Streak Matched Sunday or Not?

Guest SpikeDDS

Sunday night! 7 EST. Flyers-Red Wings at the Joe!

Detroit tries to tie the record for the longest home winning streak ever...held by their opponent, the Philadelphia Flyers! How appropriate that they should be the team to try to stop the Wings. Saw this game coming about 5 home games ago, and thought it would be fantastic to attempt it against the record-holders.

If Joey Mac plays like he did tonight, I'm feeling pretty good about Detroit getting #20. He played outstanding tonight. Gotta be good for him going into Sunday's game.

Detroit was fortunate to get #19 tonight. They have really benefitted from the shootout wins this season. They're what? 7-1 now in SO? It's sure ain't bad having Pavel Datsyuk starting all our shootouts, though. Wonder if that's got anything to do with it, eh? ;-P

Should be a fun game to watch. Is Bryzgalov gonna be in net? I think I know who's going for Detroit.

Chance Howard will be back by Sunday, great for the boys to be back home, we still have 16 of our final 26 at home, the worst of the schedule is over and the number one seed is gonna be a dogfight, but its in the cards......Wish the Blues would lose a game or two though, they have three at hand and we have a five point lead, good to see the Blackhawks falling back, I thought adding toughness and not skill was a bad mistake by them this summer. The Preds are right there too. What a fun division, easily the best in hockey. I guess now we have a bit of a goalie controversy, Howard is due back, do you send Joey Mac out or release Conklin? Personally I wanted Macdonald as the backup this summer, Conklin was putrid with the Blues last season. I say keep Joey up here, he has earned it and bid a fond adieu to Ty.

@yave1964 You're right Yave, I think they should stay with Joey Mac. I think by virtue of him starting th last two games, and those games being winners, he's earned the backup job. I wouldn't want to rush Jimmy Howard's return though. If it's not healed completley, you can make a broken finger a lot worse if you dmaage it again. He'll be back soon enough, but I don't think it will be Sunday.

If the Wings expect to win against the Flyers, they're going to need to show up and truly play 60 minutes, unlike the last 3 or 4 games they've played. You rest on the notion that the Flyers have goaltending issues....so does Detroit!

They've got to come out hard and strong from the first face-off. Philly is still a powerful scoring team, and they could make life hell at the Joe.

Chance Howard will be back by Sunday, great for the boys to be back home, we still have 16 of our final 26 at home, the worst of the schedule is over and the number one seed is gonna be a dogfight, but its in the cards...

A dogfight is right! And the runner-up is gonna win the team behind them in our division in the first round...a HUGE difference between playing the 8 seed and the 5 seed...especially since the 5 seed will probably have a better record than the 3 seed!

Slightly OT: I have always questioned the NHL's decision to have home ice in the playoffs be by seeding, and not by record. I think it is OK to let division winners automatically have seeds 1,2, & 3, but I believe that regular season record should determine home ice advantage. This year will be case-in-point. Let's say the WC ends like it is today with one minor difference:

The Central goes:

Red Wings

Blues

Preds

Hawks

And the minor change is let's say that Chicago ends up a point higher than San Jose (only 1 point up, albeit with 3 games to give--still gotta win 'em) who would be the 3 seed, and they would face Chicago, the 6 seed, in the first round. I think that Chicago should have the home ice advantage in that series. Chicago has a better record, and they should have it throughout the playoffs against any other teams who were below them in points with tiebreakers.

You could do it this way or you could do it the other way, where you rank the seeds by record alone, but give the home ice advantage to the division winners, but I think the division title shouldn't give a team both seed ranking AND home ice. Yes, it's a little more complicated, but it's also more fair. It solves the issue of being penalized for being a very good team in a very tough division.

Thoughts?

Edited by SpikeDDS

Living in West Michigan, the Wings have been my second team. I'm suprised by this is years squad. They don't have the depth like past years teams have had but they are putting up great numbers. I'm also suprised by the play of MacDonald, he's coming along better than anticipated. All in all though, hope the Flyers can hold on to the record.

Sunday night! 7 EST. Flyers-Red Wings at the Joe! Detroit tries to tie the record for the longest home winning streak ever...held by their opponent, the Philadelphia Flyers! How appropriate that they should be the team to try to stop the Wings. Saw this game coming about 5 home games ago, and thought it would be fantastic to attempt it against the record-holders. If Joey Mac plays like he did tonight, I'm feeling pretty good about Detroit getting #20. He played outstanding tonight. Gotta be good for him going into Sunday's game. Detroit was fortunate to get #19 tonight. They have really benefitted from the shootout wins this season. They're what? 7-1 now in SO? It's sure ain't bad having Pavel Datsyuk starting all our shootouts, though. Wonder if that's got anything to do with it, eh? ;-P Should be a fun game to watch. Is Bryzgalov gonna be in net? I think I know who's going for Detroit.

And if the Flyers play like they have been playing, there's very little question that the Wings tie the record. Flyers are showing some growing pains after a good 1st half and it's not just in net.

Yep? Sparta actually.

I lived in Coopersville for four years in the late eighties, very pretty area.

I like the playoff format they were talking about until the players association shot it down. 4 divisions of 7 or 8 teams, top four make the playoffs and must play out of the division to move on, 1-4 2-3 winners play each other, then winner of that moves on to play another division champion with high points having home ice. Very fair and balanced unlike some news networks.

Yep? Sparta actually.

Calvin College grad here. GO KNIGHTS!!

I lived in Coopersville for four years in the late eighties, very pretty area.

I like the playoff format they were talking about until the players association shot it down. 4 divisions of 7 or 8 teams, top four make the playoffs and must play out of the division to move on, 1-4 2-3 winners play each other, then winner of that moves on to play another division champion with high points having home ice. Very fair and balanced unlike some news networks.

I did too and was surprised that the players union shot it down. Seemed reasonable to me. I think it's a crying shame that the Leafs and Wings play as seldom as they do now with the current format. The other EC Original Six teams too. I remember...what...two(?) years ago when Montreal came to the Joe and it was the first time they'd been there in like 7 seasons or something ridiculous like that! That was back when you didn't even play every team at home once as a rule. They improved it, but it certainly needs more refining, and I was disappointed, because the NHL's proposal seemed reasonable. I'm sure most Wings fans would selfishly agree, because it obviously held the Wings with them not having to travel like that in the playoffs. But I think it's better for the game anyway as a whole too.

Sunday night! 7 EST. Flyers-Red Wings at the Joe!

Detroit tries to tie the record for the longest home winning streak ever...held by their opponent, the Philadelphia Flyers! How appropriate that they should be the team to try to stop the Wings. Saw this game coming about 5 home games ago, and thought it would be fantastic to attempt it against the record-holders.

If Joey Mac plays like he did tonight, I'm feeling pretty good about Detroit getting #20. He played outstanding tonight. Gotta be good for him going into Sunday's game.

Detroit was fortunate to get #19 tonight. They have really benefitted from the shootout wins this season. They're what? 7-1 now in SO? It's sure ain't bad having Pavel Datsyuk starting all our shootouts, though. Wonder if that's got anything to do with it, eh? ;-P

Should be a fun game to watch. Is Bryzgalov gonna be in net? I think I know who's going for Detroit.

Flyers will rule you tonite. They are a f'king pissed off team after getting the xhit kicked out of them by the rags.

Flyers will rule you tonite. They are a f'king pissed off team after getting the xhit kicked out of them by the rags.

Flyers played a good game, but are undisciplined and have not made a move to replace Pronger. His 28-30 minutes a nite would fix most of your goalie problems....Bob looked confused several times tonight. Datsyuk was huge as usual, Kronwall is the most underrated player in hockey, 2nd in the nhl in defensemen goals and the best open ice hitter in the game. Schenn was amazing tonight, he had his first goal in the outdoor game he is up to eight now. Richards for Schenn and Simmonds. Wonder if the Kings would like to take that one back? Joey Mac gave up three goals, at least one was his fault, but the Wings team defense was on display tonight and their big three Z, Pavel and the Mule all scored.Great win!!

Flyers played a good game, but are undisciplined and have not made a move to replace Pronger. His 28-30 minutes a nite would fix most of your goalie problems....Bob looked confused several times tonight. Datsyuk was huge as usual, Kronwall is the most underrated player in hockey, 2nd in the nhl in defensemen goals and the best open ice hitter in the game. Schenn was amazing tonight, he had his first goal in the outdoor game he is up to eight now. Richards for Schenn and Simmonds. Wonder if the Kings would like to take that one back? Joey Mac gave up three goals, at least one was his fault, but the Wings team defense was on display tonight and their big three Z, Pavel and the Mule all scored.Great win!!

I cannot disagree with anything you say. My team is in the woodshed right now.

Congratulation to a fine team and a proud franchise on your 20th at home!

Flyers score then take a bad penalty. It been consistent for a long time. Now that the PK has been pretty bad, it's even more noticeable. It's been stated a few times on the Flyers board that Lavy needs to change his game plan now. His goalie situation isn't working out, the 8 or so rookies are hitting the wall and Jagr's needs a rest.

I agree with you about Kronwall. It's amazing to sense the fear in the wingers along the wall when they have their back to him. They know if they get that puck they are going to be crushed. It's spoils many rushes. Intangible really.

The Flyers gave a glimmer of hope in the 2nd but alas Detroit was and is the better team.

It sure was a fun hockey game to watch, and I honestly think that game could have easily gone the other way. Joey Mac's blunder obviously made it a different game, but the Flyers didn't play badly. They certainly played better than I was expecting them to play. Made the game fun to watch the whole way through.

It was nice to see the Wings' PP be effective. If the PP had been like it usually is this season, we would have lost this game or at least been into OT. Important to make other teams pay for taking penalties. That certainly was one of the reasons for the Wings' victory.

Lidstrom's quick tic-tac-toe pas to Franzen for the goal was SICK! It was like, "You raise us Max Talbot's redirect, and well raise you THIS!" Good also to see the Wings stars getting the goals.

No question that the Flyers miss Pronger's presence in their own end. They'd be a better team, and their goaltenders would benefit as well.

Do I hear 21?!

They certainly played better than I was expecting them to pla

It was close in the end but I think both teams have another gear when at the top of their game. Flyers definitely do.

Lidstrom's quick tic-tac-toe pas to Franzen for the goal was SICK!

That was pretty sick. I'm not sure it was if it was that one or a different one but I remember Talbot slamming his stick on the ground. He was flying high until that. Must have been pissed.

That was pretty sick. I'm not sure it was if it was that one or a different one but I remember Talbot slamming his stick on the ground. He was flying high until that. Must have been pissed.

I think he did that after Zetterberg's goal. And quite honestly, other than the score itself, I didn't see what in particular made him so upset. I was looking for some kind of missed call or missed defensive assignment, but didn't see anything. Maybe just the frustration of the opposing team answering and Philly not closing someone out when they get ahead. According to Laviolette, they have played better than their recent record might indicate, this just being another example. That DOES get frustrating, but it happens. You just have to work your way through it. Tough for any team.

What's ALSO amazing is that Franzen was READY for it! I remember seeing footage of Magic Johnson playing pickup ball at MSU. He was making no-look passes that would literally bounce off of guys' chests right under the basket because no one could even see the passing lane except for him. No one could keep up with his mind.

There is a benefit to having guys play for a long time together. Datsyuk and Lidstrom's teammates have come to expect these kinds of plays, so they are more ready when they come, but that takes a like mindset, and for some it just takes time before you start to know what that teammate is going to do. Maybe it was just Franzen being ready for anything, but I think he knew it was coming, and that's almost as impressive as making that pass.

Maybe it was just Franzen being ready for anything, but I think he knew it was coming, and that's almost as impressive as making that pass.

It was a great play to be sure, but the old adage: "keep yer stick on the ice" pretty much applies here. So I'm not that impressed.

I'm not sure how I feel about records being 'set' in this era, as shootout wins certainly throw off just how hard something like a win streak really is. Another example is the 'three point game' of this era.

Not to take anything away from the Red Wings, as they certainly deserve recognition, but some perspective would also be good I think.

Regarding the Flyers/Red Wings game, I took one thing away from it (Red Wings related anyway): Detroit's top guns show up. That is invaluable.