Flames Trade for Toffoli

radoran

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/montreal-canadiens-trade-winger-tyler-toffoli-to-calgary-flames/ar-AATQheK

I love how this site formatted the trade

The Montreal Canadiens have traded right winger Tyler Toffoli to the Calgary Flames in exchange for Tyler Pitlick and prospect Emil Heineman.

then a huge picture of Toffoli and then

The Canadiens will also be getting first and fifth round draft picks.

Burying the lede guys...

• Like 1

This has been rumored for a bit and grew legs over the weekend, it happened today.

Toffoli has been dealt to the Flames by the Habs in exchange for a first this year, a fifth next a grade D prospect and wrm body Tyler Pitlick. 

I like it for Montreal, adding a first for Toffoli is a nice get, it shows it is probably going to be a sellers market this deadline.

I LOVE it for Calgary, Toffoli is a veteran of multiple deep playoff runs, winning a couple of cups with the Kings and going to the Finals last year with the Habs, he has two years remaining at 4.25 million per on his contract, a very affordable deal which will fit in nicely. As a player he is a middle six winger on a team that needed exactly that. Calgary looks like a threat for a deep run, he is the perfect add.

• Like 2

I posted this also just now and didnt see that it was already up. I cannot remember how to combine them. 

Good solid add for Montreal getting a first, the rest of the pieces are window dressing.

Great add for Calgary getting a playoff veteran who fills a need as a middle six winger who has two years remaining on a very affordable deal.

• Like 1

At first glance, this feels like a "win", trade-wise for Montreal.
They get two picks, including that first, and a project player in Pitlick, for a guy who likely didn't figure into their long term plans, but a guy who has not performed anywhere near as well for them as he did last season.

Of course, as some have said in the chatbox, if Toffoli IS healthy and motivated, he could be a nice boost to the Flames' lineup, and I am assuming THAT is what they are going for as it seems they are pushing to win now.
Gadreau may not return next season, Monahan has looked lost all year, Coleman hasn't been the "big add" they were hoping when they lured him away from TB, and about half their defense will be UFA's at season's end.

I still think the Flames gave up quite a bit for a shot that Toffoli regains his form, but, I suppose if a team is serious about winning now, rather than later, they have to take some gambles.
Furthermore, I failed to realize earlier that Toffoli is a Sutter guy, so if anyone knows Toffoli the player and person pretty well, it is the Calgary head coach, and he probably knows how best to deploy him on the ice.

Toffoli does come with term still, so this won't be a 'one n done' rental for the Flames, but again, if they DON'T win this year, it could mean some key players either won't return, or others will want out (thinking Tkachuk), and if the Flames fall back into a mediocre or retooling/rebuilding team, I wonder if Toffoli would want to stick around for that....Sutter or no Sutter.

So yea, on the surface, and for now, I say Montreal did real well here.
If Calgary goes deep in the playoffs, or *gasp* WIN, then obviously, the Flames FO will be smarter than everyone else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I posted this also just now and didnt see that it was already up. I cannot remember how to combine them. 

Good solid add for Montreal getting a first, the rest of the pieces are window dressing.

Great add for Calgary getting a playoff veteran who fills a need as a middle six winger who has two years remaining on a very affordable deal.

Taken care of.

• Like 1

Trade: Flames get Tyler Toffoli from Canadiens

Tyler Toffoli trade
Minas Panagiotakis, Getty Images
  •  

The Calgary Flames are very quickly (and very quietly, it seems) starting to emerge as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender in the Western Conference.

They have one of the best top lines in hockey, a stout defense, excellent goaltending, and a two-time Stanley Cup champion head coach behind their bench in Darryl Sutter. The one thing they they have been missing: A little bit of scoring depth behind their top duo of Matthew Tkachuk and Johnny Gaudreau.

They addressed that on Monday by acquiring Tyler Toffoli in a trade with the Montreal Canadiens.

In exchange for Toffoli the Flames are sending first-and fifth-round draft picks in 2022 to the Canadiens, along with prospect Emil Heineman and Tyler Pitlick. The first-round pick is top-10 protected.

There is a lot to like about this deal for the Flames. Not only do they get a really good two-way player that can strengthen their forward depth, he also has two years of term remaining on his contract at a salary cap hit of $4.25 million per season. His numbers are down a little bit this season from a year ago, but he is still on pace for around 20 goals while still being a strong possession driver on what has been a bad team.

That contract term also might come in handy as some additional insurance in case the Flames are unable to re-sign Gaudreau after this season. Toffoli also has a history with Sutter, winning the Stanley Cup with him in Los Angeles during the 2013-14 season.

It also did not cost them a ton in terms of assets.

Pitlick is basically a throw-in to make the salary cap work for both sides (no retained salary) while the fifth-round draft pick is not until 2024. The first-round pick is top-10 protected this season. If that pick is in the top-10 (not likely given the Flames’ place in the standings), the Canadiens will instead get a 2023 first rounder and an additional fourth-round pick as part of the trade.

That leaves the prospect.

Heineman was a second-round pick by the Florida Panthers in 2020 and is having a strong season in Sweden, but it is worth pointing out that he has already been traded twice before he has even signed his first NHL contract.

The Panthers traded him to Calgary a year ago as part of the Sam Bennett trade.

It is the first major roster transaction of the Jeff Gorton/Kent Hughes front office and definitely signals more major changes ahead. They did get four pieces back in return, but the ceiling for them is probably low.

Toffoli played a significant role for the Canadiens a year ago in helping them reach the Stanley Cup Final, but this season has quickly fallen apart for the team after several offseason departures and major injuries.

Montreal has already overhauled its front office (GM Marc Bergevin out; Gorton and Hughes in) and replaced Dominique Ducharme with Martin St. Louis. Expect more changes to the roster in the coming weeks.

• Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It does. So where do is slot???

Current lines for the Flames:

Johnny Gaudreau – Elias Lindholm – Matthew Tkachuk

Andrew Mangiapane – Mikael Backlund – Blake Coleman

Brett Ritchie – Sean Monahan – Dillon Dube

IMO, Toffoli likely displaces Coleman. Either directly, or indirectly if he takes over for Tkachuk and Tkachuk slots in for Coleman. The domino effect for the team is nice, as it gives them two great scoring lines and then Coleman helps the third line become a threat. Besides Coleman, there is also Sean Monahan. He currently sees time on the top PP unit. That ends now. Look for Toffoli, Lindholm, Tkachuk and Gaudreau to become the four PP forwards.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

I like it alot...i feel it's got home run potential....

I think it already a home run, Calgary losses first rounder, but Toffoli is proven Cup winner and exactly what Sutter wants - Toffoli on third line with Monahan makes Calgary line up one of the deepest in the league💪