Do the Flyers make the playoffs?

Guest trevluk

Ok, 4 losses in a row now and the bulk of the remaining schedule against conference and division teams. Do the Flyers even make the playoffs? I say yes by the skin of their teeth and slide in with the 7th or 8th seed and then lose in the first round to Boston or NY. Hope I am wrong but I think this is even a somewhat optimistic outlook at this point.

At this point, part of me thinks it would be better if they didn't make the playoffs. Stop the hemorraghing, sit the team, give them time to get their head on straight, figure out what moves you need to make in the off-season, and then refocus for next season. No sense continuing to expose yourself to such humiliations when there's no need, or when you're in such a delicate state of mind. Or when you're not even trying - as someone else posted - for that matter.

At this point, part of me thinks it would be better if they didn't make the playoffs. Stop the hemorraghing, sit the team, give them time to get their head on straight, figure out what moves you need to make in the off-season, and then refocus for next season. No sense continuing to expose yourself to such humiliations when there's no need, or when you're in such a delicate state of mind. Or when you're not even trying - as someone else posted - for that matter.

I think there is a lot of truth to what you say. But it might be good for the young players to experience the second season. That said, if we continue our current play--it won't matter.

Take care,

Howie

Stop the hemorraghing, sit the team, give them time to get their head on straight, figure out what moves you need to make in the off-season, and then refocus for next season.

??? hemorrhaging now?

good lord, guys, these things happen. bad slump right now, no question, but sheesh. they are still 4th in east by standings, and have 8 points on the number 9 team. it'd take a pretty epic collapse to not make the playoffs from that position. and that 9th place team is washington, who i think we can all agree have even more issues than the flyers. 11 points on the 10th place team, by the way. we're good, as far as making the playoffs goes.

the team has problems, and some of them will probably be around until holmgren can do some manuevering in the offseason, but a lot of teams have problems. things get better, things get worse, things get better, things get worse again. things see-saw as the season moves along. happens to everyone. boston is 3-4-0 in their last 7, and haven't won 2 in a row since january 11th-12th (and the almightly chara is a -3 with 5 points in those 13 games). are they hemorraging and ought to shut it down for the season? i mean, come on. why are we, as long time hockey fans, not used to how this works?

this is the same team that went 9-3-1 through december. what has changed in everyone's mind that says they can't do that again?

boston is 3-4-0 in their last 7, and haven't won 2 in a row since january 11th-12th

That's right. I'm sure they realize it's useless to defend the Cup this year so come PO time we will likely see something unusual - the defending SC Champs waive their seed and give it to a "more deserving" team. The Flyers should do the same - it's the only way to preserve the honor of the organization. Going in as a 4th or 5th seed is just too humiliating.

Ok, 4 losses in a row now and the bulk of the remaining schedule against conference and division teams. Do the Flyers even make the playoffs? I say yes by the skin of their teeth and slide in with the 7th or 8th seed and then lose in the first round to Boston or NY. Hope I am wrong but I think this is even a somewhat optimistic outlook at this point.

Just bearly. Then tank round 1. Same old same old.

do they make the playoffs? yes... it's not that hard... half the league gets in and we're not THAT bad. sure we have problems and i don't expect us to go far, but they'll make it. seeding won't really matter... every team will be a challenge for the flyers to beat. but, who's the softy in our conference? washington? that's about it.

Flyers are eight points up on the nine seed with 27 to play. It's possible they completely collapse, but I don't see it.

I also don't see them getting past the first round unless they luck into, say, a six seed and play FLA/WAS. Even then, it's iffy...

Hi Guys,

Here's what we need to do to remedy this situation at least temporarily. First trade Briere to Toronto for Schenn or to Nashville for Suter and hope we can get him to sign long term. Or trade JVR to Nashville for the same reason. Trade Wellwood to Montreal for Gil and this would help for this year and some years ahead. This may also negate haveing to sign Carle. Could also use him as trade bait or draft pick. Then, concentrated hard on d-men/goalie in the draft.

Have a great day,

PuckMeister

They'll make the playoffs, but 6-8 seed should probably be expected. I think I personally was expecting slow start with improvement as the season went along rather than what we've seen, but I think many were with me before the season started in expecting 6-8 seed.

I really do think the beginning of the season was a bit of a mirage. On the other hand, they have a pretty good record considering lousy defense, a ton of injuries, and average goaltending at best. Improvement in any of those areas--doesn't really have to be all of them--and they are fine for the regular season. Come playoffs, it's betting money that they are one and done.

Hi Guys,

Here's what we need to do to remedy this situation at least temporarily. First trade Briere to Toronto for Schenn or to Nashville for Suter and hope we can get him to sign long term. Or trade JVR to Nashville for the same reason. Trade Wellwood to Montreal for Gil and this would help for this year and some years ahead. This may also negate haveing to sign Carle. Could also use him as trade bait or draft pick. Then, concentrated hard on d-men/goalie in the draft.

Have a great day,

PuckMeister

danny b has a No Trade Clause in his contract he is not going anywhere. Luke Shenn stinks his mins have decreased all season he was supposed to be a 1 2 paring on the laffs. he has been playing on the 3rd paring for the laffs. danny b in the playoffs is a monster

They are still good enough to make the playoffs...... even playing this mystifying, baffling, self-destructive style of play. They will make the playoffs simply because there are not so many teams who are better. But I just can’t see this team doing anything substantive in the playoffs, unless some drastic, dramatic changes are made between now and the trade deadline.

FanForLife,

I did anticipate a response to the ffect that Schenn's mins. have decreased. However, I wonder if he is just ready for a change of scenery. Like Sharp fell into disfavor with Hitch it could also be the case with Schenn. He is young and has upside to develope.

I am aware that Briere has a NMC, but he might be willing to waive it since I doubt the Flyers are true cup contenders this year. It would certainly free up cap $s.

I guess you liked the idea of trading JVR so one out of three is not so bad.

Thanks for the response.

PuckMeister

I think there is a lot of truth to what you say. But it might be good for the young players to experience the second season. That said, if we continue our current play--it won't matter.

Thanks, Howie. Good point about giving the young guys some playoff experience. Hadn't looked at it from that persepctive. Even if they get slaughtered, that would still be good for them to have under their belts going into next season.

??? hemorrhaging now?

good lord, guys, these things happen. bad slump right now, no question, but sheesh. they are still 4th in east by standings, and have 8 points on the number 9 team. it'd take a pretty epic collapse to not make the playoffs from that position. and that 9th place team is washington, who i think we can all agree have even more issues than the flyers. 11 points on the 10th place team, by the way. we're good, as far as making the playoffs goes.

the team has problems, and some of them will probably be around until holmgren can do some manuevering in the offseason, but a lot of teams have problems. things get better, things get worse, things get better, things get worse again. things see-saw as the season moves along. happens to everyone. boston is 3-4-0 in their last 7, and haven't won 2 in a row since january 11th-12th (and the almightly chara is a -3 with 5 points in those 13 games). are they hemorraging and ought to shut it down for the season? i mean, come on. why are we, as long time hockey fans, not used to how this works?

this is the same team that went 9-3-1 through december. what has changed in everyone's mind that says they can't do that again?

Okay......hemorrhaging was maybe a little over the top. How about heavy bleeding? Ha. And believe me, when it comes to the lack of consistency the Flyers often show, as a long time hockey fan, I'm way too used to how this works!! :D And frustrated!

Thanks, Howie. Good point about giving the young guys some playoff experience. Hadn't looked at it from that persepctive. Even if they get slaughtered, that would still be good for them to have under their belts going into next season.

At age 54 I still think...not as well as I used to, but thoughts flow...but more like low-grade maple syrup than synthetic blend motor oil. Take care and thanks for helping to keep the board civil and productive.

Howie