Holmgren Update on injuries

Guest hf101

Actually Lilja can go on LTIR because he will be out at least 24 days or 10 games. i didn't think of LTIR when writing my post.

IR and LTIR are basically the same, just differ in how teams can go about replacing the player. Both IR and LTIR players are not on the active roster.

A player on IR is short-term (must remain on IR for 7 days, can be retroactive) and can't have his salary replaced by a player called up or acquired.

LTIR is for players who will sit out at least 10 games or 24 days. These players can have their cap salary replaced while they are injured, which also allows teams to exceed the cap by 10% in order to allow a team right against the cap to be able to deal with injuries.

There's a common misconception that LTIR allows teams to "bank" cap space. Not true. Injured players have their salary count fully against the cap, regardless of the term of their injury. The only way to save money on the cap with an injured player is to have that player injured for the entire season.

I believe it happened in the third period, Lilja stumbled over one of their forwards and fell along the boards behind bob's net.

I just read on csnphilly.com where TP states Lilja has a knee sprain. Thats what it looked like on the tv, but holmgren said high anlke sprain......oh well one of them is more right than the other. :)

TP states Lilja has a knee sprain. Thats what it looked like on the tv, but holmgren said high anlke sprain......oh well one of them is more right than the other.

I would bank on the General Manager (Paul Holmgren) being dialed into a players injury more so than a beat writer (especially TP).

Although, it would not be the first time a GM bullshit about an injury.

I believe it happened in the third period, Lilja stumbled over one of their forwards and fell along the boards behind bob's net.

I just read on csnphilly.com where TP states Lilja has a knee sprain. Thats what it looked like on the tv, but holmgren said high anlke sprain......oh well one of them is more right than the other. :)

....or one is more truthful than the other.....with the flyers general penchant for non disclosure on injuries, I might believe TP over homer there.

@hf101

There's a common misconception that LTIR allows teams to "bank" cap space. Not true. Injured players have their salary count fully against the cap, regardless of the term of their injury. The only way to save money on the cap with an injured player is to have that player injured for the entire season

Probably need Aziz's knowledge here, but I'm not sure that's 100% true...I think you get a prorated/credited amount for players on LTIR on a daily basis, even if they are not out for the season. Example..Crosby-the Pens got some type of relief for him missing 2 months, but I can't recall how it's calculated.

Actually Lilja can go on LTIR because he will be out at least 24 days or 10 games. i didn't think of LTIR when writing my post.

IR and LTIR are basically the same, just differ in how teams can go about replacing the player. Both IR and LTIR players are not on the active roster.

A player on IR is short-term (must remain on IR for 7 days, can be retroactive) and can't have his salary replaced by a player called up or acquired.

LTIR is for players who will sit out at least 10 games or 24 days. These players can have their cap salary replaced while they are injured, which also allows teams to exceed the cap by 10% in order to allow a team right against the cap to be able to deal with injuries.

There's a common misconception that LTIR allows teams to "bank" cap space. Not true. Injured players have their salary count fully against the cap, regardless of the term of their injury. The only way to save money on the cap with an injured player is to have that player injured for the entire season.

What about the cap hits of signed players? I think LTIR means any signings count 100% against the cap, but I'm not sure about IR.