Depression and Athletes

Guest albertaflyer

It just goes to show you that these stars and athletes are not the larger than life figures the media makes them out to be. They are just people like you and me who happen to be very talented in a highly publicized area of our society. As we know that money cannot buy you happyness it is easy to forget that their lives are not all a bed of roses. The pressure is immense on them and with the 24/7 media now a days we get to see how it affects them. The travel is a huge burden on them and their famlies too. As a side hobby I am a line umpire (linesman) for pro-tennis events including grand slams and I get to see a lot of behind the scenes stuff. It actually makes me glad I am not a pro athlete.

Edited by Poulin20

You know I watched this last night it and anyone that has dealt with someone that has had depression, it really hit's home. It at times made me feel guilty for not understanding this illness enough. It really made me look at these athletes in a different light. Who would have thought a guy like Darryl Stawberry would be effected by this illness. The guy was one of the most talented baseball players I had ever seen. The guy had it all. But when you hear his name the thing that most people think of is his off field issues. I guess you never would have really thought that someone like him has been dealing with this for most of his life.