Giroux Trade Talk

elmatus

He's not talking about it in media yet, but it looks an awful lot like G will be traded at the deadline. Also seems like there are a bunch of teams interested, and the starting point is a 1st, conditional 2nd (likely based on playoff run), and a solid prospect/young player. I've read him linked to talks with Colorado, NYR, the Bruins, Carolina, and Calgary so far. Likely others have inquired also, but that's a decent starting point.

Anyone have thoughts? Anyone from those teams we would want? The 1st rd pick from any of those would likely not be very high, so that's a bit of a wash, but are there any prospects or young players folks know about on those teams? I saw a rumour about Newhook from Colorado. I don't really know him, but that level of prospect seems to be what Fletch is looking to get.

Side note, it seems likely G would resign here again in the off season. This looks like a rental situation to bolster a playoff contender.

Edited by elmatus

This will be interesting, judging by Chuck's history. A frequent move in these kinds of trades is to take back salary. However, in the dysfunctional world of Flyers, albatross contracts with Hayes, Ellis and JVR make that moot. Newhook is a solid prospect, but picks from top 5 teams are less than likely to ever be top of the lineup players. Amassing as many picks as possible is the way to go, they then become negotiable assets to move up the draft board.

At the end of the day though, I have absolutely zero confidence in this management group to properly rebuild this team. They are stuck in 1995.

• Like 1

Colorado and Carolina don't have first round picks this year, so they're probably out the door. As for the Rangers, I'd certainly want more than just Kravtsov and a 1st. At the very least, I'd want a defenseman thrown in. I'd love Matthew Robertson to be added to the package. 

As for Boston, I'd take a package built around Jake Debrusk, Jack Studnicka and a 1st. I still think Debrusk can be something and Studnicka I'd partner with Frost and move Frost to the wrong to use his speed to the team's advantage. 

As for Calgary, Matthew Coronato, Jeremie Poirier and Calgary's 1st would be my asking price. Forget about Zary or Pelletier because they won't be included in any deal.

Now if Colorado were to step up to the plate, even without a first, Martin Kaut and Justin Barron plus a 2nd this year would be the starting point. 

And if Carolina steps up, then I'd want to see Ryan Suzuki, Scott Morrow and Carolina's 2nd. 

The reality is,  the Flyers won't end up with blue chippers and first round picks in the same package for Giroux. Now, with the packages that include first round picks, you aren't getting a blue chip prospect. You're getting good prospects with 2nd line or 2nd pairing upside. The value is in the 1st round pick. 

As for the packages without a 1st, that's where you're getting potential blue chippers (Barron, Suzuki).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I've read him linked to talks with Colorado, NYR, the Bruins, Carolina, and Calgary so far

Well i already know i would prefer to deal him to Colorado and Calgary being the second spot.

For two reason one is i hate those other teams and two think he has a better change with Colorado to win it all.

Now then maybe we can dream a little can we get Newhook back as part of this deal???

The down side of the Avs they don't have a 1st or 2nd in the upcoming draft.

So it will have to be picks and prospects back for Giroux but one thing for certain that they are serious is well to deal one of their home grown Captain...it is time.

I'd love to have Byram in return but i think they keep him so Newhook could be the guy.

Unless you start with something around Barron or Olausson would be ok too.

But hey something new to discuss....

:PopcornSmiley2:

20 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Colorado and Carolina don't have first round picks this year, so they're probably out the door.

I like a few guys in their farm system what we can work something out to help this go down.

And i'd rather trade him out West......but i do like the Canes so he would be my only spot back East.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

two think he has a better change with Colorado to win it all.

I honestly don't give the hind quarters of a rodent whether or not he wins a Cup somewhere else.

The only thing that matters to me is what's coming back the other way to make the Flyers better.

Giroux along for the ride as third fiddle on a Cup team doesn't do anything for me at all.

And the entire concept that they will send him away to get "his" Cup, then get a 20-something first and a second tier prospect so they can re-sign him to come back and be a mediocre leader again leading a mediocre roster just fills me with "lather rinse repeat" energy.

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

I honestly don't give the hind quarters of a rodent whether or not he wins a Cup somewhere else.

The only thing that matters to me is what's coming back the other way to make the Flyers better.

Giroux along for the ride as third fiddle on a Cup team doesn't do anything for me at all.

And the entire concept that they will send him away to get "his" Cup, then get a 20-something first and a second tier prospect so they can re-sign him to come back and be a mediocre leader again leading a mediocre roster just fills me with "lather rinse repeat" energy.

The main reason you do that deal, is to get back Newhook. I would rather have him than Jost. The other is obviously, if the Avs can move some players to bring him aboard, to win G a Cup. I would like to see him go somewhere where they actually have competent management. They can’t fit him under their cap, right now, however.

Edited by FD19372

I would also put Coots on the block, we are definitely going to suck for another 5 years and there is no point in keeping a 29year old player with a big contract . Hayes, JVR and Ellis are not tradable, so you have to sell the best asset we have, which is Coots.  By trading and not re-signing G and trading Coots we , gain multiple assets and free up over 15 million. There has to be a few up and coming teams that would want Coots. There are many teams that need a legit #2 center. If we can trade Atkinson , I would do that too. He has been our best player, but with his age and contract , he should also go. Then we have one more year of JVR and several years of Ellis and Hayes. With the emergence of York and Zamula playing well in the AHL, this could make either Provorov or Sanheim expendable. They also need to decide on Risto, he might be worth keeping if he gets a contract like Sanheim, he isn’t worth 6 million.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I see them the same - and at the same time i don't want him in the East the Flyers have enough demons they are trying to exorcise while dealing with seeing him multiple times next season.

Really otherwise i don't really care what happens after he leaves i hope he avoids serious injury but other than that buh bye it was nice. I need to see change...like JVR i'm afraid only the return will make me not like it.

Which me to the second part Avs have the parts in seek....i would like to start there.

The only conversation that peeks my interest these days is the rebuilding of this team and how it takes place just haven't given a fcuk in too long.

Joe Sakic is a very smart guy it won't be easy. But....

:PopcornSmiley2:

4 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Any team that gives up that much...it had best be a trade for and sign type of deal, esp if it's the bruins/flames.

I think if you're getting second tier prospects and not blue chippers, you can get away with dealing a 1st and those second tier guys and not hurt your depth. For instance, I look at the Calgary and Boston packages and the Flyers would be getting,  what I would consider,  second tier guys. They aren't getting a Fabian Lysell or a Connor Zary or a Jacob Pelletier. I think Boston or Calgary would be ecstatic to get Giroux if it didn't cost them one of those players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

With the emergence of York and Zamula playing well in the AHL, this could make either Provorov or Sanheim expendable.

I take a top four of this....

Provorov Ellis

York Zamula

Do something with Sanheim if you can but if only one goes make it Risto.

I do not want to have to hear about him for 4 more years Hayes is enough.

I pick up 2 mill of JVR salary and trade him for ________________________?

Giroux for ___________?

Coots for ___________?

But i can say i will watch for a year or two.

37 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Maybe chuck can get lucky and snag some of those sweet, sweet "future considerations" again.....

G should of retired a Flyer.

Sad.

Chances are good he’ll just come back in the off season as a FA. 

Sherwood(wing/center) - AHL, Newhook and a 2nd and 4th for Giroux and a 5th round pick. Colorado would need more cap space to do this through other deals, though, to fit G in.

Edited by FD19372

12 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think if you're getting second tier prospects and not blue chippers, you can get away with dealing a 1st and those second tier guys and not hurt your depth. For instance, I look at the Calgary and Boston packages and the Flyers would be getting,  what I would consider,  second tier guys. They aren't getting a Fabian Lysell or a Connor Zary or a Jacob Pelletier. I think Boston or Calgary would be ecstatic to get Giroux if it didn't cost them one of those players. 

Key word....."if"

And If, it's not for a rental....

I can't get excited about picks, prospects, trades etc. while Fletcher is still running the show. A great return for Giroux (or Couturier) would be a "can't miss" type right, a young player with a ton of promise and potential. Plus whatever...fine.

But why get excited about more prospects when the ones already here can't find their games and continue to struggle?

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I can't get excited about picks, prospects, trades etc. while Fletcher is still running the show. A great return for Giroux (or Couturier) would be a "can't miss" type right, a young player with a ton of promise and potential. Plus whatever...fine.

But why get excited about more prospects when the ones already here can't find their games and continue to struggle?

Because hopefully by the time they arrive here, the toxic mess known as the front office will be gone completely and a new coaching staff that knows, understands and builds their game plan on player development will be instilled. 

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

No insult intended BC - I'm laughing (even tho it's not funny) because I don't believe "the front office will be gone" anytime soon, certainly not in the next year. I guess it's always a possibility, people die, retire, whatever. But there's been no signs of that from Clarke, Holmz or Scott. I'm afraid the Flyers are stuck with the suits they have. But a new GM should be forthcoming...2 10-game losing streaks in the first half of the season after all...

edit: but I sure wish you turn out to be right!

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

No insult intended BC - I'm laughing (even tho it's not funny) because I don't believe "the front office will be gone" anytime soon, certainly not in the next year. I guess it's always a possibility, people die, retire, whatever. But there's been no signs of that from Clarke, Holmz or Scott. I'm afraid the Flyers are stuck with the suits they have. But a new GM should be forthcoming...2 10-game losing streaks in the first half of the season after all...

edit: but I sure wish you turn out to be right!

Oh I get it. Those three are like the plague and what's scary is that if Schmuck gets fired, you know that they'll replace him with Dean Lombardi and that Danny Briere will be made the assistant GM and Briere will be sucked into the toxic grips of Holmgren and Clarke and will have the "retool, not rebuild" mentality drilled and permanently pressed into his brain. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16