Trades for the future

Guest brelic

@doom88 Mike Richards was the only Flyer jersey I have EVER bought. But I don't want to see him back. His performance, on and off the ice, last year, left me rather bitter towards him. Look at the Richards from the first few years, and then last year, he needed to go. It was addition by subtraction, in my opinion. Whatever happened, he was not even close to the same player as when he came into the league(from an attitude and effort standpoint that last season).

Don't forget the injury issues (specifically a wrist that needed offseason surgery and didn't get it until a full year later), terrible trainers/docs in other ways, and Jeff Carter - the locker room depth charge.

Howdy:

The whole trade gig is muddied by Pronger. I could envision Homer going for a cap clearing trade for picks dumping a Briere or Carle. He might be thinking about preserving his good corps of young forwards. The D is a mess. Schenn might help but what has to be given up? If Homer dumps space and Pronger is a no-go for next year, we might have 8-10 million in space. That would be something to work with.

Best,

Howie

I do not see much for this season because the general managers with good D offerings are going to be asking a premium. More so I think Holmgren stands pat because he believes he has a good D corp. Yes, I know hard to believe. But, I believe that he feels, and obviously for political reasons, that the problem with this team's funk lies soley with the goalie position and the injury to Pronger. I would even be surprised to see the Hal Gill move. My gut tells me a lot is not being said publically, or for that matter privately, about Pronger but a lot is known. Holmgren and Pronger date back to the Hartford days. If there is no movement for a D man, something is up. Call me crazy.

I do not see much for this season because the general managers with good D offerings are going to be asking a premium. More so I think Holmgren stands pat because he believes he has a good D corp. Yes, I know hard to believe. But, I believe that he feels, and obviously for political reasons, that the problem with this team's funk lies soley with the goalie position and the injury to Pronger. I would even be surprised to see the Hal Gill move. My gut tells me a lot is not being said publically, or for that matter privately, about Pronger but a lot is known. Holmgren and Pronger date back to the Hartford days. If there is no movement for a D man, something is up. Call me crazy.

You're crazy. (but only because you told me to)

BOI, we may not go back as far as Hartford, but I won't call you crazy. I agree RE: Pronger's condition. I suspect his career is over. I would like to think Homer will try for some upgrade at D. He is stuck with Bryz--Bobo may be trade bait. What's amazing is that the 27th is around the corner. It seemed like the season's opener was yesterday; now October seems like ancient history.

Best,

Howie

Your first trade offer I would do. Though I am not crazy about Jacks -88. Yet really we would have addition just by subtracting Briers contract (despite his playoff production). Toffoli is a nice prospect. He led the OHL last year and is leading again this year. Apparently his skating is average and the defencive zone is pretty alien to him (though he is improving).

The second one, I think the value of JVR is significantly greater than Bernier. Particularly since we already have a "Bernier" in Bobrovsky. So, I would pass on the second one (with or without the ice girl).

Timmo would be really attractive to one of the cap floor teams. His cap is 6.3m, but he only has one year left on his contract at a salary of 3.0m. It would suck to see him go, but I do think it may be inevitable. As mentioned, so many possibilities hinge on the language of the new CBA.

Man, I hate to loose Briere! And I have been a stand 'Pat' opinion all along. But, that is a nice d-core you assembled there with a realistic loss of our players. Interesting...

The way I see it, we can give up JVR, Briere, Carle and Timonen, and be just as strong up front, and set up for the future on the back end. Timonen would be lost after next season anyway, unless you really want to re-sign a 38 year old defender. So, why not leverage him into something useful? He has a NMC, but he might agree to be moved if it's for a better shot at the Cup.

JVR and Briere will leave holes, and we'll have to plunk in a forward in the offseason.. but for the rest of the season, it would look like this:

Hartnell/Giroux/Jagr

Voracek/Schenn/Simmonds

Read/Couturier/Z

Sestito/Talbot/Rinaldo

Definitely a drop off, but there are a decent crop of available UFA forwards that can help re-insert that veteran presence (Doan, Penner, Hemsky, Ruuttu, Stoll, Hejduk, etc). There are some more expensive ones too, but not sure we'd go there (Smyth, Semin, Parise).

Here's my two cents........I'd vote for Brelic's plan in a heartbeat. At this point what do we have to lose? I think we might miss Briere come playoff time, but this season, who knows. And to get someone for him who can actually contribute during the regular, especially on defense, would make that trade well worth it at this point. Especially since Briere is getting up there in years. I've always liked Danny and bear him no animosity, but it's time. I move that Brelic write up this proposal and submit it to Holmgren or Snider and get it done!

Here's my two cents........I'd vote for Brelic's plan in a heartbeat. At this point what do we have to lose? I think we might miss Briere come playoff time, but this season, who knows. And to get someone for him who can actually contribute during the regular, especially on defense, would make that trade well worth it at this point. Especially since Briere is getting up there in years. I've always liked Danny and bear him no animosity, but it's time. I move that Brelic write up this proposal and submit it to Holmgren or Snider and get it done!

LOL, if it were that easy, we'd all be GMs. I remember reading an article about the Carter trade and how it basically took shape over a full year before it happened.

In all seriousness, I don't think Briere would waive his NMC for family concerns.

Im all for unloading Briere and Timmo and Carle, in making these moves we will pretty much write off the season, but its best for the future, since were not winning anything this year. I know Briere might not want to leave Philly, but maybe he would like to finish up his career in his hometown of Montreal. The Canadiens are clamoring for a hometown hero.I would offer Briere for Subban and a pick. I would then offer Timmo to one of the top three or four playoff teams who need that veteran dman to put them over the top.I would ask for a top prospect or young dman and a first rounder. . I would unload Carle for a first rounder or a top prospect/young roster player. We also free up big $$ for the potential to land Webber or Suter, we can also sign a solid defensive guy like Bryan Allen .

So in the end we dump two highly paid older players, a pending UFA who is looking for a big payday, and we could end up with a nice combo of first rounders ,young dmen, and prospects, and also have plenty of cap $$ to big a big offersheet to Webber

For the first time since Homer has been GM,he has draft picks,a young nucleus of players.(good things) An opportunity coming up to build from the draft,like most teams do.This looks like a year we're just going to have to accept that a cup is not in the Flyer's immediate future. No matter who Homer acquires(if he does) the goalie problem is worse than any other thing on this club.Think how much better the team would be with a decent goalie. If anybody came here from the Preds,their goalie would be my first choice. It would make all the other problems a lot smaller.

I was never a Richards basher, I didn't really buy the late night carousing stuff either. But that is SO not going to happen.

I know. Just wanted to throw something different out there. I'd rather Ryan Kesler anyway, but there's less of a chance of that unfortunately.