Flyers vs Canadiens

Guest Digityman

Live feed --> http://www.firstrows...hia-flyers.html

From Meltzer

PREVIEW 8:30 AM EST

In this year's installment of their annual Black Friday matinee at the Wells Fargo Center, the Flyers (12-6-3) will take on the Montreal Canadiens (10-9-3). The game starts at 3 PM EST and will be broadcast locally on CSN Philly.

The game is second of four meetings between the teams this season. On Oct. 26, the Flyers visited Montreal to take on a struggling Habs team. Philly got off to a strong start in the first period, grabbing a 1-0 lead on a Jaromir Jagr tally. But the Flyers got burned late in the first period, and the Habs took over the game in the second and third periods. Ilya Bryzgalov was tagged with the loss in the 5-1 defeat.

Over their past three games, the Flyers have taken on the bottom three teams in the Eastern Conference. They were beaten in regulation by the Winnipeg Jets (road) and Carolina Hurricanes (home) before taking advantage of subpar goaltending by the New York Islanders' Rick DiPietro to come back from a 3-1 deficit and prevail in overtime, 4-3, on Long Island on Wednesday.

Danny Briere spurred the comeback with a game-tying goal in the third period and the game-winner in the third. Andrej Meszaros and Scott Hartnell provided the other tallies for the Flyers.

The Habs enter this game with a 5-4-1 record over their last 10 games. On Wednesday. Montreal downed Carolina via shootout, 4-3. Overall, the Habs have been in a win-one, lose-one pattern spanning their last 7 games.

Peter Laviolette did not name a starting goalie for today. Sergei Bobrovsky was outstanding in relief of Bryzgalov after the first period of Wednesday's game, but has struggled in his last three starts. Bryzgalov had been a hot streak until mediocre outings against both Carolina and the Islanders. Carey Price will be in goal for Montreal.

The Canadiens have been one of the NHL's best penalty killing teams so far this season. Their 89.9 percent success rate on the PK ranks third in the league. After slumping for much of November on the power play, the Flyers have had some success in recent games, and brought their season percentage up to 18.6 percent (12th in the NHL).

On the flip side, while Philly's PK had been on a roll, the team has struggled in that department of late. They've yielded at least one opposition PPG in each of the last four games, and have dropped to 83.3 percent (13th in the NHL) on the season. The Habs' power play has been nothing special most of the season and comes into the game at an unimpressive 14.1 percent (23rd in the NHL).

On the injury front, Jaromir Jagr is out for a minimum of two games after re-aggravating a groin injury in the second period of Wednesday's game. Chris Pronger (virus) is listed as questionable for today's game but is not expected to play.

For Montreal, Scott Gomez (lower-body injury) is questionable, as are Jaroslav Spacek (upper body) and Andreas Engqvist (lower body). Andrei Kostitsyn (lower body) has been on IR, but resumed practicing earlier this week.

PROJECTED LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek/others

JVR - Briere - Simmonds

Read - Talbot - Voracek/Nodl

Zolnierczyk - Couturier - Rinaldo

Timonen - Coburn

Carle - Bourdon

Lilja - Meszaros

Bryzgalov/Bobrovsky

Canadiens

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole

Moen - Eller - Palushaj

Weber - Nokelainen - Darche

Gorges - Subban

Gill - Weber

Diaz - Emelin

Price

[budaj]

From CSN

Flyers vs. Canadiens, 3 p.m. on CSN

Records

Flyers: 12-6-3 (Second in Atlantic Division, Fourth in Eastern Conference)

Canadiens: 10-9-3 (Fourth in Northeast Division, 10th in Eastern Conference)

Previous games

The Flyers defeated the Islanders 4-3 in overtime Wednesday night. Danny Briere scored twice late, while relief goalie Sergei Bobrovsky made a series of crucial saves in overtime to lead the orange and black to a victory.

The Canadiens rallied for a 4-3 shootout win over the Hurricanes on Wednesday. Michael Cammalleri scored his fifth of the season and Travis Moen tied the score at 3-3 in the third.

Who's hot?

Wednesday was the first time in six games that rookie Matt Read did not score a goal. He entered the contest with a five-game goal streak, which was the longest stretch by a Flyers' rookie since Mikael Renberg had a goal in six straight in 1994.

Carey Price is 3-1-0 with a 0.99 GAA and two shutouts since Nov. 16. Max Pacioretty, Montreal's leader with nine goals, scored twice against the Flyers in October.

Storylines

Jaromir Jagr left Wednesday's game against the Islanders after re-injuring his groin in the second period. Jagr said he will sit the next two games.

Injuries

Flyers: Chris Pronger (illness), Erik Gustafsson (wrist), Jaromir Jagr (lower-body), Blair Betts (lower-body), Brayden Schenn (foot).

Canadiens: Hall Gill (flu), Andrei Kostitsyn (lower-body), Jaroslav Spacek (lower-body), Chris Campoli (groin), Andreas Engqvist (lower-body).

I have an office collegue that is a huge HABs fan... Flyers have to win this one, or it will be a long week at the office. I admit that I ask for it--my office is decked out with Flyers, Phillies, and Eagles stuff everywhere. My office has become the sports "water-cooler" where everyone congregates to talk sports. I like that; but, the "Habs" guy is a bit on the obnoxious side.

The Flyers should win this one; but, the Habs did have our number on our last meeting. But, wow, they are the worst transition team I've watched this year. Flyers should have a lot of "odd-man rushes" since the Habs look completely out of sync in the neutral ice strategy.

Hope D.B. stays on fire too! He looks strong!

Watched the game with my BIL (Habs fan) and it was great. Kind of an even first period, and the Flyers the rest of the way.

A few observations:

Giroux is so fun to watch. You can tell he just loves to play, works so hard, and is excellent at everything. What a draft day steal this guy was.

Bob had two or three game changing saves today when they needed them. He deserves another start.

Lilja: what happened? I missed it, though I'm not exactly sad he's out for six weeks!

Voracek and Read had solid games as well.

Anyway, always sweet when we beat the Habs when I'm watching with a fan ;)