Hall's hit on MacKinnon

Brewin Flames

23 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

That was just kind of a glancing hit.  No head contact.  Mostly hit MacKinnon’s arms.  Probably shouldn’t have even been a penalty on the play.  MacKinnon’s own stick did all the damage.

Completely agree.  I only watched about 5-10 (realtime) minutes of the game, but this was actually while I had it on.  I don't think this should have been a penalty. An argument could be made for "late," but we're talking fraction of a second. I personally don't think it's even late.  It looked bad live, which is what the officials responded to, but there's no penalty there,  IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Completely agree.  I only watched about 5-10 (realtime) minutes of the game, but this was actually while I had it on.  I don't think this should have been a penalty. An argument could be made for "late," but we're talking fraction of a second. I personally don't think it's even late.  It looked bad live, which is what the officials responded to, but there's no penalty there,  IMO.

Was thinking this same thing. Shouldn't have been a call at all....but, like you said, the refs went by the "result".
They were saying when Hall was told he was being assessed a major he had an incredulous, almost mystified look on his face. Well, we all know many players feign knowing what they did wrong, but in Hall's case, he was legit clueless and after review, we can see why.

The crazy thing is, after the officials reviewed it, even they realized the major penalty call was nonsensical, but, according to the TNT announcers, once an official makes a major penalty call on a player, it CANNOT be completely rescinded, but only downgraded to a minor penalty.

So, in effect, Hall was "jailed" because the arrest was made, he was convicted, and after his defense lawyer had the verdict overturned, still had to sit in the pokey, then set free with an 'apology'.
And yes, I watch FAR too many police/lawyer procedural drama shows :bigteeth:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1