Sergei Zubov #56 Retirement Night

TropicalFruitGirl26

Zubov.jpg.14c2ceec14b6a76ef77ff21f31930a5c.jpg

I'll be honest:
When I saw this being talked about for tonight, I was like, "Oh nice, Dallas is honoring a longtime loyal soldier".

But that would sell Sergei Zubov way too short.
Looking over his numbers, I was actually astonished as to how many points, consistently, he was able to put up over the years in Dallas.

Before he even got the Stars, he already was a Stanley Cup winner (I believe) as a very young player with the NY Rangers in 1994.
Then he goes and wins another during the course of his tenure with the Stars in 1999.

As a Dallas Star, year in, year out, you can almost mark him in for about 10-12 goals and about 50-55 pts a year total...one year he struck 71 total points!
Making those numbers even shinier is the fact  he did all that during the so-called age of 'clutching and grabbing'.
A squarely mid sized defenseman, putting up those kinds of numbers before skaters were really allowed to skate freely AND usually still end up on the + side of the ledger?
Yea, pretty impressive.

An in his prime Sergei Zubov would absolutely thrive in today's NHL....probably putting up ridiculous numbers for a defenseman to the tune of about 80 points annually.

I hear and read lots of discussions on great NHL defenseman....whether shut down types or offensive minded types, and Zubov's name doesn't come up too much.
And now that I really looked at his numbers, watched some vintage clips of him, I don't understand why.

The current Stars would LOVE to have a 27-28 yr old Sergei Zubov patrolling their blue line, no doubt.

At any rate, congrats to him and the Stars.
This one isn't simply some nostalgic gesture to a guy who just spent a lot of time with a team.
It is a well deserved recognition of that, yes, but also for what he did for the team on the ice.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

The ceremony was cool. You could immediately see how Zubie is shy and uncomfortable with public speeches. He was relieved when it was done. Or maybe he managed to have a quick smoke behind the podium... 

Fun to see Hatcher, Ludwig, and Eddie as guest stars. And the organization did great by inviting Masterton's son and Goldsworthy' daughter as they did a good résumé of all retired numbers of the franchise.

The game sucked though. Too bad the Stars were crushed by the Caps for that occasion.

And finally, they all forgot to thank Guy Carbonneau: he was the one that instigated the trade between Kevin Hatcher and Sergei Zubov by claiming to Gainey and Hitch that the Stars would never win a cup with Kevin on the team.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Zubov was well liked by the fans and his teammates. He was an assist machine compiling over 600 assists in his career which was mostly with Dallas. 

Definitely these ceremonies you could see were not his cup of tea or maybe glass of vodka, but it was still very well done and much needed.