Timonen on difference between Flyers and Rangers: “The goalie”

Guest Digityman

I didn't see this posted here so I thought I'd post it.

From 2/6/2012

As CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio notes, Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette never singles out players in defeat.

The same cannot be said for Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen.

Following Sunday’s 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers, Timonen took a rare — and pointed — shot at his teammate, Ilya Bryzgalov.

“I thought we played a decent game — it didn’t go our way,” Timonen said following the Flyers’ fourth straight loss against the Rangers. So, what was the major difference in the game?

“The goalie,” he replied.

That quote is obviously in reference to the canyon-sized discrepancy in shot-stopping between Bryzgalov and New York’s Henrik Lundqvist.

Lundqvist ranks first in save percentage, second in GAA and fifth in wins.

Bryzgalov ranks 41st, 37th and 14th in the same categories.

While Timonen’s comment was brief — and, let’s be honest, fairly accurate — it’s an intriguing one because it’s a public critique of Bryzgalov by someone within the room. As mentioned above, Laviolette’s had Bryz’s back throughout the year and the Flyers have mostly toed the company line, offering up a myriad of excuses for his inconsistent play (system adjustment, new team, new city, increased exposure), followed by the usual platitudes: “Bryz is one of the best goalies in the league,” and “Bryz has done it before and we have faith he’ll do it again.”

But the reality is this: Philly is 0-5-1 in its last six against elite Eastern Conference teams in Boston and New York. The common theme? The Rangers and Bruins have outstanding goaltending in Lundqvist and Tim Thomas, while the Flyers are still deciding who’s the lesser of two evils — Bryzgalov or Sergei Bobrovsky.

NBC

I would not consider Bob the "lesser" of two evils. He is only a second year goalie in the NHL and he is doing ok. He's not an elite goalie (who knows maybe one day?) but he isn't a bad one either. Bob has been fairly consistent if you exclude the recent game against NJ. Is he a starter? Well who knows because he won't get that chance here.

If you want to compare Bryz vs Thomas and Lundquist and the reason we're 0-5-1 vs the "better" eastern teams.

You must also compare our defense to those teams. If we had Boston or the Rag's d we wouldn't have that record.

Kimmo need's to look in the mirror at himself and the entire defensive unit before he calls out his goalie. I understand

some of the goals our goalies should stop but there are way to many slam dunks going in do to horrific defensive breakdowns.

Thats just how I see it...

Edited by pensuck

If you want to compare Bryz vs Thomas and Lundquist and the reason we're 0-5-1 vs the "better" eastern teams.

You must also compare our defense to those teams. If we had Boston or the Rag's d we wouldn't have that record.

Kimmo need's to look in the mirror at himself and the entire defensive unit before he calls out his goalie. I understand

some of the goals our goalies should stop but there are way to many slam dunks going in do to horrific defensive breakdowns.

He's probably the most consistent player on the team so I don't know what he's going to learn by looking in the mirror. Lilja and Bourdon make a lot of mistakes that end up as chances against but you might be overrating the Ranger's defense a little. They make mistakes and allow plenty of chances too but Lundquist usually has the answer.

He will learn that hockey is probably the biggest team game of them all and maybe try putting a shot on net from the point once in a while. Instaed of the backboards. Did you happen to watch the last Rangers game? Yes Lundquist had some nice saves (as one of the best goalies in the league he should) the Rangers d gives you 1 maybe 2 shots then its out of the zone. That's if you even get a shot through without being blocked. Clement was saying the same thing.

Look, I said earlier our goalies have been a huge let down but our d isn't on the same level as the top teams in the east without Pronger.

Kimmo included.

He will learn that hockey is probably the biggest team game of them all and maybe try putting a shot on net from the point once in a while. Instaed of the backboards. Did you happen to watch the last Rangers game? Yes Lundquist had some nice saves (as one of the best goalies in the league he should) the Rangers d gives you 1 maybe 2 shots then its out of the zone. That's if you even get a shot through without being blocked. Clement was saying the same thing.

Look, I said earlier our goalies have been a huge let down but our d isn't on the same level as the top teams in the east without Pronger.

Kimmo included.

And that sums up the difference: Pronger +/- Lundqvist. The Flyers are close enough that with either Pronger in the line up or with better play in net, the Flyers are as good a team, maybe better.

Taking the last game against the Isles as an example, the Islanders scored zero goals while the Flyers defense was on ice. Then, the Flyers goalie lets in every shot against in the shootout. While only one example, I think its a bit more fitting a representation of the season overall so far.

How can Bob get a chance without Bryz being moved?

Speaking of being moved, I heard some Tim Thomas trade talk.

I dunno how this just slipped bye without any comments...

Thomas rumors? Boston would have to be fairly insane to trade him. They're repeat chances hinge completely on him. Task is not a viable option right now. What did you hear?

@Bakanekimiwa There was talk of the Bruins not being happy with his off the ice stuff (White House and Facebook stuff).

Now the latest is "Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said via email on Tim Thomas trade rumors: “Not trading him. I have not talked to anyone and I don’t plan to.”"

I know. He can't. A guy can always dream. Ha!

Dream scenario: Bryzgaloz meltdown crescendos in April, Bob starts the rest of the way and plays out of his mind, wins Conn Smythe; Bryzgalov bought out in June.

the way i look at" the Defense " is how many shots and scoring chances do we give up ? routinely our skaters put 5-10 more shots on the other teams keeper than our keepers face and the scoring chances are usually even or again our skaters have more opportunities than the opponents. To me that says our defense is doing a good job limiiting shots and chances, when the shots do get through or the chances are there our #1 guy doesn't stop the puck much and worse yet our #1 guy spaces on 70ft shots and they somehow squirt behind him.

saying that timmonen should look in the mirror is like blaming the raven's AFC championship loss on Joe Flacco...

Taking the last game against the Isles as an example, the Islanders scored zero goals while the Flyers defense was on ice. Then, the Flyers goalie lets in every shot against in the shootout. While only one example, I think its a bit more fitting a representation of the season overall so far.

Bryz has left in 8 of the last 10 shootout attempts...he is stopping a whopping 20%......just typing that makes me throw up in my mouth....

• the way i look at" the Defense " is how many shots and scoring chances do we give up ?

The way I look at it is how many QUALITY scoring chances are given up. You can out shoot the other team all night but not have the better chances. We

give up way to many easy goals / quality scoring chances/ better chances.

Do you hear of any Ravens palyers calling out their teamates after losing to the Pats?

We

give up way to many easy goals / quality scoring chances/ better chances.

i disagree. there isn't any way to really count them out and compare to anyone else, but i don't think the flyers are particularly guilty of giving up quality chances. i mean, each time you see tim thomas making an amazing save, the bruins gave up a quality chance. each time you go, "holy crap lundqvist is awesome," it was because the rag's d let someone put a real tester on him. the only real difference is our goaltending hasn't been making the amazing saves thomas and lundqvist have.

Do you hear of any Ravens palyers calling out their teamates after losing to the Pats?

no but i heard ed reed calling flacco out before the game,

i also mentioned scoring chances, every team in the league with the rules the way they are now is giving up 8-15 quality scoring chances a night. the flyers are no worse in that aspect than 24 or 25 other teams...

you're wrong about timmonen, he' was asked a question and he was candid and correct with his answer.

the difference between the rangers and flyers last weekend was our goalie checked out for 3 minutes a cost us the game, their goalie stopped 13 of our 15 chances .

you also miss that the other teams are scoring on us with shots that are lucky to be shots... Bryz has had a lot of bad luck with deflections this year but, unscreened wristers from the blue line should never wind up in your net at the NHL level and somehow vs #30 they do. that garbage from gaborik should never wind up behind the keeper, was that really a quality chance to be blamed on the defense? metzaros cleaned that russian panty waste up immediately prior to that bs... even fonzi called that goal lucky garbage.

yeah, those guys did a nice job of limiting the time and space our forwards have... they give up chances but they get in the way of a lot of shots.

i also may have to just say that for now they have our number. if we make the playoff and meet them gah... i don't want to think about it.

Bobs had no shot on all 3 goals i saw today, i also have to give some props to their first line. those guys had some jump and cycled the puck well.