Giroux Trade Talk

elmatus

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Most guys we trade win the Cup elsewhere...Brindy, Williams,  Carter, Richard's, Sharp, Coburn, the Schenn brothers. Did I leave anyone out?

Simon Gagne!

My favorite!!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We have also been waiting for over 10 years just to have a contending team, forget about the Cup. How about just a team that isn't boring, plays hard and doesn't have yearly 10 game losing streaks . 

A this point, I'd be thrilled with a competitive hockey team as they had for 15 years from the Lindros trade onward.

Honestly, that 2010 "it's not a fluke" run to the Final papered over a lot of issues that the Flyers faced in the post-lockout era. They tried desperately to find ways around the cap that they insisted on imposing. "Retooling" around Timonen/Briere/Hartnell and adding them to the Dynamic Duo of Crater/Richards kept them somewhat competitive.

But from 05-06 to 11-12, the Flyers were 8-24 in rounds they were eliminated - including the 2-4 loss to the Blackhawks in 2010, swept by the Bruins and winning one game against the Pens and Devils (each).

Further, since the lockout they have one Division title and one second place finish (in the COVID-shortened season). And they followed up their lone playoff round win (accomplished against a team who, in "normal" times wouldn't have even made the playoffs) with what is looking like their first back-to-back miss of the playoffs since 1994.

So when Dave "definitely a playoff team" Scott goes on and on about how they're still doing things the way they've always done them, that doesn't really reflect that "the way they've always done them" has been particularly successful on the ice while he's been "in charge."

In fact, it hasn't actually won a Stanley Cup since 1975 (when they weren't "doing it" like they do it now) and they've been to two Cup Finals in the past *checks notes* 35 years. In which they are 2-8.

We'd think that a decade with one playoff round win, missing the playoffs five (going on six) times would be some sort of wake up call.

We'd be wrong. That's actually the entire tenure of Dave Scott as President of Comcast Spectacor and Governor of the Flyers.

• Good Post 2

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

A this point, I'd be thrilled with a competitive hockey team as they had for 15 years from the Lindros trade onward.

Honestly, that 2010 "it's not a fluke" run to the Final papered over a lot of issues that the Flyers faced in the post-lockout era. They tried desperately to find ways around the cap that they insisted on imposing. "Retooling" around Timonen/Briere/Hartnell and adding them to the Dynamic Duo of Crater/Richards kept them somewhat competitive.

But from 05-06 to 11-12, the Flyers were 8-24 in rounds they were eliminated - including the 2-4 loss to the Blackhawks in 2010, swept by the Bruins and winning one game against the Pens and Devils (each).

Further, since the lockout they have one Division title and one second place finish (in the COVID-shortened season). And they followed up their lone playoff round win (accomplished against a team who, in "normal" times wouldn't have even made the playoffs) with what is looking like their first back-to-back miss of the playoffs since 1994.

So when Dave "definitely a playoff team" Scott goes on and on about how they're still doing things the way they've always done them, that doesn't really reflect that "the way they've always done them" has been particularly successful on the ice while he's been "in charge."

In fact, it hasn't actually won a Stanley Cup since 1975 (when they weren't "doing it" like they do it now) and they've been to two Cup Finals in the past *checks notes* 35 years. In which they are 2-8.

We'd think that a decade with one playoff round win, missing the playoffs five (going on six) times would be some sort of wake up call.

We'd be wrong. That's actually the entire tenure of Dave Scott as President of Comcast Spectacor and Governor of the Flyers.

It's a sad state of affairs. We have to get a maximum return on Giroux and try to stay in position for a top 5 pick. This can help the 3-4 rebuild that we don't need. Unload the vets , play the young guys and use the remaining games to gain experience. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers use to be this way standing up for their guys...now too many pu$$ies on the team...

McEwen is about all they have now...

Agree with what ManBearPig said other than "Matt Cooke showing me how to be a proper teammate".

• Haha 3

Will B's resigning of Bergeron have an affect on Giroux and his next contract?

Maybe but it shouldn't they don't have the same resume in my eyes not even close.

Depends on if they wait till the offseason to resign Patrice or not I think.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

10 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

So then we should get more than that for Giroux

With the obvious caveat that Giroux has a NMC that Toffoli did not, and that there needs to be the match between a team willing to pay more and a team Giroux willing to go to.

And that Calgary gets two more years of Toffoli under contract - not just a possible one-and-done rental.

It's not a strict apples-to-apples comparison by any stretch.

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

With the obvious caveat that Giroux has a NMC that Toffoli did not, and that there needs to be the match between a team willing to pay more and a team Giroux willing to go to.

And that Calgary gets two more years of Toffoli under contract - not just a possible one-and-done rental.

It's not a strict apples-to-apples comparison by any stretch.

This is true , I think G would prefer to stay on the east coast, but I don’t think he would have a problem going to a legit team  like Colorado for a real shot at the Cup, but he probably wouldn’t want to stay there long term. So if he went out west he’d only be gone from home for a few months and then still become an UFA and go where he wants.

I really have no idea what kind of contract he will be looking for once he hits UFA, most of the top contenders probably wouldn’t have the cap space to pay him any more than 4 million  year . If he wants to go home to Ottawa they would probably give him the best contract. I think they have decent cap space.

Just now, RonJeremy said:

I don’t think he would have a problem going to a legit team  like Colorado for a real shot at the Cup

I really don't, either. The question is whether the Avs want to make that sort of an investment in this year - and that they have something like $1.7M in cap space at the deadline, no first or second rounder this year (with next year being heralded as a deep draft), and they're #1 in the West by 11 points - already the odds-on favorite - without him.

Not impossible, but hardly a slam dunk.

Adding in a third team - say, Arizona - to eat up some cap and add some assets into the mix (maybe a "thank you" for Gotstobethere?) could make that more viable.

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I really have no idea what kind of contract he will be looking for once he hits UFA, most of the top contenders probably wouldn’t have the cap space to pay him any more than 4 million  year . If he wants to go home to Ottawa they would probably give him the best contract. I think they have decent cap space.

I'm predicting a $6M per deal with the Flyers in the 3-5 year range, with his ability to walk away if/when he wants.

(Not what I want - what I think they will do).

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

I really don't, either. The question is whether the Avs want to make that sort of an investment in this year - and that they have something like $1.7M in cap space at the deadline, no first or second rounder this year (with next year being heralded as a deep draft), and they're #1 in the West by 11 points - already the odds-on favorite - without him.

Not impossible, but hardly a slam dunk.

Adding in a third team - say, Arizona - to eat up some cap and add some assets into the mix (maybe a "thank you" for Gotstobethere?) could make that more viable.

I'm predicting a $6M per deal with the Flyers in the 3-5 year range, with his ability to walk away if/when he wants.

(Not what I want - what I think they will do).

If we were not stuck with Hayes , JVR, Coots, Ellis and Atkinsons big contracts ,trading G and and then re-signing him wouldn’t be so bad. The problem I see is all these guys are now on a downward trajectory in their production and health. How many above 30 players does one team need, especially a team with no shot for a Cup. That’s like 25-30 million in cap $$ for a bunch of declining players. I guarantee G does not come close to this seasons output in the upcoming years if he stays in Philly. Everyone who’s up for a contract has a great year and then goes back to their old ways. JVR had a great  contract year in Toronto,then we signed him and he went back to his useless, floating, inconsistent , lazy self. 

Flyers Insider reports that Giroux has chosen the Avalanche as his destination of choice, with Minnesota and St. Louis "acceptable alternatives."

If this is true, neither Colorado nor St. Louis really has the cap space, so something would need to happen there. Colorado has no 1/2 pick this season.

If I'm Colorado, "it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Does Berube want to shake things up in St. Louis? Blues have no 2nd this year. Some sort of not insignificant roster player would need to be involved. Slot him in on the third line and send Perron here (presuming Perron doesn't have the Flyers in his five NTC list)?

Given that it's ol' Fletch, I can see the Wild involved... A 1/3, Victor Rask (expiring UFA), and a prospect?

Spitballing...

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

Flyers Insider reports that Giroux has chosen the Avalanche as his destination of choice, with Minnesota and St. Louis "acceptable alternatives."

If this is true, neither Colorado nor St. Louis really has the cap space, so something would need to happen there. Colorado has no 1/2 pick this season.

If I'm Colorado, "it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Does Berube want to shake things up in St. Louis? Blues have no 2nd this year. Some sort of not insignificant roster player would need to be involved. Slot him in on the third line and send Perron here (presuming Perron doesn't have the Flyers in his five NTC list)?

Given that it's ol' Fletch, I can see the Wild involved... A 1/3, Victor Rask (expiring UFA), and a prospect?

Spitballing...

It is why I had seen a trade rumor a week or so ago with this suggestion:

Giroux

Frost

for 

Newhook

JT Compfer

And I forget the other details I'm at the gym and will look for it when I get home.

Also please no one cry to me I'm just the reporter here...

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Also please no one cry to me I'm just the reporter here...

Is this a Eklund (e3) - he thought of it, he wrote it down, you read it?

Or from a mildly credible "source"?

To be clear, ol' Fletch would ship out Ron's Frost pick in a heartbeat.

I seriously don't get the reason the Avs make a major change at this point of the season, but I've been wrong before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

Is this a Eklund (e3) - he thought of it, he wrote it down, you read it?

Or from a mildly credible "source"?

I seriously don't get the reason the Avs make a major change at this point of the season, but I've been wrong before.

No this was a good source I want to say it was Labrun on something I was listening to but then I seen a tweet parroting what he discussed.

So it could've been a leak or not or just initial discussion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yes the jist of it was "whispers" the Flyer brass has not been impressed with Frost development from an effort standpoint point.

And then you sit back and look how he has been yo yo ed all season and well that part makes sense....

Edited by OccamsRazor
I hate auto correct

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes the jist of it was "whispers" the Flyer brass has not been impressed with Frost development from an effort standpoint point.

Well, that's no surprise. Dave Scott is on record saying that they're still doing things the way they've always done them.

And that has brought them the unprecedented success they're enjoyed over the past *checks notes* decade...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Well, that's no surprise. Dave Scott is on record saying that they're still doing things the way they've always done them.

And that has brought them the unprecedented success they're enjoyed over the past *checks notes* decade...

Yes always been a fatal flaw for this club always expecting the kids to be perfect and not allowed to play through their growing pains while the vets make even worse mistakes and float and not play their assignments but that is ok.

No one they are were they are now.

• Like 1