St. Louis Hired

radoran

https://www.wfla.com/sports/tampa-bay-lightning/tampa-bay-lightning-legend-martin-st-louis-named-interim-head-coach-of-montreal-canadiens/

il parle français

So he's got that going for him. One of my all time favorite hockey players (and fellow UVM alum).

Bonne chance
Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

It's official now...

Martin St. Louis named Montreal Canadiens' head coach, signs 3-year extension after interim tag dropped

8:43 AM ET
  • wyshynski_greg.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Greg WyshynskiESPN

Martin St. Louis has been named the 32nd head coach for the Montreal Canadiens, after being hired on an interim basis last season without any previous NHL coaching experience.

St. Louis, 46, has signed a three-year extension through the 2024-25 season.

The Canadiens shocked the hockey world earlier this year by naming St. Louis as the replacement for head coach Dominique Ducharme, who was fired on Feb. 9 after Montreal went from playing in the Stanley Cup Final in 2021 to last place in the NHL in 2021-22 with an 8-30-7 record.

St. Louis had never been behind an NHL or AHL bench; his only previous NHL coaching experience was as a special teams consultant with the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2018-19.

But Montreal general manager Kent Hughes had known St. Louis since the Hockey Hall of Famer was a college player at the University of Vermont; and Canadiens vice president of hockey operations Jeff Gorton once tried to hire St. Louis to coach the New York Rangers' minor league affiliate in Hartford.

Under St. Louis, the Canadiens posted a 14-19-4 record. He managed to turn around seasons for several players, most notably highly touted rookie Cole Caufield, who had 35 points in 36 games after St. Louis was hired.

"During his short stint behind the bench last season, Martin showed he has the required qualities to lead the Canadiens in the right direction," Gorton said in a statement released by the team.

"Despite difficult circumstances when he took over, he was able to bring a breath of fresh air to the locker room and the players benefited from it as much individually as they did collectively. Martin thinks the game at a high level, and we believe that he is the right person for this job."

Hughes said the team was happy to retain St. Louis.

"Martin is a proven leader, a great communicator with a deep understanding of and passion for the game of hockey. His arrival brought a renewed energy to our group, and we look forward to him returning behind the bench to continue guiding our team for the foreseeable future," Hughes said.

A native of Laval, Quebec, St. Louis had 1,033 points in 1,134 games as a player for the Calgary Flames, Tampa Bay Lightning and Rangers, winning the Hart Trophy as League MVP in 2004. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2018.

Edited by Brewin Flames

Good, one more reason reason to hate the Habs with their cocky new coach. "I think I have the experience and qualities that I think can make me a good coach", sounds so familiar...

"Vous, les Suisses, vous êtes dégueulasses: vous fumez." Still got this stuck in my throat when we was playing for us during the 2004-2005 lock-out. The level is high but I hope Montréal will turn into the next Buffalo Sabres. 

I like this hire for the Canadiens.
Granted, I have INCREDIBLE bias towards MSL because he is, after all, one of my favorite all time Lightning players, but going past that, I believe he may be the type of personality the Habs franchise needs:
Determined, Indominable, player oriented rather than bureaucratic oriented, and one who cares more about 'doing', rather than 'how things look'.

Montreal can do without MORE stuffy, say-the-right-things, desk bound stiffs for head coaches, and should embrace the fire, the championship pedigree, and yes, some of the COCKINESS, that one MSL can bring to the table and possibly filter it down to every man in the Canadiens' locker room.
He wore his emotions on his sleeve when he played, I expect he does the same as a coach....in that respect, he is very much like Rod Brind'Amour.
Gotta be good for the room when the players know their head coach rises and falls right along with them.

Overall, I will always be 'anti-Montreal', due to the fact they are a Tampa Bay divisional opponent, but I love MSL enough to wish him success no matter where he goes or what he does...even if it is with an 'enemy' organization.

We will see if the front office can make smart decisions with personnel to help set up MSL for success down the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Granted, I have INCREDIBLE bias towards MSL because he is, after all, one of my favorite all time Lightning players

My second favorite all time hockey player after JLC.

Y'all can make the obvious connection...

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Determined, Indominable, player oriented rather than bureaucratic oriented, and one who cares more about 'doing', rather than 'how things look'.

And who knows what it's like to be counted out by the Old Boy Network.

Very curious to see how he does in Montreal.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...