Rinaldo Suspended 2 Games for Charging

Guest killjoysfly

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=616751

NEW YORK -- Philadelphia Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo has been suspended for two games, without pay, for a charging incident in which he launched himself to hit Detroit Red Wings defenseman Jonathan Ericsson during NHL Game #829 in Detroit on Sunday, Feb. 12, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Rinaldo will forfeit $5,885.88. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

The incident occurred at 13:25 of the first period. Rinaldo was assessed a minor penalty for charging.

For a full explanation of the decision, complete with video, please click on the following link:http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=157353

Wow. I thought that was a borderline call. Ericsson passed the puck then admired his pass. Rinaldo hit him. The article says he "launched himself". During the game, I didn't see that on the play or replays. Rinaldo's feet weren't visible. Even if he did leave his feet, I don't think the hit is suspension worthy.

EDIT: After seeing Shanahan's explanation, yes Rinaldo left his feet. Still not worthy of suspension.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

what do i expect? well, i guess there's two answers. one is the theoretical one, where i answer that at the very least shannahan recuses himself from detroit-related incidents and have an impartial party stand in, like happened with campbell and the briuns..or better yet, the league move away from the single-man judge/jury/executioner situation and into a reasonably fair disiplinary board thing, like every other institution in the world.

or the cynical/realistic answer, where i'm not the least bit shocked the league continues to do things in the most draconian and ineffective way possible, for no reason other than, i dunno, it didn't occur to them to do it otherwise, i guess. i certainly can't think of a logistical reason a 3 man committee can't be voted in by the board of governors every fall for the upcoming season.

horseshit suspension. 2 games for that? meanwhile Kronwell gets nothing for blasting Briere off his skates? Neither were blindside, both hitters got fsome air underneath their skates.

Shanahan has been suspension-happy ever since he got the gig. Just because he explains his reasoning on video - in the most irritating monotone I couldn't even imagine if I hadn't heard him do it naturally - doesn't change anything. The whole "supplemental discipline" idea doesn't impress me much. Hand out suspensions for things that aren't hockey plays, that's all. Head shots should be on the list but not big hits - even if the guy does get slightly airborne.

what makes me laugh a little is: try hitting something/someone while doing a hockey stop. you are going to pop up into it. go to a public session and try it against the boards. melt it all the way down and turn on your "how dumb is this league" filter, and consider rinaldo was ultimately suspended for throwing on the breaks before the hit.

that's exactly right - and it's forgotten (or ignored) all too often. Rinaldo didn't "launch himself," he did what you do when you want to stop on skates. When you do that as part of laying on a hit, 9 times out of 10 you'll get air. Big deal. That hit was night-n-day different from the Downie>McAmmond hit. Yeah I know Downie got a bunch of games and Zac "only" got 2. Still a horseshit suspension in my book.

as i cool down a little, i guess i'm ok with the suspension. they have the "if you do this, you get suspended" thing, and that helps with consistency. criteria that get checked off, and if enough are filled on a given play, punishment ensues. in the name of a predictable and consistent policy, some "yeah, buts" need to be ignored. i guess.

i just can't get passed the fact they are inconsistent anyway. they only tick off the check boxes sometimes. if you are going to codify how these things are going to becalled, then codify how they are going to be called. i can't for the life of me figure how nick kronwall doesn't have 5 or 6 multi-game suspensions by now, minimum. that flying backside is his trademark. but...i don't think he has ever been suspended at all. inspite of years and years of throwing that same launching check, he still has the benefit of not being a "repeat offender". that's crazy to me.

"i can't for the life of me figure how nick kronwall doesn't have 5 or 6 multi-game suspensions by now, minimum. that flying backside is his trademark. but...i don't think he has ever been suspended at all. inspite of years and years of throwing that same launching check, he still has the benefit of not being a "repeat offender". that's crazy to me."

Agree 100%.