Game 41: Flyers at Sabres; 1/22/22 @ 1 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We hit the halfway mark with a battle of the incompetent.  I have not seen opening odds.  Even the bookies have a tough time figuring this one out.  The records over the last 10 are quite similar. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/preview?gameId=401349856

Sounding like a broken record, the O and B need to score first. By my reckoning, we are 2-18-2 after giving up the first goal.  That stat speaks volumes.  

Let's TRY Flyers?  

53 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They tried real hard to win last night. In the last 10 minutes that is. 😋

Ohhhh you mean TRY from the beginning? Sounds good. But first someone has tell the skaters they're allowed to do this.

Yeah, this gang needs to play from the opening face off. They seem to keep their warmups for the first period.  That said, I wonder if they have the talent to compete.  The giveaways and high scoring chances are probably a function of many things...training among them.  But the poor power play and high scoring chances to opponents tell me the mess is deeper.  

Howie

• Like 2

Now here's a team we're built to be competitive with...they've been a bottom feeder for a decade, doesn't look like they're ever going to dig themselves out of this hole. One difference is they sold assets last season....we bought assets. They're 2-6-2 over the last 10, we're 0-7-3. We're due for a win.

Should be a close battle. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

The Flyers are three points ahead of the Sabres.

Am i wrong or is the magic number 42 games when Yandle breaks the record and he can be sat i pray tell??

So if i am right they should be close Yeo gets fired and Yandle benched....no worries for me i am not watching but i hear others complain about him and well since they continue to watch the slaughter i pray for mercy for their eyes so if by removing Yandle does such then good for them.

Back to my evening coffee and fending off covid...Rick will be around soon to rub the loss in.

:BrownBag:

Great news on Farabee, this will ensure us a top five or six pick. Once Giroux is traded then we can really hit rock bottom. Hopefully,Hayes and Coots will be out for the whole season. We have zero chance to make the playoffs so winning a few extra games and dropping out of a lottery position is dumb, so let’s keep losing.

So Wade Allison is back. Great. After his last injury he was supposedly going to miss "significant time." He hurt his elbow vs Hartford on Dec 21st. Evidently "significant time" = ~1 month. Great. Great, that is, if you have confidence in the Flyers / Phantoms medical staff...show of hands...anyone? no one? Bueller?

edit: he hurt his elbow on Dec. 17th and has played 4 Phatoms games since returning.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
date correction

Wow how bad is this team defense? Buffalo skaters just waltzing right into the zone, skating down btw the dots - nobody lays a glove on them - and they're firing away at will. This isn't on Jones at all. Just like it won't be on Carter when he takes another loss.

Flyers must be colorblind they're seeing yellow no-contact jerseys on all the Sabres today. It's just ... wow is all I can say.

I swear i feel so cheated....how long i have waited for a goalie like this kid...we all have waited...

...and it hurts me to my soul to waste his talents....pains me to crush his soul.

Will they waste assets again??

:BrownBag:

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

Dear Gawd Frost WTF are you doing why you so damn soft like this???

Man they can't blow this squad up quick enough.......Frost is officially on my trade block...why not??

Are Maple leafs still drunk enough to be interest in Travis Sanheim???? I hope so....someone anyone.

Make me an offer......

Taryn and the Gang are getting unnerved. Al is right: They fall apart. Taryn just let something slip--after Al said they need Hartnell in front on the PP, she said "or maybe behind the bench." She corrected herself but that was on point. Hartnell wouldn't put up with these wimps.

36 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

What a total wreck this team is.  My God... This is the worst Flyers team I have *ever* seen in my lifetime.  Thanks Fletch!  Nice job assembling this Titanic on skates. Thanks a lot! You own this!

In fairness they are missing their 1C, 2C, top pair D, top six winger...

But the contrast with Buffalo is striking as you watch a young team actually playing the game of hockey effectively and in position to tie(!) The Flyers in the standings...

It's two teams going in different directions, and the Flyers aren't going the right way.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

Just now, radoran said:

It's two teams going in different directions, and the Flyers aren't going the right way.

That's the sad reality.  Buffalo is in a traditional rebuilding mode, and they are going about it the right way.  They have a future goalie stud in Luukkonen (that kid will be a star in this league), and a good, solid group of young players, like Tuch, Thompson, Cozens, Krebs, Jack Quinn, Asplund, Jokiharju, and Dahlin.  Some of them will be phenomenal players. Give this team 2-3 years and time to develop, and with a good coach and patience, the Sabres *can* be scary good.  

The Flyers' current state is sad and depressing, because there is no direction.  I wouldn't mind for them to suck for several years if there was a plan.  But there isn't one.  Its a disaster.  Demolish it, get rid of rubble, grade the site, and start building from scratch.  There won't be a better opportunity for than than now. 

• Like 1