I thought Bryz played pretty good last night

Guest KnucklesNilan

Only problem is, the guy on the other end played alot better.. and that's exaclty what the Flyers needed from their goaltending in some recent past games and obviously moving forward.

Sure we peppered Nabokov with 40+ shots, but alot of those were what some would call, routine saves... the power play was terrible. but give credit to the Isles as they did block alot of shots and passing lanes..

I know the Flyers have a couple of nice rookies in their lineup, but maybe its time to obtain some veterans as well?

@KnucklesNilan

Last night was one of those games that just happens. It happens to every team, in every sport no matter what. Sometimes things don't go your way and it just won't change no matter how hard you try.

If Bryz played like that all year there wouldn't be any complaints. The Flyers have scored the 173 goals this season which ranks #2 in the league behind Boston. They aren't going to be shutout to often.

What I would be concerned with is the points that have been dropped in the SO. The Flyers are 1-5. That's 4pts which is exactly how many point the Rangers are ahead of the Flyers. (Although the Rangers have 2 games in hand)

I agree that Bryz had a great game. Unfortunately his lack of ability in the shootout will be what most fans will linger on. Can we just swap in Bob for the shootout?

Last night's loss is mostly on the offense IMO. They shouldn't have been shutout. There were a few times in the game they could have scored but either fanned on pucks or shot it wide.

Also did anyone else find it odd that they tried Simmonds out on the shootout again? Also why place him ahead of Giroux? I just don't understand our shootout lineup this year. Why not try Read or Coots?

I know the Flyers have a couple of nice rookies in their lineup, but maybe its time to obtain some veterans as well?

Because trading away youth for veterans has always worked so well for the Flyers in the past?

Edited by JackStraw

Because trading away youth for veterans has always worked so well for the Flyers in the past?

Well, I never said trade, but I guess that's how a team would ultimately obtain a true, solid vet. Again, I'm not saying the Flyers should do it.. I've just run out of thoughts on how to tighten the lineup just a little bit more than it is.

I think the team should find another goal scorer for Jagr to feed. The Giroux-Hartnell-Jags line has no doubt slowed down a ton, so maybe its time to mix it up. The only other guy I can see meshing with Jags is possibly Voracek... maybe Briere?

Also did anyone else find it odd that they tried Simmonds out on the shootout again? Also why place him ahead of Giroux? I just don't understand our shootout lineup this year. Why not try Read or Coots?

It is unconscionable that Giroux does not get a crack at that shootout last night. Your better shooters need to go first or second. You can't wait and hope to get a goal from someone else in hopes that your best clinches it. I would have went Giroux, Briere, Schenn last night.

I don't think he played well last night...Here's why:

The Flyers played VERY safe hockey in their own end last night. It's obvious they realize their shortcomings and are trying to let Bryz get confidence back by not allowing any really good chances. I have been a Bryz apologist all year, but I'm beginning to lose confidence that he will get it together. Granted, Nabakov was rediculous last night and we deserved a W, but Bryz did very little to deserve a SO. People may disagree, but I didn't see any huge saves from him last night...Those saves were all at the other end of the ice. Shoot outs suck and I'm not a fan of them, but when Bryz is finally called upon to make some key saves he blows it. If he was truly "in the zone" enough to earn a SO he would have had a more respectable showing in the shoot out. I would like to see Bryz start against Toronto and Bob vs. NYR.

I wasn't happy after last night's game because I felt a late goal coming any minute, especially on the PP in the final minutes. Flyers fans just have to keep thinking that hopefully this year we will get hot at the right time and ride that through the playoffs.

It is unconscionable that Giroux does not get a crack at that shootout last night. Your better shooters need to go first or second. You can't wait and hope to get a goal from someone else in hopes that your best clinches it. I would have went Giroux, Briere, Schenn last night.

Can't agree more. I was throughly confused when I saw Simmonds lumbering down the ice instead of Giroux.

I agree that Bryz had a great game. Unfortunately his lack of ability in the shootout will be what most fans will linger on. Can we just swap in Bob for the shootout?

Last night's loss is mostly on the offense IMO. They shouldn't have been shutout. There were a few times in the game they could have scored but either fanned on pucks or shot it wide.

Yeah Bryz has struggled in the SO but don't forget the Flyers couldn't score in a whorehouse with a $100!!!!!

So much for a high powered offense!!!!

Well, I never said trade, but I guess that's how a team would ultimately obtain a true, solid vet. Again, I'm not saying the Flyers should do it.. I've just run out of thoughts on how to tighten the lineup just a little bit more than it is.

I think the team should find another goal scorer for Jagr to feed. The Giroux-Hartnell-Jags line has no doubt slowed down a ton, so maybe its time to mix it up. The only other guy I can see meshing with Jags is possibly Voracek... maybe Briere?

Well, there are always going to be ups and downs over the course of a season. I'm not too worried about the Giroux line, unless Jagr has more injury issues. I don't really see the Flyers as serious Cup contenders this year so I'd rather not see them fiddle with the roster much at this point. Let the young guys develop and get experience and then assess the team's needs after the season ends. Unless some kind of great deal falls into their lap.

You can, and I have seen it done before (rarely). But it risks injury to the new goaltender who is not very warm. I realize you were asking this somewhat rhetorically, of course.

Only problem is, the guy on the other end played alot better.. and that's exaclty what the Flyers needed from their goaltending in some recent past games and obviously moving forward.

Sure we peppered Nabokov with 40+ shots, but alot of those were what some would call, routine saves... the power play was terrible. but give credit to the Isles as they did block alot of shots and passing lanes..

BRYZ playes good sometimes. The problem is that he sometimes sucks terrible much.

And how many wide open nets has Roo missed the past two games alone? He's snakebitten, and pushing too hard trying to compensate. I think Giroux needs to sit down, relax, and recollect himself. Get back to enjoying hockey, and those pucks will practically put themselves in the back of the net.

@doom88

I agree. Giroux is trying to hard. You can see it on his face too. The first half of the season he was skating around smiling and burrying goals. Now he looks tense and he's either fanning on pucks or shooting them wide. He would do well to just relax (probably easier said than done).