Faceoffs

Guest flyercanuck

Who was the Flyers last Faceoff Beast? Aside from Carter, I cannot remember one for the last 5 years or so. Brindy was good, Premeau?

Wow... Blocker is right, they can get an old Salt in there to teach these kids how to win a damn faceoff

I missed the Brindy and Lindros days, they were the one of the best at FO. These guys need to practice it every darn day, even on game days. We rarely score off of faceoffs anymore. Seeing other teams do it to us more often and it pisses me off.

"Wow... Blocker is right"

Jeez...Don't act so surprised.

That came out wrong Blocker.

It was supposed to be like WOW....(the Flyers are bad at faceoffs)...... Blocker is right in the respect of getting somebody to teach these kids how to take a draw.

Hey their (Flyers) new thing is just falling on the puck during the faceoff.

I missed the Brindy and Lindros days, they were the one of the best at FO. These guys need to practice it every darn day, even on game days. We rarely score off of faceoffs anymore. Seeing other teams do it to us more often and it pisses me off.

Maybe lindros can hang around for a few weeks after the WC... Have a face off school?

Only one trade from the Sharks is mentioned above, and it was the one where we traded them the pick that gave them Joe Pavelski and eventually led to Oskars Bartulis.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2011/7/28/2302112/the-flyers-current-roster-history

While we're at it, then, this next chart is simply a list of notable active players taken since 1996 with picks that were at some point owned by the Flyers--not necessarily ones that played into the roster today, but ones we dealt regardless. ("Original Pick?" means whether or not the pick was one that belonged to the Flyers from the start or not.)

wMETZ_medium.png

Has anyone on our team ever taken one before. I didn't think we could be worse than last year, but it sure looks like we are. WTF?

Apparently the answer is "No, nobody in the O&B can win draws, not individually and not as a team."

We're dead fkng last in the NHL! ****. I knew we were bad but I didn't realize we were bringing up the rear. 30th out of 30 teams in FO%. That's embarrassing.

You have to factor in Briere's absense for a few games, which brough the overall faceoff winning % down.

But let's face it: we knew before the season even started that we were getting weak at center position and faceoffs are no exception. That's why I was sort of hoping for Jason Arnott. Not sure for how much he signed with the Blues. The guy can still play.

It never ceases to amaze me how Homer can fixate on one thing that needs an obvious improvement but do it at the expense of 100 other things...

would've been nice to snag Konopka who the Sens got for a song - $700K.

But why are we so bad? And we seem to specialize in losing them clean. Drives me insane. We get a key PP opportunity and spend the first 20 chasing the puck the length of the ice.

Why aren't guys scrambling harder on the draws? They're not - obviously. If it was a bad stretch of games, or limited to a few guys fine. But the Flyers have been a mediocre (at best) FO team the past few years and nobody can figure out why... One of the best in the business - ever - still goes into the office every day...I remember hearing he worked with some of the guys on the ice a few years ago...

I know winning faceoffs is important part of the game, especially in the playoffs when the games are tighter but if you look at it from a stats point of view its not that bad eventhough the Flyers are last in the league with 46% winning percentage. The first team in this category is Boston with 53% but look where Boston is in the standings. Plus that difference of first to last is 7% which in a game translates to 5-10 more faceoff wins.

Anyway, the frustration after a game like the one with Buffalo is totaly justified.

yah that's a good point - the difference in the numbers, the percentages is never very much. OTOH those 5-10 wins translate into precious minutes of lost possession time, especially on the PP where we're forced to go the length of the ice to retrieve the puck.