Jeff Carter’s no-trade clause is no more

Guest Irishjim

jeff-carter.jpg?w=181

Jeff Carter doesn’t have a no-trade clause, according to what Eric Francis said on Hockey Night In Canada’s Hot Stove. That echoes what Columbus Dispatch’s writer Aaron Portzline tweeted Saturday evening. Carter would have had a no-trade clause had he remained with the Philadelphia Flyers, but it didn’t transfer over when the Blue Jackets acquired him over the summer.

That removes a potential wrinkle as

the Blue Jackets attempt to trade Carter, but the question remains: Who would take him? Carter’s turbulent and injury filled season might be just as good as a no-trade clause, especially seeing as whoever takes him will be committing to him through the 2021-22 season. That being said, he might turn his season around in a hurry if he can get away from the dead last Blue Jackets.

One thing appears to be certain: if Carter doesn’t get traded before the Feb. 27 trade deadline, it won’t be because he refused to leave Columbus.

If that is true, it's the 1st time I've ever heard of that....it was a term in his contract, how did it just go away? Unless the contract is worded such that the NTC is effective on this date..UNLESS the player is traded prior to that date? Although, after checking, Capgeek doesn't show a NTC....

Damn...if that piece of sh!t sucks his way out of Cbus into a great situation, I will hate him more than I do now...if that is possible.

@thegreatgazoo

"If that is true, it's the 1st time I've ever heard of that....it was a term in his contract, how did it just go away? Unless the contract is worded such that the NTC is effective on this date..UNLESS the player is traded prior to that date? Although, after checking, Capgeek doesn't show a NTC....

Damn...if that piece of **** sucks his way out of Cbus into a great situation, I will hate him more than I do now...if that is possible."

Great questions! I wondered the same thing. I looked at Richards and there is no NTC on the Kings site for him either!?

So, what I wonder is this: was there wording in there that if traded prior to invoking the NTC, the NTC is null an void. Additionally, might there possibly be SOME slight miracle wording in Breezy's contract that states if he WAS to waive his NTC that HIS NTC is null and void (wouldn't that be a god send??)?

Back to Carter- if this is true then he is an ever bigger puss than we suspected. If he KNOWS he is not locked in at Columbus for the rest of his prime career, why can't he suck it up for a year or two until he either plays his way out of town or Columbus has decided he is not the fit for their team.

I mean if Nash can suck it up- why can't carter?? If someone was paying me 5.2M a year, I would play in the South Pole for crying out loud!