luckily the Rangers took him and we took Giroux. We got real lucky the Rangers took the lemon we wanted. That was probably the last lucky break we got in the draft. Although I do like the Tyson Foerester pick by Shmuck Fletcher.

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Fletcher better be gone by draft...otherwise we end up with Risto 2.0 with our 1st and next years 1st and 2nd.

Or worse, are there anymore of Hayes buddies that aren't on the Flyers yet?

Speaking of Hayes , he is out again 4-6 weeks. Let the fire sale begin, start the tanking process and sell everything at the deadline.