Trades for the future

Guest brelic

Ok, after the 2nd pointless weekend in a row, and thoroughly embarrassing losses to the Rangers (3 PP goals allowed to the worst road PP team @ 9.4% before the game), and the Wings (the delicious irony of beating the current record-holder to tie that record), I'm annoyed at watching the complete disorganization in our own end.

How many tic-tac-toe plays did we allow over the weekend? 3? 4? Guys all alone in behind our defensemen. That, plus our goaltending continued to suck.

So, here's what I would do if Homer were drunk enough to give me the keys to the team for one day:

1. Trade JVR to Toronto for Luke Schenn.

The elder leads all defensemen in hits and is 7th overall in the league at just 22 years old. He's also on pace for a career year in assists and points. He's young and will grow into his role with the other young lads on the team.

Plus, just imagine how many lame jokes we'll hear about Philly TRULY being the City of Brotherly Love?

JVR might turn out well and he might not, but I think with the emergence of some of our players and young rookies, he's become expendable.

2. Trade Carle, Briere, and a 1st to Nashville for Ryan Suter OR Shea Weber and a forward prospect.

We won't re-sign Carle at what he's asking, and with Briere, that gives Nashville two solid NHL players for a deep playoff run. Carle somewhat eases the sting of losing Suter.

I'm sure that offer will have to be adjusted, and Briere would have to agree to move.

If Poile won't budge on Suter, I would inquire about Jonathon Blum, obviously for a lot less.

That way, our defense *could* look like this:

Suter OR Weber/Timonen

Schenn/Coburn

Meszaros/Bourdon

Gus

I'm okay with any of that at this point. Anything that attempts to shore up the defense is okay by me. I have a nagging feeling, though, that since it's the defense, we end up with a very minor deal that brings a Lilja-type defenseman back that leaves us all wondering, WTF?

The only way Poile makes money in Nashville is if the team goes deep in the playoffs, and that means they will not trade either D-men...especially for Briere who's underacheiving and Carle who will jump ship in the offseason.

I think Briere gives them exactly what they need in the playoffs. I think only Crosby has more points in the playoffs than Briere since the lockout. That's pretty impressive. He comes up small in the regular season year after year, but he's definitely a factor come playoff time.

And Carle, well, he will walk, but they have Blum and Ellis in the pipeline OR Poile can try to re-sign Carle in the offseason to less than Suter would command. So, either way, Poile will still have solid defensemen, and Carle helps fill the big void left by Suter.

Just some spitballin' that will never happen, but can be fun to think about.

Howdy:

The whole trade gig is muddied by Pronger. I could envision Homer going for a cap clearing trade for picks dumping a Briere or Carle. He might be thinking about preserving his good corps of young forwards. The D is a mess. Schenn might help but what has to be given up? If Homer dumps space and Pronger is a no-go for next year, we might have 8-10 million in space. That would be something to work with.

Best,

Howie

Don't have time to look. How many years does Timo have left on his contract? Is it NMC? If we're dumping this year, I move him for cap money and go younger. If Pronger is done plus Timo's money and maybe not re-signing Carle, you haven't touched our offense and can try to rebuild the defense.

Don't have time to look. How many years does Timo have left on his contract? Is it NMC? If we're dumping this year, I move him for cap money and go younger. If Pronger is done plus Timo's money and maybe not re-signing Carle, you haven't touched our offense and can try to rebuild the defense.

Rux:

I think a "dump" trade is rational. The corps or forwards is worth preserving. I am wondering if Homer is worried about the Pronger situation--big cap implications and even bigger in terms of squad development.

Howie

What do people think about bringing back Richards (not a rumor...my made up idea)? If Briere is dumped, can one of Giroux/Schenn/Couturier play wing to make space - or Richards? It would solve the soft forwards that are poor at defense perception. It would hopefully help the future since he is young, kind of cheap, and will likely never be Capt again.

Again, I made this up.

@brelic

I'm not against either trade. We still have 1 too many centers, even if Schenn/Coots can play wing. They are used to playing center. The Briere issue is simple to me; he isn't waiving his NMC/NTC clause. Period. He has kids that have grown up in Philly, he is divorced, and unless she moved, his ex is still in the area. Even if Homer approaches him with teams he would go to, I don't know if he would leave due to family concerns.

This could all be a mute point depending on the CBA. I think we are grinding towards a lockout similar to the NBA's. Games by Nov/Dec next year. I don't know how teams can make solid decisions without a well defined labor agreement. Imagine if there are unlimited buyouts for 15 days..or team's get one with no cap implications. What if the over 35 rule goes away for all contracts? Tons of variables.

I think that's why this team might make a minor move..wait to see what happens with CBA..and then go hawg wild as usual, when the rules are clarified.

Eh, fair points, I guess. I just really don't want him on the Flyers. And he really only hits on occasion. The rest of the time he skates around thinking "look at me, world." Don't want him. I'd rather have Avery at this point.

Plus, he seemed pretty ticked when he left. I just don't see him being all Mr. Cheery Employee if he came back.

Edited by ruxpin
keeps adding my quote and response to a different post. ticking me off.

@doom88

Mike Richards was the only Flyer jersey I have EVER bought. But I don't want to see him back. His performance, on and off the ice, last year, left me rather bitter towards him. Look at the Richards from the first few years, and then last year, he needed to go. It was addition by subtraction, in my opinion. Whatever happened, he was not even close to the same player as when he came into the league(from an attitude and effort standpoint that last season).

@brelic

I'm not against either trade. We still have 1 too many centers, even if Schenn/Coots can play wing. They are used to playing center. The Briere issue is simple to me; he isn't waiving his NMC/NTC clause. Period. He has kids that have grown up in Philly, he is divorced, and unless she moved, his ex is still in the area. Even if Homer approaches him with teams he would go to, I don't know if he would leave due to family concerns.

This could all be a mute point depending on the CBA. I think we are grinding towards a lockout similar to the NBA's. Games by Nov/Dec next year. I don't know how teams can make solid decisions without a well defined labor agreement. Imagine if there are unlimited buyouts for 15 days..or team's get one with no cap implications. What if the over 35 rule goes away for all contracts? Tons of variables.

I think that's why this team might make a minor move..wait to see what happens with CBA..and then go hawg wild as usual, when the rules are clarified.

Good point about Briere... I don't think he'd waive his NMC either. If he had 1-2 years left, maybe, but he's got 3 years (I think). Timonen might... he's UFA after next season. THere would be lots of teams that would LOVE to add a guy like Timo at the deadline and would pay a lot to get him. But I really like him as a player, and would hate to see him go.. alas, changing of the guards and all that.

Anyway, I really like the idea of trading for Luke Schenn and then another young defenseman in a separate trade. I put Suter and Weber, but it's a pipe dream. I'd prefer guys like Ekman-Larsson, Blum, Hedman... I'm sure you could pry those guys away for a nice package which doesn't really have to hurt our core.

Eh, fair points, I guess. I just really don't want him on the Flyers. And he really only hits on occasion. The rest of the time he skates around thinking "look at me, world." Don't want him. I'd rather have Avery at this point.

Plus, he seemed pretty ticked when he left. I just don't see him being all Mr. Cheery Employee if he came back.

Ok, you can say that just to get your point across, but you can't really mean it. You just can't.

Anyway, I really like the idea of trading for Luke Schenn

I am warming to the trade, as long as Homer doesn't throw in 3 draft picks and they overpay, as it always seems is the case! But JVR(healthy) for him, isn't enough, IMO...we need a player or pick back as well. You make a very good point about Kimmo..for the right team, he just might. He doesn't have many years left. I never even thought about him, but if he goes-wow that frees up some cash to fill that slot, doesn't it!?

I have such an inbred hatred of Whoronto, that it makes it hard to accept we may trade for a player from them.

@KingSkaggz24

Dude, I have no idea what you asked or posted..I can't take my eyes off that avatar. DAYUM!!!

no idea why those responses went into the same post!?!?

seriously..that makes 3 separate responses in one thread. I bet this makes it 4!!!

going for 5

DGG...that was my problem earlier! It just kept adding to my post!

As a Kings fan, would Philly do this?

To Los Angeles

Danny Briere

To Philly

Jack Johnson

Tyler Toffoli

Mhmm?

Yes, but why would the Kings do that? Picking up Philly cast offs has worked so well for them before?

Jesus H. Christ. It's doing it again.

Edited by ruxpin
We should cancel threads and separate posts and just have one post each for everyone.

DGG...that was my problem earlier! It just kept adding to my post!

Yes, but why would the Kings do that? Picking up Philly cast offs has worked so well for them before?

Jesus H. Christ. It's doing it again.

Mike Richards has worked out fine, so as Ron Hextall,John Stevens,Justin Williams,Terry Murray(RIP).

dude, you forgot Michael Handzus!!!

And Dean Lombardi

Mike Richards has worked out fine, so as Ron Hextall,John Stevens,Justin Williams,Terry Murray(RIP).

We disagree on whether they've worked out fine. But having said that, I'll take your trade.

As a Kings fan, would Philly do this?

To Los Angeles

Danny Briere

To Philly

Jack Johnson

Tyler Toffoli

Mhmm?

I would trade Briere for the girl in your avatar.

Seriously though, I would think the Flyers brass would consider that kind of trade but no way Danny waives his NMC to move his family all the way across the country.