What can the Avs afford at the deadline?

radoran

Avs have only about 1.6 mill in cap space and will need to absorb about 4.1 mill of Giroux's cap hit so not sure what it all could look like so i will lay it out as an example nothing more...

Darren Helm 1 M

Tyson Jost  2 M

Sampo Rannta 925K

Justin Barron 925K

The two prospect's cap hit would need to be accounted for since they are in the AHL in entry level contracts and once traded for can be assigned to the AHL without waivers.

for 

Claude Giroux 4.1 M (8.25M)

As i stated this is not exactly what i want just laying out an example of what might go down.

If anyone sees something i got wrong or over looked please feel free to post.

Thanks.

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Avs have only about 1.6 mill in cap space and will need to absorb about 4.1 mill of Giroux's cap hit so not sure what it all could look like so i will lay it out as an example nothing more...

Right - that's my question, really.

Is the "$1.6M" the amount of a full salary the Avs can add? Or with ~1/4 of the season left, is Giroux's remaining salary counted against it?

Also, they are currently accruing space which is where the $1.6M number comes from. That total number isn't good until the actual deadline.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Right - that's my question, really.

Is the "$1.6M" the amount of a full salary the Avs can add? Or with ~1/4 of the season left, is Giroux's remaining salary counted against it?

Also, they are currently accruing space which is where the $1.6M number comes from. That total number isn't good until the actual deadline.

I thought since his signing bonus has already been paid out and his actual salary is only 4 mill the have to be able to absorb the full cap hit. But I could be wrong and maybe they only have to take on a prorated portion of it.

Wish I could answer better than that but I don't know as well and I am looking for answers.

• Like 1

Whatever the Flyers set as an asking price for Giroux could be expensive, though the return might not be as big a deal breaker as making the cap dollars fit. Cap Friendly shows the Avalanche with just $1.691 million in projected salary-cap space by the March 21 trade deadline. That probably won't be enough to comfortably absorb the remainder of Giroux's $8.275-million cap hit, which sat at $2.979 million as of Feb. 16.

Avalanche GM Joe Sakic will require some creativity to make this deal happen. He could ship out a depth player such as Nicolas Aube-Kubel ($1.075 million) or Tyson Jost ($2 million) in the return to the Flyers.

I found this @radoran

https://thehockeynews.com/news/claude-giroux-reportedly-prefers-the-avalanche-but-can-they-afford-him

I'm still reading it too.

Edited by OccamsRazor

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So as of February whatever date his cap hit was 2.9 mill to take on so the longer they wait the less they need to free up is what I am reading.

You get that @radoran?

Makes life easier...

Reading into it on capfriendly, though, the "Deadline space" represents the "total sum of cap hit values" - so it appears it just might be the full number... Which makes life harder.

Happy to learn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That would be sooo Fletcher to trade for a player he gave away on waivers.

Yes it seems that way but it would only be for salary reasons...i'm sure NAK would hate that to go from a Stanley Cup contender to a dumpster fire...

....i expect next year too be more of the same till i see otherwise.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!
  • Like 1