Pre & Post lockout coaches & systems & coach/team killers

Guest BobDailey

Reflecting back on the last 7 years or so

Hitch would have won the cup with the 03-04 Flyers with one more defenseman or one less commissioner screwing the Flyers ( and ultimately the Flames) so that a southern team could win the cup

Hitch lost a year and then was faced with a new set of rules and many new players and some young ones who tuned him out and got him fired.

In walks John Stevens who cant coach his way out of a wet paper bag and coddles the players and has no system. They sorta rise from the ashes on talent alone and being young whatever, a few veteran presences (Jason Smith and Knuble) and a sorta goalie in Biron.

Finally the young ones screw Stevens and his lack of system or a system so totally not at the NHL level and Lavi comes in and they have a miracle year with Emery sidelined & Leighton and Boucher in the nets but fall a few goals short in the finals, again one of the young guns choking with an empty net high

Lavi won the first cup post lockout in a world of new rules that to be brutally frank, are totally different from year to year, when coming near a player would be a penalty, we all know what 05-06 and 06-07 were like in the early fix it for Crosby era. Lavi was the beneficiary of a a lot of things in 05-06

In my mind now looking at how well the St Louis Blues are doing with Hitch with a bit less talent (& a good goalie in Halak)than their record indicates, he was the best of the recent bunch of coaches & maybe that 03-04 team was a lot better than we ever thought and Esche was a better goalie than anything thats been here since. He was the team USA goalie for many years in international play over that period and kept the teams in the game. He was not that bad for us post lockout, more internal coach vs goalie thing.

I think Hitch was and is a better coach than Lavi , better systems guy, better prepraration etc.

Carter & Richards are coach killers, and Richards may be the better all around player but I still hate him, for his lousy play right before Hitch was fired. All he would do is come down the wing and take a slapshot right into the goalies glove/pad.

Reflecting back on the last 7 years or so

Hitch would have won the cup with the 03-04 Flyers with one more defenseman or one less commissioner screwing the Flyers ( and ultimately the Flames) so that a southern team could win the cup

Hitch lost a year and then was faced with a new set of rules and many new players and some young ones who tuned him out and got him fired.

In walks John Stevens who cant coach his way out of a wet paper bag and coddles the players and has no system. They sorta rise from the ashes on talent alone and being young whatever, a few veteran presences (Jason Smith and Knuble) and a sorta goalie in Biron.

Finally the young ones screw Stevens and his lack of system or a system so totally not at the NHL level and Lavi comes in and they have a miracle year with Emery sidelined & Leighton and Boucher in the nets but fall a few goals short in the finals, again one of the young guns choking with an empty net high

Lavi won the first cup post lockout in a world of new rules that to be brutally frank, are totally different from year to year, when coming near a player would be a penalty, we all know what 05-06 and 06-07 were like in the early fix it for Crosby era. Lavi was the beneficiary of a a lot of things in 05-06

In my mind now looking at how well the St Louis Blues are doing with Hitch with a bit less talent (& a good goalie in Halak)than their record indicates, he was the best of the recent bunch of coaches & maybe that 03-04 team was a lot better than we ever thought and Esche was a better goalie than anything thats been here since. He was the team USA goalie for many years in international play over that period and kept the teams in the game. He was not that bad for us post lockout, more internal coach vs goalie thing.

I think Hitch was and is a better coach than Lavi , better systems guy, better prepraration etc.

Carter & Richards are coach killers, and Richards may be the better all around player but I still hate him, for his lousy play right before Hitch was fired. All he would do is come down the wing and take a slapshot right into the goalies glove/pad.

Yea, I like Kapt'n Kangaroo too.. Good points... You seem like you know a bit about hockey.. So what would you do Coach Bob with this 2011-12 Flyers team?

This team will not win the cup too much to fix this year

As I mentioned in earlier in another post there is not the defensive depth and I think the goalie situation is horrendous

If I was coach I would tell the GM

Get me a veteran goalie who could share an equal load of games and lets just try to get as deep as we can for experience(meaning someone sits and I am not sure which one of russian roulette bullets it is)

Get me some defensive help thats temporary and not at great cost, reduce the minutes of of the rooks on D

I would put the team in a friggin hotel for home games and get them in the road mentality

I would go hunting the others teams stars if they hunted ours

I would make the team play a 1-3-1 if they had a lead going into the 3rd period or were tied against certain teams when there is a long tough string of back to back games like 4 in 5 nights or 5 in 7 or 7 in 10

Lavi goes pedal to the metal with a team thats too young with a d thats too thin with uncertain goaltending

I would practice the shootout more and put the best shooters in or guys that had not been seen by the goalie that had tricks

This team is 7 points away from the NYR

The problem is the coach not ADJUSTING to the situation when he does not have the horses or goalie or the team is exhausted

Sounds like Andy Reid but its LAVI

I accept this is a young group of forwards learning to play together,but I dont think the team as a whole are managed properly in terms of system vs time on ice with mutliple games and you know what -they are a little too small and not MEAN enough to wear down the other team

Edited by BobDailey

Eastern Conference Team GP Pts

1. * NY Rangers 54 77

2. * Boston 53 70

3. * Florida 54 63

4. Philadelphia 55 69

5. Pittsburgh 55 67

6. New Jersey 55 66

7. Ottawa 58 64

8. Toronto 56 62

I hope people stop with the panic. With all of the new players, rookies, Russian double-agent 51mil goalie soft goals, concussions, and other injuries, the Flyers are doing a ridiculously good job. They are getting the job done, even with struggling in the ultra-competitive Atlantic division. While I really really REALLY hate watching the Flyers losing to the Rangers, no top team has gone through as much **** throughout the season.

Let's see what happens if/when the Bs or Rangers face the same adversity over the same period of time (all season so far).

Edited by doom88

The team is doing well but the management of the team in these game heavy stretches is wrong

What is wrong with learning to situationally play shut down hockey when you are missing you # 1 D and trying to get points?

Its like when you are short guys on the bench you would play dump and wait essentially

I know Lavi made a point of embarrassing Tampa for doing the 1-3-1 at the start of a game ( and ended up losing to them as well, ironic)

But instead of just managing players time, manage the SYSTEM according the fatigue level and acknowledge the need for more points. The Debbies and Pens are coming on now and are nipping at the teams heels Slipping down to 7 or 8 and playing Boston or NYR first round isnt going to bode well for the Comcast Enterprise to make money on playoff games and thats ALL this whole thing is about. We are just cannon fodder to be squeezed for $$.