TIMONEN RIPS TEAMMATES AFTER ANOTHER LOSS TO NYR

Guest Irishjim

Nothing has changed since last weekend. Or since the Winter Classic. Or since before Christmas, either.

Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers still own the Flyers. Except this time, they added some other things to their collection of Flyer memorabilia.

They now own the Flyers on special teams plus their collective souls, too.

John Tortorella’s club shredded the Flyers penalty kill units with a trifecta -- three power play goals -- during Saturday’s humiliating 5-2 rout over the Flyers at the Wells Fargo Center.

Afterward, Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen, shredded his teammates, as well.

“I’m a little disappointed at the effort, the emotional level, a top team in the conference and league and to be honest. We got half the guys going and half not,” he said.

“That was my opinion. You might see differently, but that is what I saw. It’s a big game for us and I was expecting more. It was tight game, they got three power play goals, we didn’t score any.”

“They play the same way every night. There’s no surprises and if there is a breakdown their goalie makes the save and they block a ton of shots. Somehow they get the job done. They work hard. They play the same system every night and their goal plays really well every night.”

Ryan Callahan had a hat trick on Flyers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. Five games against the Broadway Blueshirts and five Flyer defeats. That’s total domination.

“You have to bring it every night,” Timonen said. “I don’t care who you are … Every game matters. You have to bring it!”

New York led 3-2 when the third period began, got a quick goal from Artem Anisimov, then rode out Lundqvist, who had 31 saves.

Timonen was asked whether this is where not having team captain Chris Pronger around to shake people up in the dressing room makes a difference.

“He’s not here and we all should get by that by now – he’s not coming back,” Timonen said. “We’d be more than happy to take him back but he’s not here. Would he say something? I don’t know. Who knows?”

Coach Peter Laviolette wouldn’t address Timonen’s remarks specifically, other than to point to the final period.

“I don't like the way we came out in the third period,” Laviolette said. “That fourth goal took the steam out of it.

“Before that, they had three power play goals and maybe only two or three even strength chances after two periods.”

Through the first eight minutes of play, the Flyers mustered just one weak attempt on Lundqvist in a game that truly meant something.

Callahan gave the Rangers a 1-0 lead early on the power play before Wayne Simmonds tied at 13:03 with his 18th goal. Simmonds has five goals in February.

The tie didn’t last long because the Rangers got their second power play goal three minutes later on a Marian Gaborik deflection to make it 2-1 at intermission.

Now if there were any question whether Claude Giroux had regained his shooter’s touch it was answered 6:36 into the second period when he took a home run pass from Simmonds for a breakaway that caught the Rangers in a bad defensive change.

Giroux deftly went forehand/backhand a couple of times as he snaked in on Lundqvist. As the goalie fell with his glove hand fully extended across the goal line, Giroux muscled the puck, pushing it through his arm into the net for his 22nd goal and fourth in six games to re-tie it at 2-2.

Again, however, trying to get a read on these two clubs at even strength is difficult as Callahan notched his second goal of the game three minutes later on the power play to push New York ahead once more, 3-2.

New York’s crisp, quick passing dazzled the Flyers as Brad Richards and Michael Del Zotta beat both Timonen and Braydon Coburn with tic-tac-toe passing to Callahan.

“They got three or four on the power play and we got to stay out of the box,” Giroux said. “We just shot ourselves in the foot there. Our PK has got to be better.

“We have to do a better job at helping Bob. I don’t know how many goals they got on back door tap-ins. We have to do a better job at killing penalties.”

The Flyers have now gone consecutive Saturdays where they allowed the opposition three power play goals. The Devils had three last week during their 6-4 win in Philly.

That last Ranger power play, incidentally, was the result of a terrible goaltender interference call against Scott Hartnell that wasn’t deserved but it’s a moot point in the overall scheme.

Timonen was asked whether the Flyers have as much collective talent as the Rangers?

“Talent? Well, it comes down to effort,” he replied. “I don’t think there’s much skill level difference from bottom team to the top team, but it comes to the system, how you execute the system, how you play every night. Sometimes we go up and down. Then you lose games. That’s not the way championship teams play.

“… Everyone realizes we could have played better,” Timonen said. “It was a tight game, 2-2, but I felt we could have pushed more and pressured more. They got another two points.

“… We need everybody going at the same time. We just can’t have one or two lines going and four defensemen or whatever. We need everybody going. This is the time of year when you need everyone going.”

Sunday, the Red Wings will try to tie the Flyers' 1976 record of 20 consecutive wins on home ice at Joe Louis Arena.

“Tomorrow, if we’re not ready to play, it’s even a tougher opponent than today,” Timonen said.

E-mail Tim Panaccio at tpanotch@comcast.net

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Irishjim

“I’m a little disappointed at the effort, the emotional level, a top team in the conference and league and to be honest. We got half the guys going and half not,” he said.

hmmm.... this seems to be the same problem as last year and the year before that. The only difference is those that were the ones that didn't put out the effort aren't here anymore....so who is he talking about this time?

missed a fair amount of the game

@Irishjim

hmmm.... this seems to be the same problem as last year and the year before that. The only difference is those that were the ones that didn't put out the effort aren't here anymore....so who is he talking about this time?

missed a fair amount of the game

I am a Lavy supporter. But, I am starting to question a system that stresses all attack and depends so heavily on forwards and defense moving up and back together for it to work. It is a finesse system that the Flyers are not ready to handle. With Pronger out, it is startling the leadership that is missing, not to mention a lack of leadership on the defense. We have kids that are getting their heads handled to them and I don't see Laviolette or Holmgren stepping in with a solution.

Notice how Timonen mentioned that the Rangers play their "system" better than we do. The only thing is we don't really have a system except to try and outscore the other team.

Peter Laviolette - 350-248-25 point percentage .575

John Tortorella - 368-311-37 point percentage .537

Both have Stanley Cups.

Losing Pronger has sapped the heart out of the team. I agree that leadership is becoming a big problem -- Timmo is trying to fix that now, maybe a public shot at team helps.

I don't think enough can be said about the loss of our captain

Notice how Timonen mentioned that the Rangers play their "system" better than we do. The only thing is we don't really have a system except to try and outscore the other team.

I noticed that, too. He told it like it is, which I like but I wonder how well it will go over in the locker room. Goaltending, a complimentary system, effort -- these are all things that are suffereing and it's as obvious as sunlight.

The Rangers goals were hard work in front of the net, not transition shots. Outside of the PP (some manufactured to say the least - looks at Torts face as even he is surprised), the Rags were contained for most of the game. In that sense, Lavy's overall system is NOT the problem here. It's effort, a lot of rookies in critical roles, and crappy coaching from the D coach once possession is established on the Flyers' zone.

I read the Timonen thing that Sheridan wrote ( http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20120212_Phil_Sheridan__After_loss_to_Rangers__Timonen_offers_harsh_assessment_of_Flyers.html )

Interesting that he mentions system...as noted on this site...but I also find it stunning that he seems to call out the goaltending by being so complimentary of the Rags' goalie. Consistency. Consistency. Consistency.

To be honest, I don't share the criticism about lack of effort. Not in the way I saw it the past few seasons, anyway. I just see a team with a bunch of young kids who ARE going to be inconsistent, especially as the season progresses and the exhaustion sets in. I think Holmgren HAD to expect this a little but thought he was covered by his goalie signing and Pronger/Timonen on the back end. Best laid plans, and all that. Some of the very things that have made them competitive (some really successful rookie years) are the same things that on the flip side are weaknesses (too many rookies). The Flyers just don't have some of the tools right now to cover up glaring weaknesses.

The Rangers goals were hard work in front of the net, not transition shots. Outside of the PP (some manufactured to say the least - looks at Torts face as even he is surprised), the Rags were contained for most of the game. In that sense, Lavy's overall system is NOT the problem here. It's effort, a lot of rookies in critical roles, and crappy coaching from the D coach once possession is established on the Flyers' zone.

The rags flat outplayed the Flyers...again....Bourdon who was looking so good in his initial call up has become seriously turnover prone in the last 6 games or so. Bob made some incredible saves and kept the Flyers in the game for the first 2 periods. The Rags PP goals were the product of great puck movement and deflections too. The Gaborik deflection for the 2nd goal found it's way into about a 3 inch gap top shelf. Bob was not out of position, just a good/lucky deflection by the Rags. SINCE Pronger is out for the rest of the season, the Flyers NEED to put the "C" on someone. Timmo or Giroux would get my vote. The officiating was once again suspect with the some of the calls too. How does Sestito get the extra penalty when he is being held by one rag and being punched by another. He was not even given a chance to drop his gloves before Bickel had punched him 5 or 6 times. The goalie interference call on Hartnell was as much of a joke as the 10 minute misconduct on Briere. For 2 periods the Flyers played solid hockey, and then they mailed it in on the 4th goal by the rags. That is the biggest reason that someone needs to be responsible and wearing the "C". To get in their collective asses and not let them mope because they are down.

Maybe the lack of on ice leadership is causing them not to play the system Lavi wants them to play, consistantly that is. The thing I don't understand is there shouldn't be a lack of leadership. Timmo, Briere, Talbot, G, (Shelly, ok maybe not on the ice but atleast locker room).

Oh, another thought... I don't know how this works in the 'real' world but why can't pronger hang around the team more? Go to home games and watch, then mentor individual players in between players, or even rip the team a new one if need be or encourage them when they are doing it right?

Oh, another thought... I don't know how this works in the 'real' world but why can't pronger hang around the team more? Go to home games and watch, then mentor individual players in between players, or even rip the team a new one if need be or encourage them when they are doing it right?

In some cases, that might work, but it's always better for your leader to actually be on the ice. But in this particular case, it's my understanding that Pronger really isn't up to even doing that. The guy is apparently having a really bad time of it.

Yeah, I guess so. Bummer... That's why it would be tough for Shelly to rip the team when he is scratched or getting less than 2 min of ice time.

Or, maybe Shelly could (literally) rip the door off of the locker room, throw it in the center of the room (next to the logo, not on it of course), and yell at the guys who actually get to play. Shelly presumably works hard, but doesn't get to play - and these other gifted guys aren't appreciating what chances they have.

At the very least, it produced a humourous scene in my head where Shelly yells "Shelly Smassshhhh".

Or, maybe Shelly could (literally) rip the door off of the locker room, throw it in the center of the room (next to the logo, not on it of course), and yell at the guys who actually get to play. Shelly presumably works hard, but doesn't get to play - and these other gifted guys aren't appreciating what chances they have.

At the very least, it produced a humourous scene in my head where Shelly yells "Shelly Smassshhhh".

If Shelley is going to do anything with the locker room door, I'm hoping it's walking out through it never to return.

I don't think the Flyers "bring it" game in and game out like the Rangers do.

I also don't think that the Rangers, top-to-bottom, have more "talent" than the Flyers.

The real question here - and I just went up and down the box score - is trying to figure out who is among the "half the team" not playing hard.

To Rad and everyone:

To answer the question of who is giving effort and who is not. Isn't that the coaches job? For Pete to say he has to go back and look at that speaks volumes. He has a ring side seat to the effort or lack thereof. It is his responsibility to motivate these guys and bench those who are not putting forth the required effort. They get paid plenty to play hard each and every game. I for one am tired of the same lame excuses of young players, need to adjust to longer schedule, crappy defense, inconsistant goalies. Seems like a redundant theme. Paul needs to bust a move and make some trades to shake things up. Focus on promising d-men and a GOOD goalie. Amen.

For Pete to say he has to go back and look at that speaks volumes.

I get what you're saying but I just think that's his way of not calling out specific players during the interview. If he says he needs to go back and look at tape before forming an opinion, he'll get to dance around any difficult topic that comes up about any aspect of the game. He probably knows who is dragging ass or not playing the way they should, just doesn't want to say in the media.

Dear Spin,

Thanks for the response. I can see your point of view and respect it. However, for the amount of money these guys are getting paid, and at this point in the season, perhaps Peter should comment in the media to light a fire under some butts. They should be held responsible for uninspired play and a benching for a game or two shouldn't shatter their ego. If it does, then they shouldn't be wearing orange and black.

PuckMeister